SleepEZ 13000 review

We’ve seen some major issues with some of the vendors here so I’d like to document my experience with the one that I chose and hopefully things go well.

On Friday 1-11-13 I submitted my order online for a SleepEZ 13000 in Queen size with foundation and 2 queen pillows. I had talked with Shawn numerous times prior to placing my order. About an hour after placing my order I received a follow up phone call to verify my order and my request for Radium brand latex. I also received email verification and invoice that same evening.

On 1-14-13 I received email confirmation with tracking numbers showing that my mattress set should arrive on Friday 1-18-13.

The configuration used when ordering should allow me a good bit of adjustment:

Medium not split
soft-soft split
med-firm split
firm-ex firm split

The basis for my configuration choice is the fact that we both liked the Pure Latex Bliss Nutrition which has a medium ILD upper and softer middle. I could have purchased the PLB locally for several hundred dollars less, but the price seemed too low to be right and I also wanted to have the ability to not only tune my own mattress, but also to be able to refurbish if I felt it getting soft in any way. My 3-5 year cycle should now be broken.

As a businessman and owner of an online store i have to say that Sleepez has been excellent so far. I’m going to try to make a New Years resolution and let a bit of Shawn’s patience rub off on me. I need to be nicer to my customers and hopefully with a decent mattress I’ll mellow out a bit.

FYI I was caught in a loop with the S brand junk. Stearns and Foster Swanwick in 2004 warranted to Sealy Beachside in 2009 and the Beachside is sagged out in 3 years and battling for warranty replacement yet again.

Hi TD-Max,

Congratulations on your new mattress … and it’s great to know that your “mattress cycle” will finally be broken :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback and the final configuration you end up with … and of course to knowing the outcome (and hopefully a resolution) of your “other” mattress issues.

I know what you mean about Shawn’s even and patient demeanor. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him ruffled.

Thanks again for your ongoing feedback and contributions to the forum.

Phoenix

On Friday 1-18-2013 the brown truck arrived as scheduled with my bundle from Sleepez. The pkgs were entered as 100#, 100#, and 80# but this is based on dimensional weight. We threw them on our UPS scale and noted the actual weights on each box. The cartons were VERY well sealed with lots of staples and double wall cardboard

The contents were bagged tithly especially the latex layers which were rolled up, wrapped in black plastic taped, vacuumed to shring and then inserted inside heavy clear poly tube sheet and taped shut again. The tube on the left contains 2 soft sheets (split) and the cover. In the middle is one of the pillows and on the right is a full sheet medium.

We unpacked all the layers and let them stand a bit to warm up more than anything.

Next was the box spring. This is a kit form but relatively easy to assemble once you see what the concept is. The instructions included were terrible. I’d have done better if the pieces were simply marked or branded with a wood burner showing top etc. Once I realized that the recessed side faced up and the slats sat in the recess it was pretty simple.

The wood used is marked HT or heat treated. This means it has been heated to ensure no bugs.

Here is the start of assembly:

Here is the finished assembly:

Here are some wayward staples that did not belong and needed to be pulled.

Here is the completed unit with the cover installed:

This is an honest and unbiased review so the bad comes with the good.

Aside from teh staples being in one of the slats, the unit is prety decent overall. The slats just lay in the channel and are bound together with strapping. There is velcro on each end of both side rails. The end slats stick onto the velcro. This is not exceptionally secure. I’m wishing I had sot a couple brads into each slat to secure to the rails, but now with the mattress on they are secure and noise seems minimal. I guess in a perfect world I would done the assembly in the shop and used Gorilla glue or a construction adhesive at all joints and on the slats. This is the key to silence.

I guess this is wher ethe uncertainty and excitement got the better of me and I stopped taking pictures. I guess there are a lot of videos out there showing how to stack the layers in and zip up. Also plenty of pics of teh Cotton/wool cover online. I stacked it as follows

Hers His

Medium one pc sheet
Soft soft
Med X-firm
Firm Firm

This config has the lower layer doing effectively nothing but filler. We’ll try it out and see how it works. I should also note that there is a definite difference from side to side, but it is relatively subtle. The X firm latex is unique. It feels like I’ve seen Dunlop described in that it has a very firm almost starchy surface on the one side. I may look to swap out the bottom layer for a full sheet of medium so that a few years down the road I can swap out to a fresh top layer. Time will tell on this part.

Here is a picture of the labeling on the layers:

Hi TD-Max,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review and especially for the pictures (for those of us that are more visual).

This is also an interesting and very helpful comment because you are feeling the difference in the third layer down which as you mentioned would be more subtle than a difference in the top two layers. This can help people to realize that the deeper the layers the less obvious their effect will usually be (although they can still affect alignment which is more difficult to “feel” in the short term).

The difference between a firm lower layer and a medium lower layer would be more subtle yet and as you mentioned many people may not even feel it which would make your plan a good one (if it didn’t affect your alignment which of course you could test by “borrowing” a medium layer for a while and sleeping with it on the bottom :))

Thanks again!

Phoenix

First night report:

Bed is made up like all previous mattresses. Mattress pad, flanel sheets, thin micro fleece blanket, and comforter.

Comfort seems good, mattress initial impression is bouncy and jiggly like jello. Also lacks firm edge support. Uncomfortable as teh old mattress was, we both had our own “grooves” that tended to keep us in position.

It will take some getting used to, but so far I like it. It seemed to sleep cooler than our previous mattresses, but that is based on one night only. I don’t typically use the comforter, but found myself reaching for it near wake up time which is unique.

Well we’ve got a good week on this new mattress. We both agree that it sleeps much cooler than the previous Sealy POS. She’s actually looking to add another blanket to make up for it.

We both have had arms starting to fall asleep, but it is not the bottom arm when side sleeping, it’s the top arm. I’m not a sleep expert, but my take on this is a better night deeper sleep, more relaxing, lower heart rate/blood pressure. This may well be related to the cool feeling as well.

I find that I do seem to wake when I switch from back to side sleep etc, but I do not have any pressure point pain and when wake up time comes I’m up without back pain. Within the first 1/2 hour of being up I do experience some back pain, but I consider this typical and not bed related. I had what felt like a bruised rib that lingered and that is now gone after the week on the new bed.

As for the “dominat layer” concept, I think it’s working find and any changes that we make will be in the 3rd layer. I have a notion that my side is a bit firm for my needs and hers a bit soft, but we’ll let it ride for a bit. She’s getting used to the feel and says it feels less “jello-like” that it did initially. We are thinking it’s the lack of her “fox hole” as she called it that made her feel floaty initially. The old mattress had pretty distinct “grooves” that we slept in and was very firm to either side.

Hi TD-Max

I actually read your thread earlier today and found it very helpful!

So if may ask did you end up going with the sleep ez regular mattress cover or did you request the non quilted one that they have?

I saw you wrote that you are enjoying you mattress but I’m looking for the WOW factor… the Latex Bliss gave me the WOW factor it was just really amazing… my mattress is horrible (it was the mattress thrown in with the bedroom set my wife bought when we got married) So how would you describe the sleep ez 1-10 (1 bad 10 great) in all the different ways it could be described? do the layers move around…

I bombarding you with questions so allow me to thank you in advance for you help

Also did you say you were able to buy the 12" Latex Blll in a Queen for $1500? how is that possible? and why didnt you do it with their warantee and all?

Looking forward to you many answers…

Thank you.

Aron

I think I replied to this in a different thread.

I went with the std cotton/wool quilted cover. It is very nice.

It’s hard to get a WOW out of me. There was a Stearns Marilyn that I laid on (actually IN) and it wowed me, but I know darn well that it would not support me properly nor will it last. The only reason I was shopping Stearns was for a warranty replacement which we’ll use as a guest bed.

The layers do not move. I went with the full width top layer just in case, but the movement is minimal.

With the medium layer on top we do not get “into” the mattress very deeply, but have excellent pressure relief and fantastic support.

The Bliss at $1500 was super tempting especially considering that I laid out nearly half again as much on a SleepEZ, BUT I really wanted to have a configurable setup so if my needs change or if a layer gets compressed I can easily swap it out and go again.

[quote=“TD-Max” post=11778]We’ve seen some major issues with some of the vendors here so I’d like to document my experience with the one that I chose and hopefully things go well.

On Friday 1-11-13 I submitted my order online for a SleepEZ 13000 in Queen size with foundation and 2 queen pillows. I had talked with Shawn numerous times prior to placing my order. About an hour after placing my order I received a follow up phone call to verify my order and my request for Radium brand latex. I also received email verification and invoice that same evening.

On 1-14-13 I received email confirmation with tracking numbers showing that my mattress set should arrive on Friday 1-18-13.

The configuration used when ordering should allow me a good bit of adjustment:

Medium not split
soft-soft split
med-firm split
firm-ex firm split

The basis for my configuration choice is the fact that we both liked the Pure Latex Bliss Nutrition which has a medium ILD upper and softer middle. I could have purchased the PLB locally for several hundred dollars less, but the price seemed too low to be right and I also wanted to have the ability to not only tune my own mattress, but also to be able to refurbish if I felt it getting soft in any way. My 3-5 year cycle should now be broken.

As a businessman and owner of an online store i have to say that Sleepez has been excellent so far. I’m going to try to make a New Years resolution and let a bit of Shawn’s patience rub off on me. I need to be nicer to my customers and hopefully with a decent mattress I’ll mellow out a bit.

FYI I was caught in a loop with the S brand junk. Stearns and Foster Swanwick in 2004 warranted to Sealy Beachside in 2009 and the Beachside is sagged out in 3 years and battling for warranty replacement yet again.
[/quote]

Hello,

I am also looking at Sleep Ez and Foam Sweet Foam. What is the Radium Brand Latex? Thanks

There are 2 main mfrs of the talalay latex as I understand. Latex Int’l and Radium. SleepEz uses both suppliers and while I favor US made products (latex Intl) the latest material from Radium (Netherlands) is reportedly a bit better on the QC.

TD-Max,

Is each layer shipped separately with a split core and comes with a zippered cover so you kind of build the bed yourself? I know mattresses.net does that, but didn’t know SleepEZ did the same thing.

With SleepEz you get the “bag” and then stack in the layers that you select. The layers are available in full sheets or split sheets depending on preference.

Check out their web site it has a lot of detail and you can add to cart then play with configurations and not have to check out until ready to order.

Thanks. When they say “talalay Blended” do you know what the blend is in percentages? How does this compare to the 100% natural talalay at mattresses.net?

Hi bwomp,

Blended Talalay from Latex International is usually a 70% / 30% blend of SBR / NR (synthetic rubber / natural rubber) and from Radium the blend is 60% / 40%.

100% natural means that all the rubber used in the layer is all NR rubber and it doesn’t use SBR (although in some cases if the natural content is 85% or more it’s labeled as natural). Of course the manufacturing of latex layers doesn’t only use rubber so the actual rubber content will usually be in the range of 90% to 95% of the layer itself and the rest is the other 'ingredients" in the recipe.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Are there any noticeable differences between the two in terms of odor or feel?

Hi bwomp,

In an apples to apples comparison (similar type, thickness, and ILD) then most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference no.

Phoenix

So after a couple of weeks on the new bed I think I’m going to lighten the core a bit on my side. I am very close to perfection, I just think I can make it better. There is quite a distinct change when I roll onto her side. Her side is a bit too soft for me, but I think moving mine down just a bit should suffice. I may be able to just flip the ex firm layer as it has a hard and soft sides or may need to shift up the firm layer.

Hi TD-Max,

Your custom adjustments are an interesting exercise in “fine tuning” and I’m interested in what you finally end up with.

I normally suggest that people “shoot for” 90% - 95% with the assumption that “absolute perfection” is never possible for anything but it seems that with the more subtle adjustments you are making that you may even reach 99% :slight_smile:

Phoenix