So completely overwhelmed

For the past few years my boyfriend and I have searched for a mattress that would help diminish my awful back and hip pain. I am petite , slim and a trigger point magnet. As a result, I don’t sleep through the night and twirl like a pinwheel- from back to side to stomach - trying to find a comfortable position. We have a memory foam bed (awfulness), tried an innerspring bed, tried innerspring with a memory foam topper and they each were equally blechhhh. I’ve even tried sleeping on a Pilates mat.

I have been looking at latex mattresses but there aren’t many places to test drive them. I’ve tried Googling stores- just a handful here in South Florida and each one more expensive than the next - well apart from IKEA- which surprisingly uses more natural latex in their mattress than Brooklyn Bedding. When we did try the savvy rest, we thought it was OK but the smell was making us queasy.

Any suggestions? Advice? I’ve been clicking around this site for days and my mind is now jello from hyperlinks- might be from lack of sleep. I am looking for a king size and a queen size for my guest room. Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi JoD,

In many cases the specific design of a mattress is much more important than the type of materials or components it uses. For example there are thousands of innerspring mattresses or memory foam mattresses that are all very different from each other and one may work very well for you and one may be completely unsuitable. In other words … I wouldn’t rule out any type of material or component just because one of them out of thousands didn’t work well for you. Finding a mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP can be the most challenging part of mattress shopping but is also the most important.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also make sure you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the most important basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I’m not sure where you are in South Florida but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area are listed in post #2 here.

I would avoid “studying” the information and just read it like you would a good book. All you need is “enough information” to know when you are talking with an salesperson who is knowledgeable about the materials in their mattresses, has the experience to give you some good guidance, and has the ethics to put your reasonable best interests above their own. They will already know what you would otherwise need to learn.

In many cases … who you buy from can be one of the most important parts of a successful purchase and if you follow the steps in the tutorial post one by one you will have the best chance of success :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you! Please add to your roster Green Dwellers - http://www.floridaorganicmattress.com/ They are in Plantation.
OK looking over your links now. Thanks again. Oh, and Miami. :cheer:

Hi JoD,

I had already included them in the list for the West Palm Beach and Stuart, FL area in post #2 here but for some reason I hadn’t included them in the Ft Lauderdale / Miami list in post #2 here (which I’ve now corrected … thanks :))

Phoenix

FYI BiscayneBedding does not sell to the public. They are wholesalers.

Hi JoD,

This is a fairly recent change that I didn’t know about (there are a number of forum members that have purchased directly from them in the last year or so).

I called to ask them when they had made the change but the person who answered the phone was somewhat clueless and didn’t know (and didn’t offer to ask someone else).

Thanks for the heads up … and I’ve removed them from the South Florida list.

Phoenix