So Many Mattresses so Much Confusion

Hi SeattleJen,

I would just follow the steps in post #1 here to “cut through” the confusion.

When you are testing mattresses locally the ILD is not important to know and your own personal testing is the best way to test for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

Your comfort choices with an online purchase would involve a more detailed phone call because you couldn’t test it first in person.

All soft materials are less durable than firmer versions of the same material but latex in any ILD is more durable than the equivalent in other materials. I certainly wouldn’t worry about the durability of the Dunlop latex in the ILD you are looking at and the Woodlawn mattress is also two sided which will increase the durability over an equivalent one sided mattress as well (probably by 2/3). IMO … it is certainly good quality and good value as well (and a similar mattress from a major manufacturer … if you could even find one with the same quality … would be much more.

It’s also not $1500 more than the total latex mattress which also has 9" of latex and I would also factor in the added “value” of a two sided mattress which is a more costly design. I also tend to use a 20% difference or so when you are comparing local to online to be roughly equivalent value because you have the ability to test it in person and the risk is lower although of course each person my have a different risk tolerance and their own idea of the difference between a local and online purchase that would be “equivalent value” for them.

Assuming that you have done the testing and had the conversations so that these are your “final choices” out of all the mattresses that you are considering at each place and that you’ve talked in detail with each of them so you are familiar with the pros and cons and options of each choice …

The 10" total latex mattress (in queen size) is $1799. This is one sided but has the advantage of having a replaceable comfort layer (which is also a value bonus because you can replace a layer instead of the whole mattress) but the bottom two layers can’t be flipped and are sewn into the mattress. The Woodlawn is $2300 in queen size. The difference is $500 (roughly 27%) and once you factor in the extra value of a mattress that is finished on both sides they would be much closer in terms of value depending on which parts of your own personal value equation are most important to you.

If you were only choosing only between these two then your final choices would certainly be between good and good IMO.

Phoenix