SleepEZ 13000 review

A great review and very thorough step by step instructions. This should be a must read sticky for anyone interested in the SleepEZ. Thanks!

Thanks for the review.

Congratulations on the new mattress. I got my SleepEZ 13000 (with the same layering as you) last week and have been enjoying sleeping on it much more than my old mattress. I also thought it off to pack the cover in the box with the top layer instead of putting it with the xf layer since most people will use that as the lowest layer. It just seems to me that putting the 1st two things youā€™ll use in the same box would be more practical.

I picked it over the 10" for the same reasons as you: more layers = more options and the aesthetics. I didnā€™t get the shredded latex pillows but got the non-shredded ones that turned out to be too soft/plush for me but my mom likes a softer pillow so I gave them to her and she loves them.

I went with a more basic protector from Luna since for now at least since I wanted to get a feel for the bed before decidining on whether to go for the St Dormier but still wanted to put some protector on it.

nik

Awesome review! I am just about to hit the button on a sleepez, but havenā€™t been able to decide between single layer queen or splitā€“hubby is afraid the split will sag in the middle where they layers come together? Is this too ā€˜traditional mattressā€™ thinking or does it happen w/ latex?

Hi spjz94,

SleepEz uses a wool quilted cover that is designed to work well to even out the feeling of the split layers so most people wonā€™t feel the split itself (outside of the different firmness levels on each side of the mattress). You can read a little more about split layers here but with latex, undue sagging isnā€™t an issue and for most couples that had different needs and preferences the pros of a split layer and the ability to fine tune each side would outweigh the cons.

Phoenix

For what it is worth (I know everyoneā€™s sensitivity differs), I have the quilted wool cover on my split layer Sleep EZ 13000 and cannot feel the split even when I am actively trying to feel it.

Hello,

First post for me. Thanks very much for the great info on this forum which has us leaning to purchase the SleepEZ 13000 as our next mattress. Do you know which St. Dormeir mattress protector fits the 13000? There are two King models - one with a 16" skirt and one with a 24" skirt. Thanks again.

Tony

The 16 inch St Dormeir fits the Sleep EZ 13000. That is what I ended up purchasing for mine. It is very nice and the standard size fits fine!

My husband and I are still very happy with the SleepEZ 13000.

Thanks.

My wife and I have been searching for a latex mattress for a while. This forum has been very helpful during the process. We are about to order our 13000 from Sleep EZ. And are really looking forward to a good nights sleep!

Hi doohickzzz,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think very highly of SleepEz and I think you are making a great choice.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once youā€™ve received it.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Mightyh for your thorough review on the Natural Latex Mattress 13,000 Queen by Sleep EZ! I know that took a lot of time to type up and I am appreciative. I have a ton of anxiety about buying a mattress online. I spent way too much money on a mattress in the past (Simmons Comfortpedic Capri) and absolutely hate it. I despise my old mattress so much that I have been sleeping on my air mattress for a couple months! Love the fact you can change the different layers for comfort. I am pretty sure I am going to do the same as you get the 1300- Talalay Blended with the split s-m-f-xf. I know you gave an update a couple months ago but I know time has gone by since then and some mattresses tend to get softer over time. Are you guys still pleased with your purchase (comfort, temperatureā€¦ etc)?

Phoenix you rock with your knowledge, you are seriously a Godsend. :slight_smile: God bless you!

I am still very happy with our purchase. My husband and I love the bed! We have both kept the standard layering intact. I do not notice any impressions forming in the latex. The mattress may have softened slightly, but I do not really notice it. We are of light-average weights and I think we could have easily been just as happy with the 10,000, so if budget is a concern, that is one way to trim the cost. Temperature-wise, it seems pretty good. I still have some nights I sleep hot, but I donā€™t think that is a result of the latex at all. To sum up: I would still highly recommend this bed and SleepEZ!

Thanks for the update Mightyh! Iā€™m hoping to pull the trigger on a 10000 tomorrow. Planning on letting Sleepez guide us for a starting point.

Figured Iā€™d update here quickly while I was in the posting mood.

We did buy the Sleep EZ 10000 about 18 months ago. Oh how we wanted to love that bed. And it was ā€œokā€ for a while. We got the fully split queen in soft->medium->firm. We changed up the layers every way possible and could never get rid of the back pain. In addition, the layers kept coming apart in the center line between us and we would fall into the noticeable gap. Because of this, after a year Sleep EZ sent us a solid ā€œsoftā€ top to replace the spilt pieces. Customer service there has been top notch. Our main problem is that now the latex foam is sagging under our hips, and is noticeably softer. Even on the replacement soft layer. Our Tempur-pedic foundation that we used with it is also showing the same sagging. Not sure if there is a cause-effect there. We arenā€™t huge people (5ā€™7"/160lbs, 5ā€™4"/135lbs) but we do tend to sleep ā€œtogetherā€ like one 300lb person. We are side sleepers. I tried some quick zoning with cardboard between various layers but it really didnā€™t help much.

We are looking at Novosbed options now and going back to memory foam we think.

Hope this helps someone. I wouldnā€™t say in any way that Sleep EZ beds are poor quality or that their service was bad. It just didnā€™t work out for us.

Hi BigWind,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and Iā€™m sorry to hear that your mattress didnā€™t work out for you as well as you hoped for. Based on your other post at least your daughter will have the chance to sleep on a latex mattress although it seems that she is somewhat ā€œattachedā€ to memory foam.

This is a very unusual issue with split layering and it can sometimes be a result of how the mattress was assembled (although in reading your previous posts I donā€™t think that this was an issue with you) but for those rare instances where it is an issue with the split layering then either gluing the two top layers together (if they are a different firmness on each side) or replacing them with a solid layer would resolve the problem.

If the foundation under your mattress is sagging then it would certainly affect the mattress on top of it and with a latex mattress ā€¦ because of the durability of latex ā€¦ that would normally be the first place I would look to resolve any sagging issues (see post #4 here).

If you were to put your mattress on the floor and it made a difference over the course of a few nights (a single nightā€™s sleep can be an anomaly and may not be enough to identify a ā€œpatternā€ in your sleeping experience) then it would be safe to assume that the foundation needed to be replaced or repaired.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix! My daughter very much wants the old TP bed back, but she might just be stubborn (no idea where she would get that quality). For my sake the last two nights Iā€™ve slept on it have been ā€œbetterā€, but it is definitely worn out.

The split in the latex mattress still happens in the 2nd and 3rd layers under the solid top, though not nearly as bad.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll get around to sleeping with the latex on the floor but I might. My wife is pretty convinced she just wants to give up. Regardless of sagging because of foundation, the foam has gotten much softer under our hips and just isnā€™t supporting us well.

Iā€™m going to start a new thread for a few questions about Novosbed advice.

Thanks again for all you do!

Hi BigWind,

This is a very interesting comment. I have talked with many manufacturers (including SleepEZ) that have used split layers in the deeper layers of their mattresses with a solid layer on top and all of them have told me that they havenā€™t experienced the type of issues that you are describing here. Even issues with split top layers are very uncommon with a tight fitting quilted cover although they do come up from time to time in some circumstances or sleeping styles. In most cases though this is something that is connected to differences in firmness on each side of the mattress that can create a sensation of sleeping on a ā€œgapā€ rather than the split layers actually shifting and creating a gap between the split but Iā€™ve never heard of this as even a potential issue with deeper layers.

Because your experience is so rare ā€¦ it leads me to suspect that something else may be happening and that the source of the sensation you are experiencing may be something else although without seeing the mattress I donā€™t know what it could be. Itā€™s possible that it could be connected to a sagging foundation or even the firmness levels of the layers themselves.

In any case though ā€¦ regardless of the reasons why ā€¦ it certainly sounds like you arenā€™t happy with how you are sleeping on the mattress which in the end is all that really matters. I hope that your next mattress provides a better sleeping experience for you than some of the other mattresses you have tried and slept on in the past few years that also didnā€™t work out well for you.

Phoenix

Yeah. I donā€™t kid myself that I can feel the split in the 2nd and 3rd layers. Iā€™m sure we canā€™t, but my wife swears she can. I think it is just the change in firmness. It only gets to be about 0.5" in lower levels. However before they replaced the top layer the split would reach about 2" apart in the top layer under our hips in about a week. It was easy to feel. We got in a routine of taking it apart every time we changed the sheets. Sleep EZ sent us that new single top layer no questions asked after a year had passed. They didnā€™t even fuss at us when we forgot to send the old ones back after a few months! Our bad completely (we did send it eventually though). The cover didnā€™t seem particularly snug after a while, which could be a contributor. Or it could be our combined weight directly in the center driving the layers apart. Weā€™ve kept the layers identical on both sides after initial experiments. Either soft->med->firm or soft->firm->med on both sides. We flipped, rotated, swapped every layer in every way imaginable trying to even out the ā€œwearā€. We are going to use it to replace an old inner spring in our guest room for my mom, so it isnā€™t ā€œwastedā€. I still wish weā€™d land on the bed we could love though! Thanks as always Phoenix!

Regardless of sagging because of foundation, the foam has gotten much softer under our hips and just isnā€™t supporting us well.

I hope the softening of the foam is an isolated problem. SleepEZ claims firmness around the lumbar zone to prevent spine depression. I donā€™t know if that means itā€™s reinforced by them or a benefit of latex.

Hi PapaMike,

While all foam will soften to some degree over time ā€¦ latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and will soften less than other types of foam.

The softening sensation that BigWind was referring is most likely related to choosing a mattress that was ā€œon the edgeā€ of being too soft and would almost certainly be a comfort issue rather than an issue that was related to any unusual softening of the latex itself (see the last part of my comments here).

The firmness around the lumbar zone they are referring to is because of supportive properties of latex itself because of itā€™s inherent compression modulus (the rate that a material becomes firmer with deeper compression) and not from any specific zoning (see post #7 here)

Phoenix