sleepez vs wjsouthard vs savvy rest

Hello,

After many weeks of researching, I am about to buy my first latex mattress. Your site has been incredibly helpful!

I have been able to try out the Serenity by Savvy rest and the Cazenovian pillowtop and the Linklaen by WJSouthard. I live in Rochester, NY so I drove to Syracuse to the WJS/Sleepmaster store and I am getting their “factory direct” price which is lower than their online price. I have been quoted prices of around $3750 for organic king size, with foundation including delivery. All 3 of these include cotton cover, wool (not a synthetic) and are 100% natural Dunlop in the case of WJS and Jamestown but would be a top layer of natural Talalay over a Dunlop core for the Savvy Rest. I also spoke with someone at Jamestown mattress and was quoted a similar price for their natural 100% Dunlop king size. I plan to visit Jamestown Mattress today.

I can give you the specifics for each mattress, but that isn’t my primary question at this point.

I was doing one last search this morning to make sure I hadn’t overlooked another option and I had resigned myself (almost) to spending around $3750 when I came across the Sleepez website. I can order their Organic Eastern King 10" mattress with a similar configuration to the others (All Dunlop or Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers and a softer Talalay on the top) with foundation and delivery for approximately $1000 less.

I know that Sleepez is a member of your site and from what I have read on your site you consider ALL of these (Savvy Rest, WJS and Jamestown) to be quality manufacturers.

My question is, how can Sleepez offer what appears to me to be a VERY similar product for $1000 less? Is there “a catch”? It almost seems to good to be true. Especially given that the other 3 choices are all quite close in price. An “outlier” tends to make me suspicious.

One disadvantage to me of the Sleepez is that I can’t try it out in person or see the mattress to be sure of the quality and feel of the cover, but I am not necessarily opposed to ordering online.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Laurie

Hi LaurieF,

You can see some comments about why different manufacturers have different prices for similar mattresses in post #14 here. The SleepEZ component mattress would be most similar to the Savvy Rest Serenity except they use 100% natural Dunlop while the Savvy Rest uses organic Dunlop. The “outlier” in this case would be Savvy Rest because their mattresses are more costly than many of the members here that sell very similar component latex mattresses online (including some that have an option for organic Dunlop). The Cazenovian and the Linklaen are different mattresses and aren’t directly comparable outside of the fact that they both include 9" of latex (100% natural Dunlop in the case of the Cazenovian and Linklaen).

There is no “catch” and the latex in the SleepEZ mattresses would either be 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay or blended Talalay (depending on the options you choose) and are the same quality latex as other mattresses that use the same type and blend of latex. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

There is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) in post #2 here that can help you identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the speedy reply. I didn’t realize that Savvy Rest was “organic” and Sleepez and WJS are “natural”.

Is the primary difference between the WJS Linklaen and the Savvy Rest or Sleepez the fact that WJS uses a 6" layer of solid latex under a 3" top layer while the Savvy Rest and Sleepez are two separate 3" layers under the 3" top layers?

Would that explain why the WJS Linklaen costs significantly more than the Sleepez?

In your opinion, is there an advantage or disadvantage to a solid 6" base vs two 3" layers other than flexibility in choosing the firmness of each layer?

Now that I have opened myself up to the option of ordering a mattress online that I haven’t actually tried in person, are there other manufacturers I should consider?

Thank you again for this site and for the time and effort you put in to answering so many questions!

Hi LaurieF,

Only the Dunlop in the Savvy Rest is organic. There isn’t any certified organic Talalay latex.

[quote]Is the primary difference between the WJS Linklaen and the Savvy Rest or Sleepez the fact that WJS uses a 6" layer of solid latex under a 3" top layer while the Savvy Rest and Sleepez are two separate 3" layers under the 3" top layers?

Would that explain why the WJS Linklaen costs significantly more than the Sleepez?[/quote]

The Savvy Rest and SleepEZ are both component latex mattresses that have 3 customizable layers of latex with different firmness options (SleepEZ has 4 firmness options for each layer and Savvy Rest has 3) that can be rearranged or exchanged to provide different levels of “comfort” or “support”. Both of them have a wool quilted cover. The Linklaen has an individually wrapped 6" support core and 3" comfort layer and a wool quilted cover as well and has two firmness options for the support core. There may also be differences between the type and breed or the amount of the wool in each of the covers and the type and thickness of the cotton fabric that they each use which would also affect their raw material costs and the prices of their mattresses. All of them also have split firmness options in king and queen sizes as well and have the option to exchange a layer after a purchase. Other than these differences I have no “inside knowledge” of their raw material, manufacturing, or business costs or why each of them price their mattresses the way they do other than the variables that I mentioned in my previous link.

You can see some comments about this in post #2 here.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also make latex mattresses (including component mattresses) that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices.

All of the mattresses you are considering are certainly high quality and durable mattresses and there are no when you are down to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local experiences or online conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, the options you have after a purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix