So I got my Dream Foam "Ultimate Dreams Eurotop" Latex mattress today..

Initial thoughts, as I haven’t slept on it yet.

This mattress has 8" 2lb HD Poly Foam as a base, 3" Talalay Latex for comfort, and a Bamboo Knit top. The top can be swapped out in different comfort levels.

Box arrived with no damage. Free pillow was inside. Packed very well., I had a foam mattress topper before. It was maybe 3" inches thick, comes rolled up. So when I saw this box, I was thinking to myself how the heck can a 12" mattress come out of this box? Cut tape off, unrolled it and it started to expand. Once I cut the plastic open with scissors to make a bigger hole it came to full size in seconds.

Smell: I smell absolutely nothing as far as the mattress it concerned. I’m going to use it right away. As for the pillow it stinks like crazy. It’s not the type of stink that will ruin your whole room (as far as I can tell). It’s only if you’re close to it (ie: head on it). I didn’t even want to test it out it smells so bad, but I finally did test it and it’s super comfortable, so I’ll leave it in the corner of my bedroom for awhile. I just couldn’t wait.

Comfort: I spoke with Chuck on the phone and I wanted something soft. He said most people who want a soft mattress go for an 8 out of 10, with 10 being the most soft. I listened to his advice. I should have went for the 10. It’s firmer than I’d have liked. I may swap out the eurotop thing for the softer one.

Style: The top of the mattress is white with some kind of Bamboo logo in green. Even though you’re not going to see it, I like it.

Hi yuppicide,

Thanks for the update and your initial feedback … I appreciate it.

You were probably wise to listen to their advice and I would wait until you have slept on your mattress for a few weeks before considering making any changes because there will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the foam layers lose any of their “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress.

If you go much softer with your body weight it could have a detrimental effect on the durability and useful life of your mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for the feedback, Phoenix. I will give it a few weeks.

Some more comments on smell of the pillow. My Mom bought me a memory foam pillow last year or the year before. It was $99 I think. or maybe $79… anyway, a lot more than Dream Foam’s pillow. It smelled a lot worse than the Dream Foam pillow and gave me a headache it was so bad. So in comparison, this one smells, but it’s not as bad as I originally made it out to be. I actually think this will turn out to be a more comfortable pillow. The few seconds I laid down on it felt really comfortable.

I moved the mattress into my bedroom. It’s quite high. Laying on the mattress, the top is quite “poofy”. A little curved if you ask me. Could that be from the Eurotop?

When sitting on the edge of the mattress, so my feet touch the floor, there is quite a bit of “sag” or “sinking” in that spot, yet when I lay down I don’t feel sunken in. When people say it’s too soft, they lay down and memory foam engulfs their body. I don’t get that feeling.

As for heat, I can’t tell yet how that’s going to be yet. I mean, I’ve got some waterproof mattress protector on top and right now I’m hot, but it’s probably because I had just moved the mattress. I’ll know more tonight.

I want to say f- black Friday, because I need to go out and get a bed sheet. Gotta keep the dog off the bed until I get one.

Hi

What kind of pillow did you get?

That’s probably because your mattress is latex which has a more “on the mattress” feeling than memory foam (there is more about the differences between latex and memory foam in post #2 here).

There is also more about latex mattresses and edge support in post #3 here.

Phoenix

So I’ve now used the mattress close to a week. It’s already “softened up”. I was originally going to swap out the topper for the softer one, but I don’t think it’s worth the hassle. I have to leave a deposit, when the new one arrives swap it out, ship this one back, and they’ll refund me most of the deposit. I think this is good enough for the price range of mattress I bought. It’s definitely not as comfortable as the $3200 mattress I looked at in store.

Sitting on the edge of the mattress and it sagging doesn’t bother me at all. How often do I sit on the edge of my bed? Never. The most I sit on my bed is 10 seconds in the morning to put my socks on.

Feeling the top of the mattress without any type of cover on it, the bamboo feels quite nice. It’s smooth to the touch and not scratchy like some fabrics are.

I originally woke up with a slight headache and a sore body, but I think that was due to the holidays, and it being a new bed to adjust to. I was off 4 days in a row and one day I slept like 10 hours to make up for the fact that I don’t normally sleep long on work days… If I sleep too long I feel bad. I normally sleep 6 or 7 hours a day. While sleeping longer is indeed nicer, too long makes my body hurt. So, now that I’m back to work and my normal 6 or 7 hours sleep I no longer wake up sore.

I would say I am happy with this mattress if it gives me at least 3 years worth of good service. Maybe 4, but I think if it gives me at least 3 I am satisfied. I’ll keep it longer if it continues to provide me with good service.

As for next time, I probably wouldn’t want to buy this mattress. Why? Has nothing to do with the mattress or the company I got it from. I just think I want to move up to something even more comfortable.

As for the memory foam pillow that you asked what it is… not sure… icool or something, but Googling icool it doesn’t look what I have. It had the name cool in it somewhere. It was from Hammacher Schumacher, so if you can imagine overpriced. It’s definitely cool.

PS - That memory foam pillow Dream Foam sent me still stinks. I think it’s similar to a “My Pillow” and my Mom has two of them and loves them. The My Pillows can go right in the washer and dryer, not sure about this one.

What’s the relationship between Dream Foam and Brooklyn Bedding? Dream Foam is in Arizona. Brooklyn Bedding is in NYC. The pillow actually says Brooklyn Bedding on it.

Hi Yuppicide,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

If your mattress is well inside the comfort/support range that is suitable for you and you are sleeping well on it after the first few weeks and you have gone through the break in and adjustment period then it would be reasonable to expect that it will last you for 7 - 10 years (latex in general is the most durable of all the different foam materials).

I would keep in mind that “comfort” is very subjective and has little relationship to the price of a mattress and for many people your mattress may be more comfortable than the $3200 mattress you tested at Sleepy’s … and it would almost certainly use higher quality and more durable materials as well.

I was curious about which pillow that Dreamfoam sent you (not the one you already had) and whether it was shredded memory foam or shredded latex. It should say which filling material it uses on the tag.

It’s probably not a good idea if your pillow is a memory foam pillow (memory foam can be damaged by liquids). The MyPillow is made from polyfoam … not memory foam (see post #20 here).

Brooklyn Bedding is named after the owners daughter … not the city. They are sister companies that target different markets and share common ownership. Both are made in their new state of the art factory in Phoenix, AZ.

Phoenix

Shortly after getting my mattress there was a lump in my back. 1 to 1.5 feet from the edge of the bed. I wonder if it has to do with the topper. Maybe it got scrunched up. I didn’t unzip the top because it didn’t bother my back. Only bothered me that there was a speed bump on my bed and it’s noticable. I’ve since turned it around so it’s at my feet, but maybe tomorrow I’ll unzip it.

I would give a warning to not let even small dogs on your bed. The bamboo topper easily rips. My dog was fluffing the blanket up and next thing I see is a 2 inch strand of fabric hanging and a small hole. Just not sure if I am mad enough about seeing how much it would cost to replace. Dogs been sleeping on my bed for close to 10 years now, but he’s banned now.

I unzipped the pillow. Tag says cover 40% bamboo charcoal, 25% spandex, 35% polyester. Pillow says nothing on it. Smelling each separate, the pillow inside smslls worse.

So I’ve got 3 pillows… dream foam shredded. It’s kind of firm. Not using it. I’ll see if my grandmother wants it after it stops stinking.

Memory foam of some sort, and the water pillow.

The water pillow is my favorite however, years ago a friend had one I liked more. I can’t seem to find one like it. My pillow has a pocket inside to hold water and outside some soft pillow. My friend’s pillow held more water. It was all pocket no soft material on the outside. Your head just sunk in nicely.

I was helping him move once and he was throwing it away and offered it to me. I originally took it, but minutes later got the idea in my head what teenage boys do to pillows (dirty mind here) and I proceeded to rip the pillow apart… lol. Then my friend called me an ass.

Hi yuppicide,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update.

Latex is very elastic and can stretch and compress very easily so it’s very possible that the latex top layer may have shifted or bunched in which case it would be easy to “wave” it into the correct position (just lift the edges and wave it into position like you would a sheet rather than pulling or tugging which can tear the latex).

Phoenix

1 - Yes you can unzip the top and re position the topper. No problem.

2 - The bamboo topper can be cleaned with a mild soap.

3 - The dog slicing the hole in the mattress I think I’ll have to live with.

So it’s been a few months since I’ve had this mattress and I thought it was enough time to come back and give my feedback.

1 - I don’t remember exactly how long, but I left the stinky pillow in the corner for some time. The smell is gone and I started using the pillow. It’s comfortable, but I wouldn’t say it’s the most comfortable pillow I’ve ever used. If you try fold the pillow to make it higher, I don’t enjoy the pillow at all. However, if I just use it flat and put other pillows underneath to make it higher than it’s okay. I personally wouldn’t buy this pillow.

2 - I do not care for the bamboo top. It’s hard to put in words what happens. Let’s say you have a t-shirt, and you’re at work and you get caught on something in the warehouse and a thread of fabric rips and is hanging out. That’s what this does. Then let’s say you have a knit sweater… and you know how if you get a cat or another fabric some of the hairs/fabric will get stuck in your sweater. Wait, how about when you dig in the bottom of your jeans pocket and you have a piece of lint stuck to the pocket? It’s like that. All over.

I don’t know how I sleep, but the bed sheet never stays on the bed… every day I have to make it… Since I don’t always have the bed sheet on my bed has a bunch of “other fabric” stuck to it. There’s small lengths of the bamboo cover pulled out with other fabric stuck to it.

3 - Comfort level is still good. I’m 255 Lbs roughly. I don’t notice any sagging or anything like that. I’ve not had any summer months yet to test it out, but so far I can’t blame the mattress for any hot sleeping nights. Only thing hot is when the other person in my house turns the heat up too high. Not the mattress’s fault.

Hi yuppicide,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

I’m not sure of the reason for your comments in #2 but it sounds like you could benefit from either a mattress protector (if you aren’t already using one) or a fitted sheet that does a better job of staying on your mattress.

Outside of any potential damage to the mattress … I would also consider a mattress protector to be important to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because most mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. They can be easily removed for washing and are usually designed to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress itself. This way you won’t need to clean your mattress cover except for spot cleaning when necessary and vacuuming the surface from time to time. There is more about the pros and cons of the different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

I’m not sure of the specifics of your sheets or the pocket depth but there are a few suggestions in post #3 here that may be useful (including custom pocket depths with elastic all the way around and/or sheet straps/suspenders or drawstring sheets).

Phoenix

It appears that Yuppicide is not exactly overwhelmed by his purchase of the Eurotop latex mattress
I was actually thinking about purchasing one. I am also about 235lbs and a side sleeper… I like latex and was comparing this Eurotop to the Brooklyn Bedding BME…which has 4" of latex whereas the Eurotop has 3" of latex
Now I am not sure of which way to go…??

Hi BobinCA,

As you;ve probably read in the tutorial … while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Based on their comments in this topic … it seems that yuppicide’s biggest issues that they mentioned are not about the mattress itself (they said the comfort level was still good) but about the free pillow (which like any pillow some people love and some people don’t like), the fact that their sheets don’t seem to stay on the mattress (they may need different sheets with a different pocket size or an elastic that goes all around the edges of the sheet) and their comments about the cover of the mattress which would be prevented with a good mattress protector which is important to use on any new mattress anyway.

[quote]I was actually thinking about purchasing one. I am also about 235lbs and a side sleeper… I like latex and was comparing this Eurotop to the Brooklyn Bedding BME…which has 4" of latex whereas the Eurotop has 3" of latex
Now I am not sure of which way to go…?? [/quote]

As you also probably know from the tutorial … while nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

You can see some comments about the pros and cons of each of them in post #2 here but the “bottom line” is that both of them use high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability and useful life of either or them relative to your weight range.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you’ve narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which they are) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your own local testing and/or your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, designs, or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix