SleepEz Naturale'/Sleep Select 7000 vs MyGreenMattress Pure Echo

Hi

I am looking to buy a FULL size mattress ( as natural as I can go staying under my budget) for my 11 year old daughter. I started my research few weeks back and came across this wonderful website!!!

I have gone through all the basics/tutorials at least 2 times as well as the posts from different users and have learned a lot from everyone.

Would appreciate all help I can get from Phoenix and everyone else.

I understand that Phoenix doesn’t recommend one company/mattress over another but would help in coming to a decision. But I am at a point where I am confused between these three as they all are good in their own way and can’t see any weak links. So would appreciate a push or advice towards one of it.

With all my research and understanding the basics of mattress, I have narrowed my choices to these three mattress

1. Pure Echo Organic Cotton Natural Mattress : Two sided for $857.52 after the Labor day coupon. Not sure if they will give additional TMU 5% discount.

2. SleepEz Naturale Full : $850; will be getting additional 5%
It is two sided mattress by default.

3.Sleep Ez Natural Select Sleep Latex Mattress 7000 : $1040.25
This comes with pair of free pillows AND a free sheet set

My conclusions:

I was leaning towards Pure echo as it was within my range and we liked it when we visited the showroom. My husband found it a little hard and I explained him “Phoenix’s” logic that kids need a little firmer than the adults. My daughter had no input as she felt the same in every mattress she tried there!!! So no help there.
Another reason I liked Pure Echo was because it was ALL NATURAL.

Then I started reading more and came across SleepEz products and realized Latex is affordable for me as well. I talked to the owner( Shawn, I think) couple of weeks regarding Select Sleep 7000 and liked the product all over. It was over 1000 dollars but I justified it by convincing myself that I am getting 2 pillows and a sheet set.

For the past few weeks, I kept thinking about Pure Echo and Select Sleep and since both are good products, couldn’t decide at all other than Pure Echo is $180 cheaper. And yesterday night, to add to my confusion, I came across Naturale’. I called again today and talked to Shawn again. He took his time and explained me the differences between the two. The Select Sleep is more admirable to customers because of the fact that you can choose your firmness for both layers. But since the configuration I have decided is FIRM/MEDIUM, its pretty much same that is by default for Naturale.

So I guess following are my concerns that I would need help with.

• First I need to decide since Pure echo and Naturale are the same price now, should I go for Latex over Innerspring?
  • If I go the route for Latex, is having the option to choose the 2 layers plus 2 pillows/sheets worth extra $190.00 ?

I hope I was able to explain clearly. If not, please let me know if I left anything important.
Please if someone can help me with their expertise I would be thankful. The Pure echo discount is ending tomorrow so would ask extra favor to reply soon.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Alimb,

You are certainly looking at some great options for your daughter and all of them would be in a suitable firmness range and none of them have any lower quality materials or weak links in their design so it will really come down to your own personal preferences and budget rather than a “better/worse” choice.

While I don’t have any personal experience with any of them so I can’t tell you what any of them would feel like for me much less for someone else … the Pure Echo would probably have a little more familiar “feel” for those that are used to sleeping on an innerspring and may have a little better edge support as well while both the SleepEZ Naturale and the Select Sleep 7000 would have more of the “feel” of an all latex mattress which some people would strongly prefer over an innerspring/natural fiber mattress. The Pure Echo would also be a little more breathable because of the innerspring but with the wool quilting on top of all of them it’s very unlikely that any of them would have any temperature regulation issues.

All of the mattresses you are considering use all natural materials so there is little to choose between them in terms of using natural materials. The Pure Echo uses natural wool and organic cotton and the Naturale uses 100% natural Dunlop along with natural wool and organic cotton and the Select Sleep 7000 uses 100% natural Dunlop and natural cotton and natural wool (although you would also have the choice of blended Talalay layers as well if you would prefer the feel of Talalay vs Dunlop).

The Pure Echo has a single firmness choice but since both sides would be the same firmness you can flip the mattress over so she can sleep on either side which would extend it’s useful life as long as you flip the mattress on a regular basis (see post #3 here). The Naturale has a firmer and a softer (medium) side so your daughter would probably have her favorite of the two and would probably only sleep on one side but the durability of latex would also compensate for the fact that she would probably only be sleeping on one side and the mattress can’t be flipped.

The Select Sleep 7000 would also have a firmer and a softer option (by rearranging the layers with either the firmer or softer layer on top) and would also be a very durable choice and it would also have the additional option of being able to fine tune the comfort and/or support of the mattress by exchanging one of the layers for a different type of latex or a softer or firmer layer and it also provides the option of replacing just a single layer of the mattress instead of the complete mattress if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the top layer) or if her needs and preferences change down the road as she grows and reaches more adult proportions. It also has the additional pillows and sheets that go with the mattress.

All of these mattresses would also be a good base for a topper if your daughter needs some additional softness as she gets older as well.

Once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a suitable for your daughter in terms of firmness and PPP (which they most likely would be) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability (which there aren’t) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on any preferences your daughter has shown, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding but you are in a great position that you really can’t go wrong with any of your choices.

Phoenix

Never thought of this point…That is the difference between a regular person who is researching and an EXPERT like you!!! I thought both Pure Echo and Naturale is two sided…

I am gonna sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow morning as the sale ends tomorrow, at least for Pure Echo.

One quick thing.

Repeating my confusion between Pure echo and Naturale,

If price is the only factor and its same for both Innerspring and Latex, which way YOU would go?

I have the habit of playing both sides of arguments.
In favor of Pure Echo, my argument is since its 2 sided , I am increasing the longevity of my mattress and it has indeed the best of the coils ( pocket coils)
On other hand, am I not gonna get a good number of years anyway by going the Latex route (Naturale) and hence I can get the best of both world, the longevity and the latex feel ?

Surprisingly, as I am typing these points, I feel I am replying to my own questions. But still, I trust your advice/stand over my reasoning.

Hi Alamib,

They are both two sided … but the naturale has a different firmness level on each side. If your daughter didn’t have a preference for one over the other then she could sleep on both sides of the Naturale as well but I would guess that she would probably have a preference for one of the sides.

This would really be a preference choice and my own personal preferences may be different from yours someone else. I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of whether anyone else (including me) would have the same criteria or would make the same choice.

[quote]In favor of Pure Echo, my argument is since its 2 sided , I am increasing the longevity of my mattress and it has indeed the best of the coils ( pocket coils)
On other hand, am I not gonna get a good number of years anyway by going the Latex route (Naturale) and hence I can get the best of both world, the longevity and the latex feel ?[/quote]

If they were both one sided I would give the advantage to latex in terms of durability but since the Pure Echo is a two sided mattress in practical terms I would treat them both as close equivalents in terms of durability. The “feel” of each would be a preference choice and some people would prefer one and some would prefer the other.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix

Thanks for your input again. My husband and I discussed a lot for these 3 options and we decided to go with SleepEz Latex route.

While I was showing him the two options, he expressed his concern regarding the height of Select Sleep 7000. He feels it is way too thin and would be very odd as we don’t have a box spring. My 11 year old has a platform bed with 2.65" gap between the slates. Although I like the look of low profile mattress without the box spring, after we used the measurement tape, even I felt its way too low for me.

I cant go one step higher( Select Sleep 9") as the price is definitely way over my budget. So I am trying to convince him with the Naturale that has 8.5" height. Somehow he is liking the Select sleep concept of customizing layers.

I was wondering if you can give me some insight what is an appropriate mattress height without a box spring or is it just a personal preference? I just want to make sure if mattress height matters in terms of coordinating with the box spring.

Once again, thank you for the wonderful resources and recommendations.

Hi Alamib,

The thickness of a mattress is really just a side effect of the design and is only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges will sometimes do better with a mattress that is a little thicker than lower weight ranges but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences than anything else.

In other words … there isn’t a specific thickness that is inherently better or worse because it always depends on what is inside a mattress rather than on the thickness that all the individual materials and components in the mattress add up to.

Phoenix

Thanks again for your insight. After a lot of discussion, my husband and I decided not to go with SleepEZ Select Sleep 7000. Since he like the concept of 3 layers customization, Naturale is out too!! I showed him 2 different options ; Select Sleep 9" and 10" as the difference is only $50 between these 2 . Since Select Sleep 9/10 was still way over my budget, I was still hesitant and decided to take a day or two to make a decision.

Meanwhile, I kept going through all different posts on this website as much as possible and came across “Spindle Abscond”. Took a brief look on their website and called them today first thing in the morning. Talked to Kim and he seems to be very knowledgeable. He was very patience with all my questions and helped me with the configuration of the layers as well. I liked the price a lot. For 10" FULL size mattress, I will be paying $1095 ( with 5% discount) compared to $1349 at SleepEZ( of course that includes free pillows/sheet set, but I would save $300 and buy these later).

Kim suggested to go a retail store in the suburbs of Chicago ( that is hour and a half away) that carries Savvy Rest mattress and he said its very comparable to what they sell. I can go to IKEA as well as they have MORGONGĂ…VA to get a basic feel of latex, but husband is recommending to make a trip for Savvy Rest so we can try different configuration and the fell of LATEX.

Customer service wise, both spindle and SleepEZ exceeds my expectation. I like the price of Spindle but they don’t have a return policy and to swap ( basically u order a new layer and don’t even return the old one), they charge $150 which is way too much compared to $30 fees from SleepEZ. I know its a trade off and because of high fees, I would rather drive hour and a half and be sure of my configuration. Still debating between Soft (S/M/F) and Medium (M/M/F) for Spindle. I did get the ILD numbers but gave up researching as I realize that is a variable with different values for different companies and I should concentrate on the configuration rather than the ILDs.

Hopefully, by this weekend I really want to sort this thing out. I get too involved in researching and I have too much of mattress information in my mind right now…I even dream of Latex mattress feel and layer configuration while I am sleeping on my 13 year old TEMPURPEDIC ( which my husband and I still love)!!!

Will update with my experience and choice. Please let me know if there is any thing specific or something important that I should look for while I am the retail showroom.

Thanks

Hi Alamib,

You are certainly looking at some great quality/value options for your daughter and you seem to have a good understanding of the criteria that are important to you but I don’t think there is much I can add to my previous replies unless you have any specific questions that I can answer (except perhaps to suggest rereading my previous comments about making final choices).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Update on my trip to Savvy Rest dealer

We were able to make a trip to Savvy Rest dealer today lugging all 3 kids!!! And I am so happy we did it, Having no previous experience with Latex mattress, my husband and I were able to see the difference between Latex and Innerspring (Naturepedic) mattress side by side.
They had 6 configurations for Savvy Rest and we along with my daughter tried them all again and again.

We narrowed the choices to 2 configurations Soft/Medium/Firm and Soft/Firm/Firm. We decided to take few mins break and after trying again, she and I preferred the Soft/Firm/Firm.

Our observations( of course I was giving her the preference to explain)

S/M/F (according to the owner, this is the one that sells most) : She found it WAY too soft;
SPINDLE has this one named as SOFT

M/F/F : A little hard
SPINDLE has this one named as FIRM

S/F/F : The best option according to her as she liked the softness of the comfort layer with the firmness of support layers.( Of course, she didn’t explain using these terms!!!)

Now, back at home, while browsing the configuration Spindle offers, I do not see any option that gives me this layer configuration :frowning: :frowning: . I knew it wouldn’t be that easy for me to decide by today!!!

Anyway, Spindle is closed over the weekend and will have to wait until Monday to call them and discuss this.

In your opinion, if they end up refusing doing this specific configuration, which of the following will be the closest match to her liking of S/F/F?

EXTRA SOFT ; S/M/M
MEDIUM ; M/M/F

Thanks a lot and hopefully looking forward to order by Monday for sure…

Hi Alamib,

[quote]In your opinion, if they end up refusing doing this specific configuration, which of the following will be the closest match to her liking of S/F/F?

EXTRA SOFT ; S/M/M
MEDIUM ; M/M/F

Thanks a lot and hopefully looking forward to order by Monday for sure… [/quote]

I would keep in mind that there are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated differently by another manufacturer. This would be especially true if the combination of layers are different from each other because different layer combinations will have a different “feel” and different “types” of softness/firmness (see post #15 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Spindle) who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. Hopefully will discuss the options with Spindle mattress on Monday and come to a decision.

Finally after going back and forth, made the purchase today!!! Got my daughter Spindle Abscond full size(Medium configuration) for $1092 after TMU discount.

Thank you Phoenix for sharing your knowledge and thanks to every member who took time to post their expertise/feedback.

Even though I am very comfortable with online shopping, still has never made this large purchase without seeing the product first hand. So a little restless how its going to be. Hoping for the best. :slight_smile:

Hi Alamib,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix