SleepEZ 13,000 Journal

sagefemme,

I too started out with S,M, F. but all natural talalay not the blend. The 3" soft was too soft and with the thick mattress cover on it, created a hammock effect. Iā€™ve tried so many combinations of layers and Iā€™m still trying to get it right. I do believe that the support layers should be firmer. Iā€™ve tried softer on the bottom and it did not feel supportive enough. We are fairly light and not tall. I am also a side sleeper, which i think is trickier on latex. Itā€™s tough to balance the pressure relief and sinking of hips, shoulders, and ribcage. If I slept on my back or stomach, I could go much firmer with the latex. Still trying to decide if I can live with latex or look for something else.

jackintheday,

yes, try it with the cover off. It can greatly effect the feel. You might want to put a thick mattress pad on top to try.

Hi sagefemme,

Youā€™re certainly right about this. Itā€™s never ceases to amaze me how big a difference there can be in the perception of softness/firmness on the same material between different people. At least one forum member I can think of even commented about how 40 ILD Dunlop was to soft for them and yet some others find that even something as soft as 19 ILD feels to firm for them.

Softness/firmness is certainly something that can be very individual and subjective.

Phoenix

The numb arm is not really happening any more, probably mostly the pillows. It seems the good old fashioned regular pillow may be the best bet, with cotton/acrylic stuffing, just need to buy a new one.

I switched to M-S-F-XF for a couple nights. My hip sinks down a good amount further this way. It did not cause my lower back any pain in the morning and I felt like I slept well but the perception of sinking down and not having an aligned back is bothering me a bit, whether this is the case or not.

I wonder what the recommendd method of softening one step down from M-M-F-XF is? Would it be M-S-F-XF like I tried or something else? Will have to ask sleepez.

I will be switching back to M-M-F-XF tonight as this config is pretty good and getting better.

Is there a benefit to rotating the bottom medium layer to top so it can be broken in and softened up, so the top two layers of medium will both be broken in, or is it better to leave the bottom medium less broken in and underneath the top layer?

Hi jaybackintheday,

This would depend to some degree whether you mean ā€œpressure relief softnessā€ or ā€œsupport softnessā€ (see post #15 here about the different types of softness) but the next step down from M-M-F-XF would be either what you suggested (M-S-F-XF) or S-M-F-XF. Switching the bottom layer to Firm or the third layer to Medium would also soften the mattress but changes in deeper layers are less obvious (although there are certainly some people who will feel it).

Which layer to change (or which layers to re-arrange) really depends on the specific symptom you are looking to reduce or the specific outcome you are hoping for.

I would focus more on using the combination that produces the results you are looking for without worrying about changing layers for the sake of breaking them in which could compromise PPP.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=36865]Hi jaybackintheday,

This would depend to some degree whether you mean ā€œpressure relief softnessā€ or ā€œsupport softnessā€ (see post #15 here about the different types of softness) but the next step down from M-M-F-XF would be either what you suggested (M-S-F-XF) or S-M-F-XF. Switching the bottom layer to Firm or the third layer to Medium would also soften the mattress but changes in deeper layers are less obvious (although there are certainly some people who will feel it).

Which layer to change (or which layers to re-arrange) really depends on the specific symptom you are looking to reduce or the specific outcome you are hoping for.

I would focus more on using the combination that produces the results you are looking for without worrying about changing layers for the sake of breaking them in which could compromise PPP.

Phoenix[/quote]

Im looking for more pressure relief softness. Last night I put a cheaper 2" memory foam topper on top and it felt quite nice, better than it did on my old spring mattress. Maybe the combo of latex with pressure relief mem foam on top is the sweet spot for me.
I have a feeling just a 1" 8lb venus topper might be nice but it seems the venus memory foam is discontinued? Do you know of any other 7-8lb quality toppers? Actually maybe a 5lb topper would be a better bet for availability and priceā€¦ I like idea of something thin like 1" though if it will fit inside the mattress cover. Thanks

Hi jaybackintheday,

This would be accomplished either by replacing a layer with another one that was the same thickness with something that was softer or by adding additional thickness/softness in the form of a topper.

This is certainly possible and I tend not to argue with someoneā€™s personal experience :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know of anywhere that you can currently buy a 7 or 8 lb memory foam topper.

I would also keep in mind that most 4 lb memory foam will tend to feel softer than most 5 lb memory foam although this isnā€™t always the case. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to may help you use your actual sleeping experience as a guideline to help you decide on the type, thickness, and softness of a topper that you believe may work best for you.

Phoenix

Looking to buy this same mattress. Great info following this thread and definitely helpful. Glad I stumbled upon this forum.

Just pulled the trigger on the SleepEZ 13,000. Will update on my experiences.

Hi mdunbar,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when youā€™ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I have been following this thread. I just pulled the trigger on the SleepEZ 10,000, Talalay blended latex. It wont arrive for about another week. Iā€™ll update on my experiences after Iā€™ve slept on it for a while. Thank you for this website and this thread.

Hi NoMoreSprings,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad the site could help you and Iā€™m also looking forward to your update and feedback.

Phoenix

Well, the mattress came earlier than I thought it would so I got to sleep on the bed for the first time Thursday night. I can sum up my first night experience laying on a Talalay Latex bed in one word, WOW!

But the question is, why did I wait so long? Iā€™ve been sleeping on those steel spring beds all my life.

The bed is so soft and comfortable youā€™d think that it couldnā€™t possibly support your back, but it does so with aplomb. Iā€™m a side sleeper and I experienced no shoulder or hip fatigue at all, it was unbelievable. The Latex pillows are very soft and supportive too. So far, Iā€™m beyond pleased.

The only negative I can think of was the packing, they told me that it would come in two boxes, but instead it came in only one heavy box. I had to dig down a little to pull out the mattress cover, but once I found it the bed came together fairly quickly.

My friend told me this morning that I would have done much better getting memory foam instead of Latex, but after last night Iā€™m not so sure about that.

Itā€™s a little weird, now Iā€™m looking forward to bedtime, itā€™s like I canā€™t wait. I will keep you posted with more updates as time progresses. Thanks for listening.

Hi NoMoreSprings,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It sounds like you and your mattress are a great match!

Iā€™m guessing that your friend is probably well meaning but isnā€™t particularly knowledgeable about mattress materials :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Update:

Iā€™ve been sleeping on the 10,000 mattress now since Thursday night the 22nd and I still love it! Itā€™s actually hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Iā€™ve noticed that my right hip and shoulder donā€™t feel fatigued anymore, joint fatigue was a constant problem I had with my 20 year old Bonnell spring bed that I got rid of.

I also received the refund check in the mail today. Now if I can find a good comforter I think Iā€™ll be set. Thanks again for your website.

Hi NoMoreSprings,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Two of the three boxes arrived on May 23rd. 3rd box came today. UPS issues and no big deal to me. I also received my 5% discount check today. It took my wife and me 30 minutes to put the mattress together. I look forward to my first nights sleep. Will give an update tomorrow.

Hi mdunbar,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ and I hope you enjoy your first night on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello mdunbar,

Congratulations on your new SleepEZ 13,000. Iā€™ll bet that you both will really love it. For me, it didnā€™t take two weeks, I loved it after the first night, it was like a new pair of jeans that felt broken in and fit just right. I guess I got lucky, but Iā€™m not going to complain. :cheer:

Been a little over 1 month now.

I find the mattress a bit too firm around shoulder area for me but my wife seems to like her side with soft on top, as she is not saying much so I think thatā€™s a good thing. I think I prefer the side with soft on top, still doesnā€™t feel super soft to me but I am concerned about durability with my weight so I will stick with the 2 mediums on my side, and although a bit firm I appreciate the support.

I had been using a ~2" cheaper memory foam topper on my side which seemed to work well and give shoulders pressure relief but it gave me feeling of maybe being out of alignment a bit too much so I ordered a 1" 5.3lb memory foam topper from foamorder and this feels nice without feeling of losing much support. I may try another 1" layer later, maybe a 1.5" would be perfect if they had that. Perhaps one day I will experiment with some thin super soft latex toppers but all these things cost money so it will be a slow experimentation process. I may try placing the 1" memory foam topper inside the cover if it will fit and see how that feels.

All in all I am happy with bed IF it maintains its support and doesnā€™t wear out for many years, at least 4-5 otherwise it will lose most merit.

jaybackintheday,

Iā€™m considering purchasing a 1" or 2" 5.3 memory foam topper from foamorder too. Can you tell me your thoughts on this topper?
Does it have a strong smell and does it feel hot?