Sleeping hot - Innerspring or pocketed coil mattresses WITHOUT foam or latex?

Hi,
Our Parklane Pettygrove is very comfy, but I’m still sleeping too hot on it (was fine while I had my Chilipad, but since the pad sprung a leak, I’m back to overheating).

I’m wondering if my best bet for a breathable mattress is an innerspring or pocketed coil mattress without foam or latex - do such mattresses exist, and if yes, who makes them? I never overheat when staying at my parents’ house, and I believe it’s a in expensive coil mattress. It’s not very comfy, so I am hoping to find innerspring/pocketed coil with wool or cotton instead of foam/latex.

Also open to other suggestions for breathability -thank you in advance!

Hi iheartpandas,

I’m sorry that your Chilipad sprung a leak. Was the leak in the pad itself or in the unit?

While not a complete list, there are quite a few manufacturers who produce mattresses without foams, and there is a listing of them in post #4 here, along with some notes on these types of products. It should be enough to get you started on your search. Also, in the topper thread here there are some microcoil toppers listed as well.

Additionally, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Phoenix

The pad of the Chilipad sprang a leak. It felt mildly damp for a few weeks, but a few days ago it actually felt wet and like it wasn’t cooling at all. I haven’t dissected the pad yet, but I suspect that the tubes inside the pad get brittle/crack over time.

I ordered a BedJet and will post a review when I’ve slept on it for a few nights. My Chilipad is a little over 2 years old, so it’s out of warranty. Given the high replacement cost of the pad (279), and the fact that it made a huge wet spot (thank goodness I had a mattress protector), I felt that the BedJet was worth a shot and won’t make my bed wet.

Phoenix - thank you for the links!

Hi iheartpandas,

It would be surprising to have that tubing become brittle after only a few years, as it is designed to put up with the specific demands of bending when placed on top of the mattress. I know the Cube has a two-year warranty, but did you check into their repair service to see if the pad itself can be repaired versus purchasing a new one? I’m not sure if this is possible, so I was just curious here.

Good luck with your new BedJet!

Phoenix