SleepEZ Question: Organic vs. Natural

Hello!

This forum has helped me so much. So first a BIG thank you!

My husband and I are looking to purchase a new mattress. We were going to buy a Savvy Rest but, thanks to your mattress forum, are now strongly considering a SleepEZ.

Two questions: (And I apologize if these are already in a post. I looked but I realize I might have overlooked them.)

1. We want to avoid the heavy chemicals found in conventional mattresses. Savvy Rest talks a lot about how their mattresses don’t contain “toxic” chemicals. Does anyone know if the same is true for the SleepEz?

2. Along the same line, I can’t seem to figure out what the difference is between the natural and organic latex that SleepEz offers. Can anyone shed light on that?

Hi LemonPan,

[quote]1. We want to avoid the heavy chemicals found in conventional mattresses. Savvy Rest talks a lot about how their mattresses don’t contain “toxic” chemicals. Does anyone know if the same is true for the SleepEz?

1. Along the same line, I can’t seem to figure out what the difference is between the natural and organic latex that SleepEz offers. Can anyone shed light on that? [/quote]

None of the latex you are likely to encounter (whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay and made with synthetic rubber, natural rubber, or a blend of the two or whether it has an organic certification or not) contains “toxic chemicals” and all of them are certified either by Oeko-Tex Standard 100 or Eco-Institut for any harmful substances or VOC’s.

There is more about organic certifications in post #2 here and more about organic certified Dunlop latex (there is no certified organic Talalay latex) and how it compares to other types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Savvy rest offers either 100% natural Talalay or 100% natural Dunlop (certified organic) in their mattresses but the mattress itself isn’t certified organic.

SleepEz offers either 100% natural Talalay, Blended Talalay, or 100% natural Dunlop but can also provide certified organic Dunlop by special request for those who want it and don’t mind the extra cost for what is basically the same product as 100% natural Dunlop.

Both of them have covers that use certified organic cotton and Savvy Rest uses organic wool and SleepEz uses natural Eco Wool. Neither one uses any harmful chemicals in their processing.

Phoenix

Thank you so much! That’s incredibly helpful!

I guess my biggest question about “split” beds is do the two sides come apart? I don’t want a valley down the center of the bed.

Now I’m trying to research foundations. I read your post but I’m not 100% sure if I should order the foundation from SleepEz or get a higher quality foundation elsewhere?

Hi LemonPan,

No they don’t come apart and with a suitable cover you also won’t feel the split. There is more about split layering in post #2 here.

The SleepEz foundation would be fine and unless you have a specific reason to choose otherwise I would normally go with the foundation suggested by the manufacturer.

Phoenix

If paying the premium to get the organic in the first place - should one take 100% Talalay top to bottom, or is there a benefit to having the bottom layer as a dunlop?

IE - I’m deferring to my hippie wife, but if we’re dropping this much coin I want the sucker to last as looooong as possible.

Thanks a lot.

SD

Hi SD2000,

I would keep in mind that 100% natural Talalay isn’t organic and the only organic latex is 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic (see post #6 here for more about organic Dunlop latex).

Post #6 here also has more about the different types and blends of latex but the choice between them would be a preference choice not a “should or shouldn’t” or a “better worse” or a “right or wrong” choice.

There is also more about the differences in feel and performance between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for all your help! I ordered our bed today–after three years of pondering what to do. :slight_smile:

We got the Sleep EZ 10,000, split. Top layer: soft blended Talalay. Middle: Medium Dunlop. Bottom: Firm Dunlop.

I’m just excited that I found a bed that isn’t loaded with fire retardants that was in our budget.

I’ll review when we receive the bed because the reviews here helped me SO MUCH.

Hi LemonPan,

It took a while … but you ended up making a great choice!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m glad the site could help you and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thank you! I’m so excited about it!

If you don’t mind, I have another question.

I shared the SleepEZ info with a friend this morning. She replied with a comparison chart from Savvy and asked if the Sleep EZ blended foam contained the flame retardants and formaldehyde that the chart implies. Mattress Comparison Chart: Latex, Memory Foam & Blended

My top layer is blended Talalay. So I’m a little nervous that I ordered incorrectly to avoid these chemicals.

Hi LemonPan,

None of the latex you are likely to encounter contains any fire retardant chemicals and all of it (whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay or made from synthetic rubber, natural rubber, or a blend of the two) has been certified for harmful chemicals and VOC’s. The chart you linked to is somewhat misleading and in some cases completely incorrect.

Latex … synthetic, natural or otherwise … is a very different material than polyfoam or memory foam.

It would probably also be worth mentioning that most of the foams that are used in the mattress industry don’t contain fire retardant chemicals because mattresses tend to use barrier systems to pass the fire regulations. Fire retardant foams are much more common with furniture than they are with mattresses (see post #5 here and post #13 here).

I would personally have no issues with the “safety” of any type of latex or any “chemicals” in latex that would be harmful. All of them are tested for safety using the same testing protocols. Even the word “chemical” itself is often used as a scare tactic because even water is a “chemical substance”. While there are some legitimate “chemical” concerns … safety is the real issue that most people are most concerned about.

If you decide that for personal reasons that you are more comfortable with only natural latex (whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay) then SleepEz has this option available as well but in most cases any concerns with the safety of synthetic or blended latex are unfounded and are based more on “fear based” marketing than they are on any factual information.

Phoenix