Sleepmaker Chiro Ultimate Dream

The below was posted on a Technogel thread a couple of months ago when we were deciding what to purchase. Feed back on our purchase is at the end of this post as the technogel thread was not really an appropriate place for feedback on our Sleepmaker purchase.

[i]Hi Phoenix,
We ended up going with a Sleepmaker Chiro Ultimate Dream since it was the second most comfortable bed we tested. Other influencing factors were:

• Really wanted to buy with Makin Mattresses due to their superior customer support and double sided mattresses, but unfortunately just did not like the feel of them.

• Ended up with a pocket coil pillow top bed because all the other memory foam mattresses we tried just were not close in comfort to the technogel or the Sleepmaker, our two close contenders.

• the Sleepmaker bed uses talalay latex and 65/40 dunlop viscoflex and a thin (lLess than 2cm) layer of lower density 25 PU as their comfort layer. I know that 80kg memory foam is ideal, but we but the only beds available with that grade of memory foam from where we live were 100% memory foam mattresses to purchase only online or tempur. I just can’t come at buying a mattress without testing it first, especially since the tempur of that grade was nowhere near top of our comfort list.

• Sleepmaker in Australia now owns Dunlop foams. So all dunlop foams used throughout the mattress we chose. We have had only good experiences with dunlop foam products in the past.

• Sleepy’s, the retailer we purchased from is the only outlet in Brisbane apart from Makin Mattresses that offers a comfort exchange. Sleepy’s is a 60 day, Makin Mattresses is an impressive 5 year comfort guarantee. (Yeah just wish we’d fallen in love with one of their beds.)

• Beds in Australia seem to bed more expensive than in the US across the board. Any reasonable quality king size mattress whether from a large company or smaller locally owned business are $3,000 - $4,000.

• My chiropractor said that the “chiro” in this range of beds is genuine not just a rubber stamp. He said that the Chiropractor’s Association of Australia was involved with the development of and 2 years of testing on these beds. He owns one and has found it comfortable and durable.

Lets hope we do too… just waiting for delivery now.
Many thanks[/i]

Hello again Pheonix,
Have now been sleeping on the Sleepmaker Chiro Ultimate Dream for about 2 months. This mattress has a very different feel to our old mattress so did take a little while for it to feel “normal”. The comfort layer has an almost slippery feel under the body, although one does not slide at all. Perhaps this is the talalay latex. It feels good… just different. That said I was sleeping 8 hours a night on it right from the start, although with occasional waking.

1. As seems to be the case with all new mattresses, it was way firmer than the mattress we tried in store. 2 months on it is still not as soft as the in-store one we tried, so very glad we chose the plush. It did soften dramatically with in the first week of use. Then we rotated it and had about another week for a first softening of the other end. I think this initial dramatic softening could have been due to the covering fabric stretching with first use.

2. Make sure you have deep enough sheets. This mattress is about 40cm (16 inches) deep. (have no idea why any mattress would need to be this thick. Climbing aboard is not for the fainthearted.) I initially bought new 40cm deep sheet set which still pulled quite tightly over the mattress . Due to the plush nature of this mattress the fitted sheet kept riding up significantly on my husbands side. (He is much heavier than me) but not on mine. On my side the mattress felt quite firm and was not softening much. I purchased some 50cm (20 inch) sheets so there is room to sink into the top layers and the bed was immediately more comfortable, softened up very noticeably within a few days and more since. Considered that cotton jersey sheets could pair well with this mattress because of the give in the sheets, but couldn’t find any in stores here and just can’t buy sheets without feeling the fabric first. Just as an aside I bought tencel sheets… the most beautiful skin feel of any sheets I have ever slept on. Would highly recommend.

3. The bed at 9 weeks is still not as soft as in-store. I know mattress in the store may have had more use, but if so, how come you don’t ever see body impressions in the in-store mattresses? Perhaps some sort of roller is used to soften them up?? If so i wish new mattresses could come pre-softened. I do acknowledge that in-store there is no mattress protector nor sheets which could affect comfort.

4. I did not notice in the store that the mattress had a convex shape to the top of it, so this is my bad. The first few weeks both my husband and I felt as though we were going to fall out of bed if we rolled to close to the edge. Very disconcerting in the middle of the night, so it would wake us. Now I know why sales staff would mention with some mattresses that you could sleep right to the edge. Either the bed has flattened a little with use or we have adapted and sleep closer to the middle now but this no longer bothers us. We bought a king size so this is a minor annoyance. For anyone purchasing a Queen or Double this would be a definite factor to consider when deciding whether this was the mattress for you. I wounder whether this is a deliberate attempt to minimize the impact of body impressions.

5.At this stage, 9 weeks in, there is only a barely perceivable body impression. You have to really look to even notice it. Despite my best efforts we don’t spend much time on the middle section of the bed, so this aspect is going much better than expected. Is it really the first couple of months you can expect body impressions to appear?

1. The mattress seems to regulate body temperature really well. The week we took delivery was a real scorcher with maximums of about 36 - 38 degrees Celsius (97 - 100 degrees Fahrenheit), but I slept quite cool. We came off latex, which is renowned to build up heat. Although the heat issue had not ever bothered me on the latex, I did really notice a difference.

2. Pillows. Our old pillow were way too high for our new bed. We were given memory foam contour pillows as a freebie with the mattress. The contour pillow just didn’t work for me. I am rather vertically challenged so it felt like the curve was too long for my short little neck. After trying every spare pillow in the house I have now got a really comfortable combination going and my neck is thanking me.

Although It still does not have the same comfort level as the one in-store,which we literally did not want to get off after lying on it for a while. All in all, we are very comfortable. I am sleeping soundly all night and waking without the aches and pains that I had become used to enduring in the mornings on our old bed. I am also waking more refreshed, so am probably moving around less overnight. It would seem that the support and comfort are both there. The lack of noticeable body impressions gives hope of lasting comfort too.

Overall I am happy with my purchase and it seems to tick all the boxes, but hope over time the comfort approaches the in-store item.

Hi dee rose,

Thanks for the update and feedback, and for starting a new topic … I appreciate it.

Most in store mattresses haven’t been used for long enough periods of time (either on a daily basis or over a long enough period of time) to develop body impressions. Mattresses in the store don’t get used as much as a mattress that a consumer sleeps on every night. The main reasons why a mattress you receive would feel different from the one in a store is either …

A. Your testing was too “subjective” and didn’t predict your sleeping experience. Almost everyone has had the experience of testing mattresses on a particular day or even early in the day and then retesting the same mattress later on in the same day or on another day and the “feel” seems to have completely changes because our reference points have changed and “subjective” memory is not very accurate.

B. The mattress you received is somehow different from the one in the store (other than receiving the wrong mattress this would be less common)

C. The mattress you receive hasn’t had the chance to break in and soften to the same degree as the store mattress

D. Any sheets and bedding (such as a mattress protector or mattress pad) have changed the feel of the mattress compared to the one in the store which would be a “bare” mattress.

Some manufacturers do pre-compress their mattresses first (such as Simmons transflection system) but there will still be some break in and adjustment period for any new mattress.

Crowning is certainly a built in design feature that can help with impressions but as you mentioned it can affect the initial “feel” of the mattress until the layers have had a chance to settle.

If the mattress is well constructed and uses food quality materials then it would normally take years to develop impressions not months. If there are some fibers in the mattress which will pack down and compress then there will be some minimal impressions earlier on. There can also be some minimal impressions in foam (either visible or virtual from foam softening) but these won’t be significant or affect the performance of the mattress if they are good quality materials).

Actually latex is the most breathable and temperature regulating of all the foam materials (memory foam, polyfoam, latex foam) but no foam will be as breathable as natural fiber materials. There are many reasons why “some” latex mattresses will sleep warmer for “some” people and it usually has to do with what is over the latex in the mattress (including the type of mattress protector, sheets, and bedding). It’s often the case that a so called “latex” mattress only uses latex in some of the layers. There is more about the factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. While any foam mattress can sleep warm compared to fiber materials … latex is well known in the industry to be the “coolest” of the foam materials.

Thanks again for all your great comments and feedback and I’m glad that overall your mattress is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix