Slumber Ease (aka Eastside Mattress Factory)

Hi Steve,

If you click on “mattresses” then clicking on any of the pictures will bring up some partial specs on the mattresses (although they are not complete) and if you click on “high end mattresses” and then any of the pictures on top they will also have partial specs.

I haven’t discussed them (the Sealy gel mattresses) in any detail except to say that they are not really worth the effort of researching because the odds are overwhelming that the end result of the research (after the many many hours of trying to find out any information about them in the first place and because Sealy doesn’t give out meaningful information about any of their mattresses). I would not buy anything from a manufacturer that doesn’t provide meaningful information about the quality of the materials in their products and as long as people do … the clear message will be sent that marketing stories work better than factual accurate information and the marketing hype will continue. Over time as the specs become more available (and there will probably be contradictory information here as well) I will do an analysis but the business model of the major manufacturers means that all their mattresses have similar value anyway when compared to the many better choices and manufacturers that are all around the country. They are really only worth the time to investigate when more information is available and it is a very safe assumption that they (like the rest of their products) are low value and well worth avoiding. Of course if someone has more success than I have about finding out the density of the foams that they use in their mattresses … then it would make a valuable addition to the forum rather than having to put dozens of pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together to find out what the “most probably” specs are.

The different types of gels and my thoughts about them based on the research I have done are in post #26 here.

Adjustable bases are great but for a side sleeper the flat position (with perhaps a very slight elevation or the foot or the head) is the only real possibility. The zero gravity position does relieve pressure but I have my doubts about the benefit of “forcing” someone to sleep in one position when it is far more natural to change positions over the course of the night.

While the Leggett and Platt are good quality (as most of their products are) their value in adjustable bases is not normally as as good as either Ergomotion or Reverie IMO as you can see here.

I will get to an analysis of the Sealy gel beds (and probably others as well that have already been out for a while) over time but this would be more for people who don’t yet realize that the “S” brands are not worth considering at all unless the complete specs “suddenly” become available and the prices are justified by the quality of the materials that they use (which is very unlikely to happen). It is still an emerging category being driven by marketing considerations much more than quality or factual considerations.

Phoenix