Sleeping beauty Kristen mattress

Hello! So I went to Sleepys for the first time and I kind of like their Sleeping Beauty Kristen model.
I am a side sleeper, my husband back and side.
I was looking for firm coil + plush pillow top.
The price is a little over the budget, I was wondering if you knew of comparable more affordable offers? (Up to $1500 for a King size?) if thatā€™s not a reasonable investment or a king size we would raise the budget ā€¦ Need help! Thanks!

Hi Mika80,

I think the first place I would start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (which includes the major brands and any mattress where you arenā€™t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it). I would also avoid the major chain stores such as Sleepyā€™s (see the guidelines here).

There is also more in post #13 here about the most importat parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase.

The only way to know whether another mattress is comparable would be if you can find out the type and quality of all the materials in this mattress (see this article) and then find another mattress that used exactly the same type and quality of materials and had the same design which would be unlikely.

Outside of the quality of the materials ā€¦ the only way to find a mattress that would be similar in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would be based on your own personal testing and subjective perceptions.

I would probably ā€œresetā€ how you are looking for a mattress and follow the steps in the tutorial post because buying a mattress without knowing anything about the quality of the materials inside it is one of the most common reasons for buyers remorse much too quickly after a purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks!
So my husband said he doesnt want any of these new ā€˜innovativeā€™ materials. He wants an old fashioned spring mattress with a plush topper. I suggested a feather topper instead of the built in pillow top.
What would you suggest? We like firm mattress + softer topper, should we get a regular foam built in topper? My husband doesnt like the gels etc ā€¦
I am so confused, I read the guide but it confused me even more!

Hi Mika80,

The choice of materials and components in a mattress is a preference choice and different people will have different preferences. I donā€™t know what materials he is referring to when he talks about an ā€œold fashionedā€ spring mattress because this usually means an innerspring mattress that uses natural fibers in the comfort layers which are much less common in the mainstream market and can be in more premium price ranges as well. If he means the more common innerspring mattresses that use polyfoam in the comfort layers then I would be very cautious because the large majority of the mattresses that are sold in the mainstream market that use polyfoam in the comfort layers use some very low quality materials that will soften or break down much too quickly. Regardless of the type of materials you tend to prefer ā€¦ I would always make sure that you know the type and quality of all the layers inside any mattress you are considering so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses (see this article).

My ā€œbestā€ suggestion is to follow the steps in the tutorial post one at a time and of course if you have any specific questions along the way that I can help with then Iā€™m always happy to answer them on the forum.

Which of the steps are you ā€œstuckā€ on?

Phoenix

I read all the articles suggested. At this point I know I want an innerspring mattress. I wish that was about it.
My husband would like a pillow top, and thatā€™s where it gets tricky, he doesnt want any gel in it, not sure about foam ā€¦ What are my other options? I understand horsehair is the most natural option but also the most expensive and stiff ā€¦ I tried a few mattresses at Sleepys but the article said to stay away from themā€¦

Hi Mika80,

That would mean you are on step 3 of the tutorial post so if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks
New york, ny

Hi Mika80,

[quote]New york, ny
10016 [/quote]

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the New York City area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix