sleeping hot

Hello again,
I have experience with Tempur and also with Beauty rest (Shakespeare luxury)- but am looking for a new mattress because both the latter sleep way too HOT for me.

From the different info I got on the net and this site, I am wondering if i should avoid all gels, foams - and focus my search on only coil and natural products in order to avoid sleeping hot?

Should i also avoid Latex?

Can you recommend a system and /or brand that is specifically good at not sleeping hot ?

Thank you so much!!!

Hi emiliego,

Post #2 here has more information about all the factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress that can help you assess how temperature regulating a sleeping system (the mattress, any toppers or mattress pads, your mattress protector, and your sheets and bedding) may be for you even though there is no way to specifically “quantify” it.

Gel memory foams are generally a little cooler than regular memory foam when you are first going to sleep but in general their effects don’t last over the course of the night and memory foam as a whole tends to be the least breathable of the foam materials (memory foam, polyfoam, and latex foam). There is more about the cooling benefits of gel memory foams in post #8 here and for those that want it … there is much more detailed information about the various types of gel foams on the market in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Latex tends to be the most breathable and temperature regulating of the foam types so it can be a good choice for any mattress type that uses some type of foam in the comfort layers although any mattress can sleep warm depending on the other factors that can affect sleeping temperature.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to successfully recommend a specific mattress for someone else based on “theory at a distance” but the goal of the tutorial post and the other links I’ve provided are to help you with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose which isn’t possible (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). The brand of a mattress makes no difference because all manufacturers have access to the same or very similar materials so outside of testing a mattress carefully and objectively for PPP … it’s always important to make sure you know the specifics of how a mattress is constructed and what is inside any mattress you are considering.

Phoenix