SleepEZ 13000 review

Hi bwomp,

In an apples to apples comparison (similar type, thickness, and ILD) then most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference no.

Phoenix

So after a couple of weeks on the new bed I think I’m going to lighten the core a bit on my side. I am very close to perfection, I just think I can make it better. There is quite a distinct change when I roll onto her side. Her side is a bit too soft for me, but I think moving mine down just a bit should suffice. I may be able to just flip the ex firm layer as it has a hard and soft sides or may need to shift up the firm layer.

Hi TD-Max,

Your custom adjustments are an interesting exercise in “fine tuning” and I’m interested in what you finally end up with.

I normally suggest that people “shoot for” 90% - 95% with the assumption that “absolute perfection” is never possible for anything but it seems that with the more subtle adjustments you are making that you may even reach 99% :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Ever see Talalay that had 2 different surface textures and seemingly different ILD’s on one side versus the other?

I’m new to latex, but to me it sounds like what Dunlop has been described as.

TD-Max and All

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PLB Nature full size found a really good deal for the 2013 model. hoping to get it in the next 10 days…

I just could not go with something that I did not try and was not up to having to tweak the layers by trial and error.

Will post how it is when I get it…

ADMIN NOTE: Switched to a new thread and was originally a reply to this post.

Hi aron82e, (in response to this post which was switched to a new thread)

It sounds to me like you did your research, did some good testing, decided what was most important to you based on your personal value equation, and made a great choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

@TD-Max,

[quote]Ever see Talalay that had 2 different surface textures and seemingly different ILD’s on one side versus the other?

I’m new to latex, but to me it sounds like what Dunlop has been described as. [/quote]

Do you have a link?

This sounds like it’s been fabricated. There are lots of fabricating options including zoning, various surface modifications, cutouts, and various other types of fabrications that can be custom manufactured.

Telescoping pincores can also change the ILD or compression modulus of the latex from top to bottom.

Of course it could also be something I’m not aware of :slight_smile:

Phoenix

This was the Ex firm layer from Sleepez. Here is the explanation that I was given:

“When latex is being “baked” in the mold, sometimes the sediments rise to the top, or settle at the bottom. When this happens, you can get a slightly different feel on each side of the layer. As well as a different color sometimes. Not all layers are like this. It seems to happen with the firmer layers.”

I have no issues with this particular layer, I just aspire to understand as much as I can about the process. To me, the draw of talalay is that it is uniform top to bottom. To me it just feels cooked more on the one surface. I plan to pull the bed open at next bedding change to try a simple layer swap down deep and I’ll see if it shows in a picture.

Hi TD-Max,

OK … I understand.

Latex will have a “skin” on the surface of a core which is a little different texture than the interior surface of a cut layer.

Some degree of settling will also occur in latex even with Talalay and if the latex content is higher (such as it would be with higher densities) there will be some settling with both types although it would be more with Dunlop than with Talalay because the Talalay has less time for the particles to settle because of the flash freezing process.

Phoenix

I can only go by memory, but to me the skin side seemed to be more firm/taught than the opposite side. I put the skin side up. So now I debate whether I should simply flip this layer over or if I should swap with the firm so that there is a definite change.

Hi TD-Max,

Most people probably wouldn’t notice the effect of flipping the layer but with the subtlety of the fine tuning you are doing you very well may and it would be worth a try to see if you notice a difference.

I think one of the advantages of layering like you have for those that are so inclined or interested in more subtle changes … is that you can “experiment” more with the layering and see which changes make difference for you.

Phoenix

Well it was sheet change day so I did a layer swap while the bed was torn down. I swapped layer 3 ex firm with layer 4 firm on my side and zipped it back up. I think I’m going to like the difference.

Note: As soon as I finished I tried laying on it (in jeans) and it felt unchanged. Tried her side and couldn’t really feel mich change side to side. This was bare mattress like you’d demo in the store. At bed time I slipped in (now without jeans and with cotton mattress pad and it felt excellent.

So I guess I’m saying if you want to demo a mattress in a store try wearing sweats or light PJ’s that come close to what you sleep in.

After a couple of weeks on the reconfigured layer setup I’m having troubles with low back pain in the morning. Now the question is whether it’s the bed’s fault or if I just need to see the chiropractor? I’m thinking that I have the bed too soft. First thought is to go back to the original config which is what I will probably do, but I am also thinking about pushing the soft layer deeper so I’d be med-Firm-Soft-ex firm. I don’t really have an extra layer of medium to trade around or I’d pull the soft amd do med-med-firm-ex firm.

Hi TD-Max,

If I’m not mistaken your original layering was M/S/XF/F ?

And then you changed to M/S/F/XF?

Both of your suggested changes will create firmer support but like you I’d probably be tempted to go back to the original layering first unless you are in an “experimental” mode and curious about a layering you haven’t tried yet.

Maybe you could do some sweet talking and see if you could “trade” for the medium on the other side for a few days :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Yes you are correct with my layering changes.

At this point I am SO glad that I went to a configurable setup. Just zip open, endure the onslaught of static electricity, swap layers and close it back up.

I did a swap today to M/F/S/EF to see how that works. I’ll try it and see how it works. I think I’ll end up bowrrowing her M and trading her my S if I need to change further. I have a notion that the soft layer may be of benefit even when stashed down deep so I may have to give her my F for her M .There has been definite softening that can be felt when moving from my normal “groove” to center. Not sure that this is quite so noticeable at first, but in the morning it’s definietly detectable.

P.S. Don’t do this layer swapping while wearing a wired phone earpiece. This is where the static travels and after 3 incidents I hope I have finally learned…

Hi TD-Max,

As always I’ll be interested in hearing your feedback about the effect of the changes you are making.

I would agree with this based on your sensitivity and ability to discern the more subtle effects of different layering. A good analogy is many innersprings which have two spring rates with a softer response and firmer response and affect the feel of a mattress regardless of what type or firmness of foam is above them.

Thanks for the warning :slight_smile:

Phoenix

A static shock inside the ear canal is quite annoying :wink:

I need some more time as the time change plus a bit of gas resulted in a poor nights sleep Saturday night. Last night I slept pretty well, but getting used to the time change plus waiking a bit earleir to clear snow has me a bit “off”

I feel the nag that it’s a little firm and not leting my hips in deep enough to get lower back support, but not bad. I woke a bit sore, but this felt more muscular sore middle back and neck like it’s more of an adjustment period type of sore from change in posture. I think I’m on the right track here.

Again the other concern is seasonal. winter sees less activity, increased weight, and increased tension from cold temps outside and this tends to catch up with me come spring.

Well I’m going back to near original configuration and we’ll see how that works.

This is a tough time of year for most people (myself especialy) as the seasons change and I always tend to start to have grief. I tried a firm config last night:

M-S-XF-F original very good, but tried for better

M-M-S-XF OK but I thought that the S layer was maybe “letting me down”

M-M-F-XF and I know this was the wrong direction as it flat out tore me up.

M-S-F-XF is latest just switched to

I tell you I am SO glad that I went configurable. The setup that tore me up actually felt decent at first and I may have opted for something similar had I been shopping for a store brand mattress.

First post to this site. Hope I’m doing it correctly. Question for TD-Max: are your layers all Dunlop, or did you mix in blended talalay? Thx

Hi khackett7,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!.

I’m not sure if TD-Max will see your post since the last post in this topic is over 3 years old and TD-Max hasn’t been to the forum in about two years.

Having said that … I’m pretty sure that all 4 of his layers were blended Talalay latex.

I would also keep in mind that that the type or blend of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice and his preferences may be different from yours. There is also more about some of the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop latex in post #7 here but the best way to know which type and blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own testing or your own personal experience.

Phoenix

Follow up at the 6 year point

So my cycle is changed but not broken. Along the way I upgraded to a 25 ILD soft layer on top with a medium and then firm followed by x firm. When new it is perfect, but as it breaks in I end up in pain. I get about 2 years and I have to replace layers. Typically the top soft layer, but also the middle medium layer We rotate and swap layers to extend their usefulness, but it is so hard to know which layers I need to change so I am now looking to move on to an air support system so I can dial up the lumbar to match my needs. So long as I get a reliable base I can still do my layer adjustment but have the ability to fine tune my sag.

Back sleeper whenever I can. If I try to side sleep I sweat where skin contacts skin (tween legs etc) so I end up on my back.

Could not post in general forum, but this kind of needs a new topic.