So, I flipped my 2 sided mattress, and...

It seems to be firmer than the other side I had been sleeping on. In June I got a royal bedding pillowtop, which I ended up using a 2" foam topper with because of my hip bursitis. That has worked well, no more pain, able to sleep. I tried flipping it after a week as I intended to wear it evenly per the instructions on here about new beds. However I noticed the other side seemed firmer and hip was a little painful so I flipped it back, where I’ve been doing great with the topper for 3 months. So I figured 3 months was time to flip for sure, and I put the topper on as usual, and slept fine on back but not on my side, as it seemed firmer and caused hip pain.
So my question is, is it normal to have to get used to other side, and will it soften up? Should I just go back to the original comfortable side? I know that defeats the purpose of a flippable mattress, but I’d rather be able to sleep. And if that means a new mattress in 6 years instead of 10 or 12, well, so be it.

Is your Mattress Flippable and the same Pilow Top as the other side too? And made the same softness?
One side if flippable maybe firmer. That could be why your not comfortable. Also just my opinion, I would have put a 3’" Latex Mattress Topper on it if my hips were not the best on the other side if useable.
So many options, let some others here direct you and help. Sure hope it helps you!
Phoenix will understand and give you the best advice.
Bunny

Hi Bunny!
Yes, it’s a flippable mattress, with the same pillow top on both sides. It’s good quality, made by a local manufacturer and I checked out the specs with Phoenix before buying. There are absolutely no sags or dips or problems on the side I’d been sleeping on, I just want it to last as long as it can by periodically flipping/turning it.
Funny you should mention a 3" topper, I do have a foam 3" topper in reserve I could try again I guess. It just sleeps hotter than the 2" one I’m used to now. Picky, picky, aren’t I? :wink:

Hi Vicky,

It sounds like one side of your mattress has been broken in more than the other one and it’s probably just a matter of giving the “newer side” a few weeks so that it can break in as well (see post #3 here). With a topper on top of it then it may also take a little longer to break in than it would without a topper.

Once you have slept on the firmer side for a few weeks so it can also break in if both sides aren’t the same then I would also give Tom at Royal Bedding a call and discuss it with him since it’s always possible that for some reason one side was made firmer than the other and he would probably be able to suggest a solution that would let you sleep on both sides of the mattress and take advantage of the durability advantages of a two sided mattress.

I would also stick with the topper that works best for you on your specific mattress because with a softer mattress a thicker topper may end up putting you out of neutral alignment and 2" would be more of an average choice that would be less risky in terms of support/alignment (and as you mentioned possibly temperature regulation issues as well)

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,
Yes of course you’re right, giving it time is the logical thing to do. I just panic about not being able to sleep. And the good news is, only a few nights later it’s perfectly fine, with the 2" topper, and I’ve been sleeping late because I don’t want to get out of it in the morning!

Hi Vicky,

That’s good news … and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix