SleepEZ 13,000 Journal

Hi jaybackintheday,

That was fast … so far so good :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Mattress arrived Friday afternoon! Ordered it on Monday night. Came in 4 large boxes about 3.5-4ft tall. I slept in it first time last night. The mattress seems very nice and well built. I have Medium-Medium-Firm-Xfirm. I have pictures and more details later tonight but I will report it feels nice but my shoulder was numb and I didn’t sleep well first night but it is vastly different from my other coil mattress so I need time to adapt. I am thinking about Medium-Soft-Firm-Xfirm or the soft layer underneath medium if that makes sense? Lots of pics coming later. Everything is as advertised and mattress/company is legit so far. Will ask wife how she slept with her soft top layer.

Hi jaybackintheday,

Thanks for the update.

I’m looking forward to your pictures and of course any ongoing feedback you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

OK here are attached pics of the setup process.

You can see its a tall thick mattress. Has better edge support/resistance than my old thinner coil mattress does.

My wife also noted her side was a little firm feeling for her, even with soft-medium-firm-xfirm layering, she may need 2 softs on top.

I took a nap earlier this afternoon on her side, with the soft on top and it felt pretty good to me better than my medium-medium-firm-xfirm side, even though I am ~260lbs.

My shoulders just from the nap feel a little numb though. I am a bit concerned about the shoulders and firmness right now. I wonder about durability of sleeping on top a soft layer on top with my weight? maybe I will try medium with soft underneath it and see how that feels.

If this is anything like our malouf latex pillow than after 2-3 months it will probably soften up a bit but at that point it will be beyond return period. We will try these layers for a good 10 days or so before seeing if we need to switch out layers for diff firmness.

I have an open mind about this and am giving it a good try before making changes. It feels softer than my firm coil mattress so Im wondering why my shoulder feel this way, they did at first on the coil I remember and then went away, I think the body/mind need to adapt and make slight adjustments to sleeping positions and will get better. The shoulder feeling could also be related to the shoulder workout I had yesterday, though it is not the feeling of muscle soreness from workout just numb feeling but it could be indirectly related to the workout so maybe it will go away soon.

My back and all other parts of the body felt fine though. I have been having lower back issues lately and first night on this mattress i did not have any lower back pain in morning and through standing most the day. Seems to keep the body aligned nicely adn supportive.

The pillows are a bit thin and small but they are not bad, especially since they are free. It may be worth people paying the extra for the larger queen or king sized ones. They are pretty soft and depress down easily but actually a good height for my side sleeping if it was just a bit firmer maybe.

Hi jackintheday,

Thanks for the feedback and the pictures :slight_smile:

Your experience on the mattress will likely change as it breaks in and you get used to a new sleeping surface so I wouldn’t make any changes for at least a couple of weeks (unless you absolutely need to) but there are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

A shoulder issue can often be connected to your pillow as well because a pillow that is too thin for you when you are side sleeping can put additional pressure on your shoulders but one nights experience isn’t really enough to know for certain.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I tried changing pillows as suggested and it seemed to help. The ones it came with were too thin. Finding the perfect pillow seems just as hard as perfect mattress! I have about 5 different types of pillows and still searching now.

Night two was still a bit of struggle getting to sleep but better than the first night. Once I fell asleep after some tossing and turning it seemed I stayed asleep longer than first night. After changing pillows my arm is just ever so slightly a bit numb but barely discernible now and I suspect will resolve soon. My wife also changed pillows from the stock free one and commented it helped some. I feel once it softens up just a bit after break in the sweet spot could be achieved.

My wife commented how its harder to side sleep on this and I was thinking same thing last night as well. It almost feels as if I have to maintain a perfect side position to feel grounded and not as easily be at a hybrid type angle? I found myself sleeping on my back to more easily get to sleep for comfort reasons which isn’t a usual starting position for me though sometimes I would end up on my back over course of night with old mattress. I believe if it softens up some and reduces the ‘resistance’ a bit it will be very nice. This is all still probably muscle memory being relearned right now. I wonder if dunlop would have less of this lively resistance feeling and be better for side sleeping? I need more time before anything else though.

Hi jaybackintheday,

I couldn’t agree more … and for some people it can be even more difficult because personal preferences can play a bigger role in choosing a pillow. There is more about pillows in the pillow thread here.

I also agree about the break in and adjustment period and how much “muscle memory” can affect this (see post #7 here).

The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is more of a preference issue than a “better/worse” issue. Talalay is more resilient and “lively” than Dunlop but there are probably more side sleepers that prefer Talalay than the other way around (although each person would have their own preferences). It would also depend on the specific firmness and thickness of the comfort layer and how they combine with the rest of the layers as well because both Talalay and Dunlop come in a range of firmness levels. There is more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

When you have a new mattress most people will be sensitive to all the new “sensations” and all the differences between it and the mattress they were used to and it can take a while for the focus to switch to more of a “body” experience and how well you sleep in general and less on the “mind” or “analytical” parts of your experience that looks at everything that is “new” in much more detail.

Phoenix

Received 5% refund check promptly in the mail already.

Third night was again a little easier to fall asleep but still took a bit of time. Part of it I think is figuring out which of many pillow to use and which works best with this best also I didn’t feel real tired either which maybe played a role… I did feel I slept pretty deeply and my wife said the same thing. She tells me she likes the mattress. Each night I lay down it feels less foreign and more normal to me, along with feeling more comfortable.

Also Discover card is considering mattress purchase ‘home improvement’ so people can get 5% off right now on mattresses up to $1500 ($75 back)

Will report back in 3-4 days now.

FWIW I am 225 and M/S/F/XF is about all the firmness I can take. Your M/M sounds a bit on the firm side.

Soft on top is better, but not quite durable enough so I am looking at an alternate layer between S and M.

She is on M/S/M/F only because my one M layer is a full layer.

Mine is blended talalay

Hi TD-MAX,

Also FWIW … it would be very easy to cut the layer in half using an electric knife if that becomes necessary.

Some people in higher weight ranges would also find M/M too soft and there have even been a few forum members that have said that even a single 6" 40 ILD Dunlop core was softer than they preferred (although I personally find that hard to imagine). It’s always amazing to me how individual and subjective softness and firmness can really be.

Phoenix

I have also decided on the SleepEZ 10 or 13. I had made up my mind to purchase a Bed in a Box unit. I tested some mattresses today but found too much variance to even start to decide. I like the “build-ability” and “change-ability” of the EZ concept and hope with the different combinations I can find a set-up I can use. I will post my review once I receive and have had a chance to sleep on the bed. Many thanks to Phoenix for all your insight.

My wife and I are considering the 13,000 from SleepEZ as well. Thank you for your thoughts thus far and for the heads up for 5% cash back with Discover!

Hi lasario,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you’ve made a great choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Yes we both find it a bit firm even after more than a week now. Feels like it softened up in my hip area some but my shoulder area could be softer. I actually like my wifes side better with the soft on top of medium even though I am ~260. I feels better on my shoulder side sleeping. She even finds the soft on top a bit firm so maybe two layers of soft would be better for her she is around 100lbs.

Most nights I still flip back and forth quite a bit but when I do fall asleep I stay asleep and don’t feel sore in the mornings… We are still giving it more time. I am even thinking of a thin 2" layer of 5lb memory foam on top to relieve the shoulder but I will wait some time for that, until after a comfort exchange.

Even despite this she likes the mattress and doesn’t want a return and I still feel its a solid mattress that will probably last awhile and would rather not return it, it is not bad, just need to adjust things right and give it more time. We will ask sleepez what they recommend for softer feel since we both told him we prefer the ‘firmer more supportive feel’ while I now realize we both should have said we prefer softer feel.

I would even consider soft on top even if it means replacing the layer every 2-3 years for ~$350, spread out over years its not bad though not ideal.
Should also be noted I’m taking antibiotics right now unfortunately which I believe is affecting my perception and ability to fall asleep… will be done in another week or so.

This is just my experience and observation… I don’t think liking a firm traditional coil/spring mattress translates into being comfortable on a firm latex mattress. To me they are totally different animals. I know latex companies ask customers what they have liked sleeping on in the past, but if they are new to latex, firmness is difficult to predict. There are many people who find that latex, even of soft ilds, has a hard feel when you body totally relaxes at night. Many people end up trying to go softer and softer at the surface, adding things like lanoodle toppers and other materials to ease the feel of latex. I have added a convoluted polyfoam 1.5" topper over latex to lesson the latex feel. Like you mentioned, memory foam might work for you as well. How do you find the mattress cover to feel? It has wool quilted in it, correct? The cover I had did as well and really made my latex mattress too firm and uncomfortable. Just a few thoughts.

This discussion is so interesting to me. I have had a SleepEz 10,000 for about a month and a half, started with soft-med-firm (top to bottom) of blended Talalay, and can’t seem to make it firm enough for my husband. I am now pretty happy with the firm layer on top. I have asked SleepEz to send an extra firm and another firm layer in exchange since we now have soft on the bottom which does not seem very supportive. I was surprised by how “too soft” the soft layer on top was (we gave that up after one night) since I thought I would like soft on top. To each his own, I guess.

Yes I agree seems like it has a hard feel to it, like it doesn’t want to comply enough even if soft? The topper is quite thick and does have wool inside. My wife was suggesting we try it without the topper on to see how it feel as the material felt so soft to our hands but then the topper really evens it out and makes it firmer. Will try without and see how that feels.

The soft is very soft. Feels like I mostly go right through it and can feel the medium underneath but it works for relieving pressure on my shoulder and feels better to me since I am heavy. Maybe a thinner topper on top the two medium layers I have would be a better method.

sagefemme,

I too started out with S,M, F. but all natural talalay not the blend. The 3" soft was too soft and with the thick mattress cover on it, created a hammock effect. I’ve tried so many combinations of layers and I’m still trying to get it right. I do believe that the support layers should be firmer. I’ve tried softer on the bottom and it did not feel supportive enough. We are fairly light and not tall. I am also a side sleeper, which i think is trickier on latex. It’s tough to balance the pressure relief and sinking of hips, shoulders, and ribcage. If I slept on my back or stomach, I could go much firmer with the latex. Still trying to decide if I can live with latex or look for something else.

jackintheday,

yes, try it with the cover off. It can greatly effect the feel. You might want to put a thick mattress pad on top to try.