sleepless in seattle...

First of all, thanks you so much for all the great info in your posts. I pride myself on being an informed consumer, and feel oh so too much informed after slaving over your amazing site. The problem now is - where do I go to find a mattress?!

My husband and I went to several places to look at mattresses, from tempurpedic to duxiana. We fell in love with the kingsdown my side mattress, which I have since vetoed since finding this site. We went to a local mattress store which has the pure latex bliss mattresses, which we liked - we are waiting for them to get floor samples of other models before we decide. I have read about all the great customizable mattresses online, but we would really like to lay on one first before we decide.

My husband prefers a firmer mattress, which I like something a bit softer. we are going to get an adjustable base (insert recommendations here) because we like the feeling of the "zero gravity " position. We both primarily sleep on our sides or back.

We are willing to travel to try out a bed (anywhere from Portland to Vancouver,BC) to try out something awesome. I am open to any recommendations in brands, stores, purchase options etc,

Thanks so much

Hi ndsimpson,

I can see you’ve been doing your homework and you have some good options available in your “driving range”.

The Seattle list (including some of the other options in Washington State) is in post #2 here, the Portland, OR list is in post #2 here, and the Greater Vancouver, BC list is in post #2 here.

There is more information about adjustable beds in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to including some links to sources that you can use as a value reference.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the earlier message. I checked out a few of those stores you recommended. The sleep store in bellevue had the most selection of the kind of thing we are looking for, and they are getting some more beds in in a couple of weeks which we are going to check out. I particularly liked the Savvyrest mattress in the Dunlop latex, although the sales person at the Seattle Mattress company said that Dunlop can be very inconsistent in the feeling of it because of how its made, so that gives me pause. Soaring heart had a very limited selection and the salespeople were not very welcoming. The selection at Seattle Mattress was good but we wanted something with more customization on each side if possible. Do you have any suggestions beside the savvyrest?

Thanks!

PS it’s nice working with somewhat of a celebrity in the mattress world. Everyone is really impressed by you!

Hi ndsimpson,

Your experience here was very unusual because normally their customer service and their knowledge and ability and willingness to help their customers is very good.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for me to make any specific suggestions so I focus more on helping the members here eliminate the worst options and narrow down the choices and to help with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose which would be based on your own individual testing for PPP. The initial phone calls you make to the stores on the list (including asking if they have some of the options that may be important to you) and then your testing at the stores you decide to visit is a much more effective way to make your choice than any “theory at a distance” I could offer. I also don’t have the ability to keep track of all the specific mattresses that are available in all the stores that are listed in the various lists throughout the forum (which are constantly changing over time and would be impossible to keep up with) so the part of the process that involves deciding which stores to visit and which mattresses to test would be up to each person.

There is “some” truth to this but it’s also somewhat misleading and I think that the biggest reason for their comments is that they happen to sell Talalay latex mattresses. There is more information about some of the differences between the different types of latex in post post #6 here and more about the ILD range and consistency of each type in post #6 here. There is also more about some of the differences in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but it’s really a preference choice not a “better worse” choice. It’s not something that I would be concerned with and I wouldn’t get caught up in the constant comparisons in the industry about which is “better” between Dunlop and Talalay that you will find online and throughout the industry and I would use your personal testing to decide which type of latex and which specific mattress you prefer. I like the “feel” of Talalay while my oldest daughter decided she much preferred the “feel” of Dunlop and bought an all Dunlop latex mattress. There is really no right or wrong here.

Savvy Rest is a high quality mattress and it has some great options to customize the layers both before a purchase and to rearrange the layers or exchange one if you need to “fine tune” the mattress after a purchase but its also in a more premium price range than some of the other latex options you may have available either locally or online (depending on your comfort level with an online purchase and any additional risk involved). There are some similar mattresses available online and there may also be some other manufacturers or retailers on the list that offer side to side splits but I don’t know which ones off the top of my head and it may take a few phone calls to find out if others carry them as well. If you are testing mattresses at Seattle Mattress it may also be worth paying a visit to Bedrooms & More who are close by and also have a wide selection of latex mattresses and some of these may also offer a side to side split.

Deciding on which of the many combinations of options and features of a mattress is “best for you” would depend on the parts of your personal value equation were most important to you and the tradeoffs involved when you compare a mattress to your other finalists.

I’m not quite sure what to say to this except that it made me (and my fiance) laugh. I don’t think I can remember ever being called a “celebrity” before but I’m certainly glad that the site is having some impact in the industry. Thanks for putting a smile on my face :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am all too familiar with your issue - it’s ridiculous. If you have a mind to hop the ferry over to Silverdale, there is a store near the mall, http://www.itsbedtime.net/ and they have both Latex Bliss as well as 45th St. My master bedroom bed is from Soaring Heart, (I agree with your comments on the store, if it’s any consolation) and it’s fine, but I dug deeper and read everything I could, sofor my daybed I bought 45th St mattress and I like it much better. Nothing wrong with the Q that we sleep on, but I do like this twin.
I was tempted by Latex Bliss, they have a good selection.

There is also Holy Lamb organics down south of Olympia, a few to try. I just love these folks. There is a SavvyRest store in Tacoma, but I have not been there. Phoenix saved me a lot of gas, hassle, and repeat… Thanks!

Okay so I think we have made a decision! We went to the Foam Shop in Bellevue and talked to Spencer - so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable! We unknowingly stayed an hour past closing and he just continued answering our questions. Anyway we decided on the latex foam core (firm for the hubby, medium firm for moi) with the most soft latex topper (3" of that). The prices are so much better there than if we had settled on the savvy rest, plus we like it better! I especially like the one week turnaround. Yay!!! Thanks again for all your help, Famous Phoenix!

Hi ndsimpson,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It sounds like you did some good research and ended up making a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you have the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix