....so I didn't like the Mem Foam sinking feeling

I found out that to replace my Rose Blush Plush top Stearns & Foster mattress with an equivalent was over $1500. In `03 the whole bed was $800. I started looking for alternatives other my two-night’s-ok on aero-bed, I’ve been on it since last Friday, I’ll be on the sofa tonight and for game 5 too.

Found and lost interest in the gel infused memory foam beds, tried their Tempur-Pedic comparisons to the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 13" and 12" at a Relax the Back store. The UD Aria looked better to me. Lost interest after more research and looking into latex mattresses.

Phoenix your site here is invaluable!!

Now reading comments about the Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress about the hardness of that particular dunlop bed at Amazon are not what I want to go through. I can deal with breaking in a new pair of boots or 501’s (wait that was two decades ago) but not a months long bed break in. I found the Cotton Camilla at Brooklyn Bedding seems a strong contender with the ability to swap the latex layer if need be and their good customer service.

#DreamFoam Natural Latex ========== *Brooklyn Bedding Cotton Camilla

dunlop vs *Talalay ========== *Talaly = consistancy, cooler, more responsive
#Wool topping vs *Cotton ========== *Wool allows more airflow,
#? 2 lb base foam vs *1.5 ========== *apparently the UD has changed

Ok woaa ! I like the BB Bamboo Bliss specs best (wool top, 2.17 lb core) but it’s over my budget.

That’s part of what I’ve thought about all day, then moving cc balances to get better rates. After the consideration I received from the folks on the phone at both of those related companies, I might not even look elsewhere.

Geeezzz, I did get closer to making a decision today. Joined here for obvious reasons, with the www decisions that used to be quick, easy and sometime regrettable can now be arduous and better in the long run. So I’m 5’9" 165# a side sleeper mostly, have woke up on my back infrequently. Had a waterbed with s couple baffles for a few years, that seems more of a novelty now. Don’t want to mess with one of those again. Your thoughts on this molehill to mountain dilemma are really appreciated.

Hi swapgut,

[quote]Now reading comments about the Ultimate Dreams Natural Latex Mattress about the hardness of that particular dunlop bed at Amazon are not what I want to go through. I can deal with breaking in a new pair of boots or 501’s (wait that was two decades ago) but not a months long bed break in. I found the Cotton Camilla at Brooklyn Bedding seems a strong contender with the ability to swap the latex layer if need be and their good customer service.

#DreamFoam Natural Latex *Brooklyn Bedding Cotton Camilla

dunlop vs *Talalay *Talaly = consistancy, cooler, more responsive
#Wool topping vs *Cotton *Wool allows more airflow,
#? 2 lb base foam vs *1.5 *apparently the UD has changed

Ok woaa ! I like the BB Bamboo Bliss specs best (wool top, 2.17 lb core) but it’s over my budget.[/quote]

You can read some comments about the Dreamfoam Eurotop and the BB Cotton Camilla and the BB Bamboo Bliss (which all have exchangeable Talalay latex comfort layers over a polyfoam base layer) in post #16 here.

[quote]#? 2 lb base foam vs *1.5 *apparently the UD has changed

So I’m 5’9" 165# a side sleeper mostly, have woke up on my back infrequently.[/quote]

Even though it was several years ago … you can see some comments about the density change (and the Amazon comments about it) in post #2 here and the posts it links to. While it may make a bigger difference in higher weight ranges … at your weight the difference in durability would be much less significant.

You are certainly looking at some good “final choices:slight_smile:

Phoenix

I saw you link to that earlier today somewhere and your resources plus the other site (tie dye and the opposing wave in the balcony come to mind) have had me looking at components of a bed I’d never considered before. I’m going to check the first link above, and thank you for the density input.

Did my devious deficit spending and ordered the Cotton Camilla. BrooklynBedding made me one hell of a price quote for the Bamboo Bliss but I couldn’t bring myself to cross that $ line. Starting out with #5 medium-firm on the latex and I’ll let you know in a week or so how it works out.

Hi Swapgut,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s always great to see when consumers ask great questions and do some good research so they know all the pros and cons of all their options and then make a final choice that is best for them.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

With another testament to the customer service of Brooklyn Bedding, they’ve been great with me.

Friday night I think I pulled a pec (lack of) muscle moving an old dresser. Heard of it before in athletes, but d@*n it feels kinda like a broken rib, didn’t hear any cracking this time! Not being at my fighting weight if I still had my 550lb V65-Magna I would not be able to right it even if my chest didn’t hurt .
I called them Sat and softened the firmness to a 6. Later I found that I’m getting some green birthday cheer. I talked to Mario today he set me up with the quote I had Friday on the Bamboo Bliss. He was kind while we worked out a snafu with the cc company for the extra charge.
Two changes in the order, then c card issues and I’ve encountered customer reps that would have been abusive before all this went on.

Not at this Brooklyn Bedding company. They’re top notch.

Off the aero-bed, onto the den sofa and looking towards seven to ten days out!

Hi swapgut,

Thanks for sharing another update … and congratulations on your new mattress … “version 2” :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Fascinating set up.

This mattress has no real odor at all, I can smell it’s clean and new with my sensitive shnoz a quarter inch away from it. The pillows are the same. Good Stuff. I was an industrial / commercial / residential painter for a couple decades. Low VOC latex paints hardly smell at all now-a-days. The urethane base in this bed is good in my mind for longevity. Urethanes make the best caulking and numerous types of VERY good two part coatings. This #6 comfort layer will probably have to go but I’m committed to giving it a trial period. 24 ILDs is way too cushy for me on top.I could switch to 28 or 32 ILD in the near future.

Keeping in mind that if I sleep better than I ever have, I’ll know I’ve always chosen the wrong bed type. Got to refresh myself with the pros and cons of different levels of firmness in talalay.

Heck I’ve slept good when I was young on leaves in a sleeping bag at the mountains. So before I turn into a total narcissist, I’m almost set with the most important piece of my bedroom again.

• Come back and go in there and I do notice an odor that did not appear initially. Too warm to open windows, ceiling and exhaust fans on now for a while.