SleepEZ 10k on order.

I have them and I really love them. They are very soft and comfortable to sleep on.

I have the Sleep EZ 10,000 mattress too (S, M, F). Thanks for the tip. I’ll have to check on this, however, I’ve only had my mattress for two weeks.

90 day review:

The mattress has basically settled in. Everything is fine, no issues, or concerns. We’ve traveled a bit these past couple of months and it’s interesting how the feeling of sleeping on latex differs from innerspring. I always look forward to getting home and into the latex. Neither of us have found the need to move layers around as the S/M/F setup appears to be working well. My wife suggested that we flip the top layer so that any wear evens out. I doubt it’s necessary but I’m not inclined to disagree as the “juice isn’t worth the squeeze” if you guys know what I mean. In any case, if I can remember I’ll give a six month and 1 year review.

Hi Km,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that things are working out so well for you and now that you are past your break in and adjustment period you can look forward to sleeping well for many years to come.

Phoenix

6 Month Update:

Both of us are still sleeping reasonably well. There has been a new development however. A few weeks (1-2 months) ago I noticed that the top two layers on my spouses side had shifted due to the appearance of a bulge along the outer edge of her side of the mattress. I unzipped the mattress and confirmed that the top two layers on her side had shifted away from the center by approx 1" (top layer) and .5" (middle layer) . I inquired with EZ about potentially gluing the halves together and I believe I also asked if there was something which may cause the shifting. I had not received a reply. I also conversed with our resident expert (Phoenix) via pm as well.

It was suggested that perhaps the sections were stretched when the bed was built and that resetting the sections in a more relaxed/normal state would prohibit the shifting. I rebuilt the bed trying to make sure the the cover as square as possible and added the sections with minimial waving.

Yesterday I noticed that her side has again shifted (she sleeps in the center/left side of the bed) so I will rebuild the bed again before I consider gluing the halves of each section together (We have same S/M/F profile).

What I did notice and I never thought about last time is that the sections seem ever so slightly longer than a queen. I wonder if with the compression created by zipping up the mattress that it is this extra length that is causing the center of these sections to relax which allows them to then shift.

I also wonder if this is more likely to happen on a queen because both occupants are sleeping closer to the center when compared to a king size mattress.

In any case this is where I’m at now. For those of you that have glued halves back together did you re-align the sections to re-form the pinholes that were originally sliced in half?

My wife hasn’t complained about this shifting causing her a problem but it is bothersome to me with my OC.

Have a great weekend!

Hi Km,

[quote] A few weeks (1-2 months) ago I noticed that the top two layers on my spouses side had shifted due to the appearance of a bulge along the outer edge of her side of the mattress. I unzipped the mattress and confirmed that the top two layers on her side had shifted away from the center by approx 1" (top layer) and .5" (middle layer) . I inquired with EZ about potentially gluing the halves together and I believe I also asked if there was something which may cause the shifting. I had not received a reply. I also conversed with our resident expert (Phoenix) via pm as well.

It was suggested that perhaps the sections were stretched when the bed was built and that resetting the sections in a more relaxed/normal state would prohibit the shifting. I rebuilt the bed trying to make sure the the cover as square as possible and added the sections with minimial waving.[/quote]

The issues you are having are certainly not the norm with split layering so I’m certainly curious about what may be the cause.

The only things that could normally cause these types of issues that I could think of would be either putting the mattress together with one of more layers somewhat “bunched up” inside the cover where part of the layers are more stretched and part are more compressed (this would be the most common reason), an issue with the foundation underneath the mattress, moving the mattress, or the cover loosening or stretching more than normal (unlikely but possible).

You may need to do a little more than “minimal” waving to put the layers into their ideal position where they are square and not stretched outside of their “relaxed” shape because latex can be very stretchy and it’s very easy to put the layers inside the cover with the inside part of the layer stretched a bit and the outside areas bunched. In these cases you would need to lift the edge and “wave” the layer into position at the same time as you are “pushing” towards the center so that the layers are more evenly compressed and distributed (you can see an example here of another member that mentioned how the layers didn’t seem to be the correct size or fit right inside the cover). If anything I would try to make the middle a little more “bunched” and the outer edges a little more “stretched”.

I would also check the foundation just to make sure there are no issues underneath your mattress that could be allowing some areas of your mattress to sink into the foundation more than the others which could cause layers to shift.

One of these should solve any shifting issues you may have but the first step would always be to phone Shawn at SleepEZ because he may have some additional suggestions as well.

If you do decide to glue the layers together then you can use a glue such as here or here and any upholstery shop should also be able to provide you with a spray glue that would be suitable. While it isn’t really necessary … I would try to match each side as “best practice”.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleeplikeabear.com/Latex%20Foam%20Project%20Tools%20Latex%20Glue%20and%20Accessories

One other suggestion is that it can be a good idea to flip the layers (or at least the top layers) once or twice a year because it can help even out any compression over time and slightly extend the life of the layers (see post #2 here). While this isn’t “necessary” because latex is already the most durable foam material anyway … every little bit can help :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I’m planning on giving it another go this weekend. I did flip the top layer when I rebuilt the bed a few weeks ago. It is strange that only the top two layers move. This time I’m going to rotate the cover 180 degrees and see if I can replicate the movement on my side. It’ll be a few weeks before I can report back.

Hi Km,

I’m looking forward to your feedback in 2 weeks … but I would make sure you give Shawn a phone call in the meantime.

Phoenix

Interm feedback :

I rotated the cover 180 degrees and rebuilt the bed where my side now contains the layers which are suspected of shifting. I noticed that the top two layers of this particular side are about .25"-.50" wider than the base layer. I wonder if that’s why these layers are shifting? They’re getting stretched when she sits on the edge of the bed.

More to come in a couple of weeks.

Hi Km,

The latex is so stretchy that it doesn’t have “exact” dimensions so it could be from the bottom layer being bunched or the top two layers being stretched. If you pick up the edge of the top layers and “wave” them like you would a sheet that you are putting over the bed and push a little towards the center you can even out the edges. The video here or here (from about the 3:00 minute mark) will give you examples of what I mean. If you make little adjustments as you are putting together the layers to keep them flush and square this will help the latex to lie in a more relaxed and square position. If your foundation is flush (like the second video) rather than recessed (like the first video) then you can fold back the cover over the foundation when you assemble the layers and then lift the edges of the cover back up once the layers are flush and zip it up. It should be a tight fit.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: youtube.com/watch?v=8vJIgs5mjOU | Archived Footprint 2: youtube.com/watch?v=-agWGkjRKKU

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=43088]Hi Km,

The latex is so stretchy that it doesn’t have “exact” dimensions so it could be from the bottom layer being bunched or the top two layers being stretched. If you pick up the edge of the top layers and “wave” them like you would a sheet that you are putting over the bed and push a little towards the center you can even out the edges. The video here or here (from about the 3:00 minute mark) will give you examples of what I mean. If you make little adjustments as you are putting together the layers to keep them flush and square this will help the latex to lie in a more relaxed and square position. If your foundation is flush (like the second video) rather than recessed (like the first video) then you can fold back the cover over the foundation when you assemble the layers and then lift the edges of the cover back up once the layers are flush and zip it up. It should be a tight fit.

Phoenix[/quote]
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: youtube.com/watch?v=8vJIgs5mjOU| Archived Footprint 2: youtube.com/watch?v=-agWGkjRKKU

I agree but in this case the top two layers are physically wider than the bottom. I was unable to get them flush with the bottom layer. We’ll see how it works out. If it continues to be a problem I’ll contact Sleep EZ.

Hi Km,

If the difference is only 1/2" or so then it shouldn’t make any difference and the cover would “squish them” but you can change the dimensions of a 3" latex layer by that much by pulling or pushing on it so you could make a latex layer either 1/2" longer, shorter, narrower, or wider by adjusting the layer.

If you do continue to have any issues with shifting then I would certainly call Shawn because it’s also possible that the cover may not be tight enough (it should be a tight fit when you zip it up).

Phoenix

1 Year Review:

We’ve had the mattress set for almost a year (11+ months) and it continues to provide ample support. Some may have seen an issue in Sept '14 regarding some shifting and irregular sized layers (Top 2 are wider than the base layer). I rebuilt the bed (squared the cover with the foundation), placed the layers in such a way so they interlaced with each other. The top two layers don’t seem to have shifted again but I did shift the excess portion of the top two layers to my side of the bed since I don’t sit on or sleep near the edge. These layers extend about .5" over the bottom layer and I can feel the overhang. While the mattress cover does squish the layers somewhat we must remember that the top side of the cover (what you lay on top of) stretches by design so it will allow the top edge of the sides of the cover to flex. The most important thing is that I’m not loosing sleep over it so I’m not going to worry about it.

The foundation has held up fine. No squeaks or odd sounds that would suggest a bolt has eased loose.

If I could do it all over again would I order another latex bed such as the SleepEZ? - Yes I would.

Great feedback. Interesting to read the issues with layer shifting, and glad you’re happy with the mattress after a full year of living with it.

My first latex mattress comes early next week!

Hi Km,

Thanks for taking the time to share a 1 year update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: Just to let you know … the email you used in your mattress forum registration is bouncing.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=50524]Hi Km,

Thanks for taking the time to share a 1 year update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: Just to let you know … the email you used in your mattress forum registration is bouncing.[/quote]

fixed

Year 2

The mattress continues to perform flawlessly. We haven’t experienced what you would consider considerable shifting of the individual layers of latex. I checked a few months ago and there was a half inch gap with regards to the top most layer, Keep in mind we weren’t having a problem as I was just curious. The wooden foundation has remained squeak free as well!

Overall we continue to be very happy with our purchase.

Hi Km,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update after 2 years … I appreciate it!

It’s unusual that a member comes back to post their experiences after 2 years and it’s great to hear that your mattress worked out so well for you. With the durability of latex it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many more years as well :).

Phoenix

It’s 2022 and time for another review.

Hard to believe that it has been 8 years but here we are so let’s get to it !

No 1 - Frame. We purchased the basic wooden frame. No squeaks or creaks. I’ve never messed with it after putting it together.

No 2 - Cover. The top cover has developed some give over the years. The result is that the layers on one side no longer remain stacked as tightly as they used to. The top layer slightly overhangs the middle layer which also has a slight overhang of the bottom layer. Obviously this creates about a 1-inch gap in the center which I sometimes notice. Perhaps it’s time for a new cover. I’ll reach out to SleepEZ…

No 3 - Latex layers. I’ve restacked and/or shuffled a layer perhaps twice over the years. At the time I noticed that the top-bottom side of each layer exhibited some minor wear which I would attribute to the friction generated by the weight of the layers on top of it as well as the shifting of the occupants. However what I believe is most important is that the bed has NOT developed any noticeable sagging.

Within the last couple of months we replaced the mattress pad with something that is waterproof and has more padding. The padding wasn’t as important as being waterproof due to some aging pets. I would’ve preferred the same pad which came with the bed but it wasn’t my decision.

Hi Km,
Thanks once again for taking the time to share yet another “hold up” report of your SleepEZ (Trusted Member of our site) mattress after 8 years of constant use. :cheer:

It looks like the mattress is still in good shape. The top cover’s normal “wear and tear” does not seem to have too much of an impact on the mattress’s performance and as you say it’s simple to fix with a new well-fitted encasement that’ll hold everything in place against the top layer shifts.

I am sure that I am speaking for many others that may benefit from your update and feedback as well. The details you provided should be useful not only to other subscribers looking for mattress longevity indicators but to the manufacturer themselves… I appreciate it!

I’d be very interested to follow the further life story of this mattress and any additional updates you have the chance to share.
Phoenix