SleepEZ = natural vs organic

Hello,
I am about to pull the trigger on a 10’ latex mattress from SleepEZ. They are currently having a 10% off sale on their organic line and 5% on natural. I was planning all along to buy a natural mattress (due to lower cost) but now that the difference is smaller, I am trying to figure out if it’s worth it to upgrade to organic. The difference is around $250. Could anyone help me analyze if it’s worth the difference?

Many thanks in advance.
Katherine

I was also wondering this.

I’m ordering mine this week also. I’ve noticed these differences on the sell sheet.

Natural Latex
Choice 100% Natural Dunlop, or Talalay Blended Latex
100% Natural Cotton Knit Cover
Quilted to 100% Natural Wool

Organic Latex
Choice 100% Natural Dunlop, or 100% Natural Talalay Latex
100% Organic Cotton Knit Cover
Quilted to 100% Organic Wool

It’s probably the combination of organic latex, organic cotton knit cover combined with the organic wool. The organic cotton knit cover is listed at $395.00 (Queen) when purchased as a replacement cover.

Hi katherine1,

As PapaMike mentioned … the SleepEZ natural line gives you the choice between blended Talalay or 100% natural Dunlop and their organic line gives you the choice between 100% natural Talalay and 100% natural Dunlop and their covers are also different. They can provide organic Dunlop on request but there may be an extra cost.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here that may help you choose between them but the biggest reason to choose the organic would be if you preferred the 100% natural Talalay vs the blended Talalay and the differences in the cover probably wouldn’t be enough by itself to choose one over the other.

Phoenix

Thanks everyone and Phoenix especially. Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference in how organic and blended Talalay foam feels? I am mainly focusing on organic because I am trying to find the closest approximation of a mattress I tried at Savvy Rest.

Hi kathering1,

Savvy Rest offers two types of latex. The first is 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic which is basically the same material as the 100% natural Dunlop that SleepEZ offers without the organic certification. There is no organic Talalay so any of the layers that you tried at Savvy Rest that were certified organic would have been 100% natural Dunlop.

The second is 100% natural Talalay which would be the same material as SleepEZ offers.

If you know the type of latex in the mattress you tried at Savvy Rest then it would just be a matter of using the same type of latex and firmness level in a SleepEZ mattress.

There is more about the difference between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

If you know the layers that were in the mattress you tried at Savvy Rest then if you call and talk with SleepEZ they will tell you which of the options they have available are closest to the Savvy Rest layering that you were considering. If the Savvy Rest combination you were considering isn’t the normal suggestion they would make for your weight and sleeping positions then they may also suggest a layering combination that in their experience may be a better match for you as well.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. The SleepEZ folks told there is no difference in feel so I ordered a blended Talalay/natural Dunlop mattress. Very excited! Thanks for your help!

Hi katherine,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I was looking at the same SleepEZ and the same sale.

Does anyone feel there might be an advantage for the 4-layer 13" vs. the 3-layer 10"? Part of me (the more is better part) thinks an extra layer might be useful somehow but the rest of me feels that the top 3" comfort layer is the key and adding a third 3" support layer below two other 3" support layers really should not make any real difference.

Also, we live in NW Ohio in Tiffin and it seems sourcing from a reputable internet supplier like SleepEZ is a better value proposition for us than any semi-local supplier we have found in the Toledo/Findlay area. I know there might be some options East of here over in Amish country or around Cleveland, but if someone like SleepEZ has a good product at a good price it makes it tough to justify a shopping expedition.

Eric

I was considering the 4 layer 13" mattress for the same reason (more is better) but after talking with the store manager I ordered the 3 layer split configuration 10" organic mattress.

Call them. They are extremely helpful and sincerely interested in your satisfaction and comfort. They won’t keep you from buying a 13" mattress, but they will explain why you don’t need one. :cheer:

I used my savings to buy the Organic Latex 10" mattress. It ships tomorrow and we are excited!

I live in the Columbus, OH market and didn’t feel comfortable with any of the sources. OMF is close, but they do not offer a 100% latex mattress nor do they offer layer exchange or returns.

Hi kisseer,

Unless you are in an unusually high weight range you certainly won’t “need” a latex mattress that was thicker than about 8" to 9" although some people may still prefer it. There is more about the pros and cons of a thicker latex mattress in post #14 here and more about the pros and cons of having more layers in post #2 here.

You’ve probably seen these already but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of within about 100 miles of Toledo (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here and the forum list for Cleveland is in post #2 here.

As you know SleepEZ is a great quality/value choice and with an online component latex mattress the odds are very high that one of the basic layering combinations that would be possible with the initial layers they suggest would be a good “match” for most people in terms of PPP. In addition to this with their return/exchange policy there would still be good options available if one of the combinations of the original layers didn’t work out as well as you hoped for. A component latex mattress can certainly be a low risk choice that can make a lot of sense for those where there are no local options that would be in the same value range based on all the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

Phoenix

We pulled the trigger today on a Select Sleep 10" Latex mattress and a foundation from SleepEZ. I called them to ask a few questions and then used the online tool to create a His/Hers, which only differed in the top layer. Hers is soft and His is medium.

I found the telephone conversation beneficial. As expected, he was helpful and knowledgeable with confidence that came from experience. Some of the questions I asked were:

1. Do people notice a seam or transition with the split His/Her configuration?
    He said they sell the split configuration much of the time and there was not a history of complaints.

2. What if my wife finds that she has a Latex allergy?
    He said these were rare with mattress latex but not completely unheard. If there was an issue it should appear within the trial period and a $99 return charge would be all it takes to send it back. He suggested that we keep the shipping boxes until we are sure.

3. Would the 4-layer 13" mattress offer any real advantage for us over the 3-layer 10" mattress?
    He did not feel it would for our weights (150-220 lbs). This made a good impression that there was not pressure to up-sell to the more expensive model.

We expect the purchase to make it to Ohio in about a week. We will report back once we have an opinion, but we are anticipating satisfaction.

Eric

Hi kisseer,

Thanks for the comments and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

You can see some comments about this in post #2 here as well but as Shawn mentioned it’s not something that most people have any issues with and it can certainly be very helpful for a couple that have different needs or preferences.

Latex foam is very different from the dipped latex that is a more common cause of allergies (such as gloves, balloons, condoms etc) and with foamed latex most of the allergens have been washed away as part of the manufacturing process. Almost all latex allergies or sensitivities are also contact allergies and there is no contact with the latex in a mattress (unless you are assembling it). There are also type I latex allergies that are much more rare but those people that have this type of allergy generally know about it and carry an epipen. There is more in post #2 here about latex allergies and sensitivities.

There is also more about thicker latex mattresses with more layers in post #14 here but neither of you are in a weight range where you would “need” more than 9" of latex.

Most importantly though … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix