Sleepworld Edmond, OK Caress mattress

I’ve been searching for a mattress that is good quality and available locally, so that I could lay on it before buying. I’m considering buying from a local mattress maker, Sleepworld in Edmond OK. I have seen them pop up a few times on your mattress forum and you seem to think that they are a good source. The mattress I’m interested in is the Caress memory foam. The layers are as follows:

1.00" 4lb ventilated mem foam
3.00" 5lb ventilated mem foam
2.50" transition foam
7.50" Omalon base

I overlooked getting the specs on the transition foam, but from what they told me quality is important to them and I don’t think they would use an omalon base unless they were interested in quality products.
What do you think of this bed? Is there too much memory foam in it? The price is right around $2,000.

lab9791

Hi lab9791,

[quote]I overlooked getting the specs on the transition foam, but from what they told me quality is important to them and I don’t think they would use an omalon base unless they were interested in quality products.
What do you think of this bed? Is there too much memory foam in it? The price is right around $2,000.
[/quote]

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or any exchange/return options that are available to you).

In terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial)or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel or how different mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP for someone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing all the specifics of its design and construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out all the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

“Good quality” has different meanings to different people and I would never take anything on faith alone when it comes to buying a mattress. While the top two memory foam layers are good quality/density materials … I would also want to know the quality/density of the transition layer and the Omalon base layer as well because while Omalon is generally a good quality material, it also comes in a range of densities. Without this information there really isn’t any way to make any meaningful comments about the quality/durability of the materials in the mattress and the mattress “as a whole” or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. If you can find out the type and density of the bottom two layers I’d certainly be happy to make some additional comments about the mattress.

Your own careful testing is the most reliable way to know whether the thickness of the memory foam layers in combination with the other layers in the mattress are “too much”, “too little”, or “just right”. If you are confident that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then the thickness of the memory foam layers (or any of the other layers) wouldn’t be an issue.

Phoenix

Thanks for your quick reply!
I got all the info.:

1.00" 4lb ventilated mem foam
2.50" 3.2 lb transition foam
7.50" 2.2 lb Omalon base

He said their foam supplier was Carpenter. So, What do you think? It is comfortable for me. I’d say medium firmness - I’m a side and stomach sleeper. I’m mainly concerned about durability/quality? I didn’t find omalon foam really addressed in foam support layers but I guess it should be treated like other foam? Do you think a mattress like this is appropriately priced for the quality of materials? Also, that price was for a queen ($2000). Thanks

Hi lab9791,

[quote]1.00" 4lb ventilated mem foam
2.50" 3.2 lb transition foam
7.50" 2.2 lb Omalon base

He said their foam supplier was Carpenter. So, What do you think? It is comfortable for me. I’d say medium firmness - I’m a side and stomach sleeper. I’m mainly concerned about durability/quality?[/quote]

Thanks for adding the additional specs for the mattress and it’s good to see that they are transparent about the materials they are using in the mattress.

Assuming that the transition layer is polyfoam … all the foam layers are high quality/density and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

Yes … Omalon is a version of polyfoam and the density of polyfoam is the primary factor in durability so this would be the most reliable way to compare durability based on the specs of a single layer but there are also other factors which have a lesser effect which includes the firmness of the foam, the cell structure, the chemicals or ingredients used in manufacturing, any convoluting or surface modifications, and any other layers above and below the Omalon layer (the deepest support layers of a mattress aren’t generally the weakest link in a mattress anyway). Omalon comes in a range of densities that would be comparable in terms of durability to other polyfoam layers that are a similar density but it is also a higher performance material than most conventional foams with a different cell structure and while density is still the primary factor in durability … the other durability factors in the Omalon would be superior and it is also a higher quality and performance foam outside of just durability.

While the price of a mattress is certainly one of the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase … there are many other parts to “value” as well and unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that are more or less important to different people that may be very different from someone else. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in your area or online (if you are also looking at online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person may not be worth considering for someone else.

Having said that … if you are confident that the mattress you are considering is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and that you will sleep well on it (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) then it certainly doesn’t have any lower quality materials or weak links in terms of durability and if it also compares well to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then IMO it would certainly be well worth considering.

You’ve probably seen this but just in case you haven’t (and just for reference) … some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Oklahoma City area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my earlier reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix