SleepEZ 10,000 Update

Hello,

It’s time for an update on my SleepEZ 10,000 Latex Talalay mattress. It was purchased in May. It is 3-layers, Soft, Med, Firm and in a Twin XL size.

Lately, due to minor surgery, I have been sleeping on my back with my head elevated slightly with extra pillows. I purchased the Soft, Med, Firm set due to the fact I am usually a side sleeper. Sleeping on my side, this mattress has been a slice of heaven, however, sleeping on my back, I have been experiencing a slight upper mid backache in the morning hours. I’m not sure if this is due to the fact that the top layer (Soft) is too soft. Maybe this weekend I’ll swap the middle layer out with the top layer (Med on top and Soft in the middle) to see if this helps. I might contact SleepEZ and have them swap the top Soft layer out for another Med layer. That way I would have a Med, Med, Firm. Other than this recent morning backache due to sleeping on my back, I love this mattress.

Hi NoMoreSprings,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s certainly not uncommon that changing sleeping positions can affect the layering that is most suitable for you.

In addition to firming up the upper layers you could also try firming up the support layers by moving the firm layer up one level which would give you (from top to bottom) Soft/Firm/Medium which may also help and if it does would allow you to sleep on a softer top layer.

Once you are clear on which combination works best for you then you would be in a better position to decide on whether a layer exchange would be a good idea.

Phoenix

NoMoreSprings,
Can you please mention your weight (dont have to be exact, a range like 160 to 200 lbs, 200 to 250 lbs etc.) which would give me an idea if I should buy the 10,000 or the 13,000 mattress from SleepEZ? I am around 200 lbs.
Also when you sit on the edge of the mattress, do you feel the bottom layer or the first 2 layers give you enough support that you dont feel the 3rd one?

Hi mattressseeker, thought I might be able to add my experience if it helps you out any. As far as sitting on the edge of a mattress, I don’t know your habits (how long you sit or intend to sit on the edge - watching t.v. or simply putting on shoes). I’ve sat on some similar builds in both talalay and dunlop latex (9-11" thick) with similar construction to soft/med/firm and it didn’t feel like going through all the top layers and just resting on the lowest. All the layers compress together and while it compressed more than laying on it, felt substantial enough to ‘sit’ for putting on shoes. No feeling of incredible dipping or sliding off (the edge didn’t mash totally flat in other words). It felt a bit firmer due to the higher compression of the sitting position, but not incredibly uncomfortable. I don’t know for extended periods (say 30min to an hr+ as if seated to watch a movie). I’m right at almost 200lbs (195 give or take) and was able to comfortably sit on the edge without compressing halfway through the layers or feeling like I was resting solely on a firm bottom layer.

Other than different firmness constructions, I didn’t notice any major differences ‘sinking through’ the upper layers between a thicker construction like the PLB Nutrition (11" talalay) and a soft/med/firm SavvyRest (9" dunlop) or the PLB Pamper (8" talalay). Overall latex is pretty supportive and much more so as a mattress (compared to individual layers raw by themselves outside of a mattress or ‘samples’ regardless if they’re small pieces or sized like a seat cushion).

Hello mattressseeker, I am about 150 LBS. When I sit on the edge of the mattress, the top layer feels soft, but not too soft, I feel enough support. As far as getting the 13,000 over the 10,000, that’s a tough one, I’m not sure what differences you would feel, maybe more support from the lower layers.

You might want to call SleepEZ and speak to one of the sales people and ask them which one to go with according to your weight and height. Also ask them which choice of firmness to go with and the choices of Talalay and/or Dunlop. Spend some quality time on the phone with them, that’s what I did and I don’t regret it. I’m sure if you picked the 13,000, you wouldn’t be sorry.

I hope this helps.

Brass and NoMoreSprings,
Appreciate your responses. Is there anyone specific at SleepEZ that you
would recommend talking to?
We sometimes sleep vertically so I was wondering how would different
layering/firmness would work out. Any input will be valuable.
Also did you notice that dunlops smell goes away with time or will
it stay forever?

I have the Talalay, I did notice a slight odor for about two weeks, but nothing overwhelming. As far as who to talk to there I would just call the number. The person I talked to was Shawn and he was great. I’m sure anyone there could help you to make the right purchase.

“I have been sleeping on my back with my head elevated slightly with extra pillows” ---- I suspect this is causing the upper back pain.

Thank you, Km.

I had a nasal cauterization performed and I was instructed to elevate my head at night for about 10 days. Once this passes, I definitely will try sleeping on my back without any extra pillows to see if the back discomfort goes away.

Thank you again.

Oh no! My father had that done. The pain is unimaginable. Good look with your recovery!

On the bright side no more nose bleeds for you!

The primary reason manufacturers sell 13" mattresses is because of customer demand from those who assume there is a correlation between mattress thickness and quality. This is a myth that has been foisted upon us by the mainstream mattress industry with their pillow-top mattresses (which are actually not high quality at all). 8–10" will easily accommodate the needs of the vast majority of people. There may be exceptions to this—those who are extremely heavy or those who require (or prefer) the particularly high degree of fine tuning afforded by 4 layers in a 13" mattress. However, 13" of mattress will provide no advantage whatsoever to most of us.

On another note—when discussing the suitability of a mattress for a given individual, weight is only meaningful in relationship to height. Someone who weighs 180, for instance, might range anywhere from scrawny to morbidly obese. (Of course, more polite terms are ordinarily used on this forum.) In other words, if you mention your weight, please mention your height as well!

Hi Bedimpediment,

I certainly agree with your sentiment here. There may be cases where some people prefer the difference in “feel” between some mattresses in thicker versions than in thinner versions (such as a 12" latex mattress vs a 9" latex mattress in a similar combination of firmness levels) and it’s not uncommon in a showroom where people can test mattresses in person there will usually be a higher percentage of people that choose a 12" latex mattress than there would be with online sales because of differences that they can actually “feel” but this would be much more of a matter of preference than “need” and in some cases it can also work against them if they are not testing the mattress carefully and objectively and are only going by “showroom feel”.

As you also mentioned those that are in much higher weight ranges (approaching the 300 lb range or so) or that prefer additional additional fine tuning options may do better with some extra thickness or layers but I completely agree with you that in almost all cases it would be a matter of preference not of “need” and for the large majority of people 8" - 10" would be completely suitable (see post #14 here).

It’s unfortunate that so many people equate mattress thickness with “luxury” or “quality” and in some cases with mainstream mattresses this can leave the door open for some retailers to sell them a mattress that not only is not what they need or would do best with … but can break down much more quickly if the thicker mattress uses lower quality materials (such as in most of the mainstream pillowtops that as you mentioned are so commonly sold today).

I completely agree with you here as well. Weight distribution and body shape and proportion (along with sleeping position which affects the amount of surface area contact between a person and their mattress) has a much greater effect than just weight itself.

Thanks for your post :slight_smile:

Phoenix