Sleep Science Escape vs Restava Delano

I am looking for some help selecting a memory foam mattress for my wife and I. We are trying to keep the budget around $2000, but may be willing to go slightly higher if necessary. We both prefer a medium - firm mattress (closer to firm, but not “hard”).

I am 5’7" & 220 lbs. I am a side and stomach sleeper. My wife is 5’2" & 105 lbs. She sleeps on her side and back (could we be any more opposite :slight_smile: )

I haven’t found anything locally that we like in our price range. I am actually considering purchasing online. Right now I am looking at the Restava Delano. It is slightly cheaper, has free shipping both ways and has the comfort Gel. It has a 5.3 lb density top layer. Lastly, it has the free return shipping (only on the mattress).

I am also looking at the Sleep Science Escape at Costco. One of the biggest reasons for considering a Costco mattress is that I can return it at any time - even 2 years down the road. This mattress is slightly more expensive. It has a 2" layer of 7 lb foam and then a 3" layer of 5 lb foam.

I am confident that I can find a mattress that is comfortable in the short term. I am mostly concerned with how to determine the longevity of a memory foam mattress. Most online reviews I have read are written right after someone buys the mattress. A few are 6 months later. I haven’t really found anything that talks about what people think 5+ years later.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Hi ngiovas,

You can see some of my thoughts about Sleep Science in post #2 here and the posts it links to. On the face of it their foam densities are good but they are Chinese produced which means that their foam density may not be the polymer density of the foam (fillers increase the density of the foam but can reduce durability) and they aren’t CertiPur certified. Of course they also won’t be able to provide you with good advice about the suitability of their mattresses for your body type and sleeping style because Costco certainly aren’t what I call “mattress people”. You can read a little more about my thoughts of buying from Costco in post #4 here.

Restava on the other hand uses US manufactured foams that are CertiPur certified and are one of the members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service. When you talk with them they will also be able to provide you with much better guidance about the suitability of their mattresses in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on the averages of their customers that are similar to you. NOTE ADDED: Restava is no longer a member here since a redesign of their mattresses and they may no longer be fully transparent about the materials in their mattresses … see this topic.

Higher density memory foams are of course more durable than lower density memory foam (if the density isn’t from fillers in the memory foam) but once you are past about 6 lbs or so then the increased durability benefits of higher density is less. 5 lb or higher memory foam is a durable material and would certainly be suitable for your higher weight. Once you are above the lower 200 lbs weight range or so then I would be cautious with memory foam that was less than 5 lbs and include it in thinner layers or not at all.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. That’s exactly the type of info I was looking for. My wife and I are going to go to a couple more local shops tomorrow to try to narrow down the firmness and feel of the mattress. Restava provides a comparison of each of their mattresses to a Tempurpedic. Hopefully that will help us figure out if we are headed in the right direction.

Nick

Hi ngiovas,

I’m looking forward to hearing about what you decide on :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just a quick update. After more research, finally decided to pull the trigger on the Restava Delano. My wife and I were looking for a firm mattress and this seemed to be the best match. I called today to ask my last few questions and they offered me the following:

• 2 free memory foam pillows
  • free mattress protector
  • 7% off

This, combined with the return policy was enough to get me to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, there is a 2-3 week wait and I will be traveling at the end of the month, so I am having them hold the mattress until the end of the month and I will get it early next year. Was hoping to have it before leaving so I could enjoy it as soon as I return :wink: .

Hi ngiovas,

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good choice and as you know Restava is a member here so the MUG discount helps as well.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix