So overwhelmed!

I am so overwhelmed with all the info and materials on mattresses, I can’t even keep this info straight anymore that I could really use some help narrowing down my options.

A little history, to get an idea of what I possibly like or not like:

When my husband and I were first married we just used the mattress and bed set that was given to me a few years before, typical mattress that I didn’t care for. A year into our marriage we were given a waterbed frame that a coworker was getting rid, which we had to purchase the waterbed for. We ended up getting one with some kind of batting in it for added support. Best sleep I ever had, as long as hubby didn’t move! Husband hated it is putting it mildly, so it didn’t last long. And comes back our old mattress…fast forward to after our first child and we need to get a new mattress finally!! Boy did the differences in what we liked and didn’t like rear it’s ugly head, which turned into an all day event just to agree and settle on one! He likes firm as a board bed, I love the plush, cushy cloud like feel, ended up with a firm mattress with the thickest attached pillow top with wool & cashmere. Was awesome the first year, even though hubby wasn’t trilled with pillow top. Then the hammock effect started, and we turned that bed all the time! But we were stuck…after the 2nd child was a toddler we had had it with the hammock bed, so I start eying the air adjustable beds, do not know the name at that time, but was concerned with my husband liking the the foam material, we pass by a Tempurpedic booth at a city fair, so I have him try it to see if he is open to the foam type material so I could convince him to look at an air mattress. Mind you by this time I have had 2 children and suffer from lower back, shoulder and neck issues and my husband deals with a pinched sciatic nerve from a work injury. So he lays down on the Tempurpedic and the salesperson raises the feet, we didn’t realize it was an adjustable, and pressure is relieved on his sciatic and he is sold, couldn’t even get him to look at an air mattress he associated it with our experience with the water bed.

Needless to say we walked away purchasing a split king adjustable Tempurpedic that I would Always hate! Husband has been in 7th heaven and loved it from day one where I was in the “adjusting” stage! I have been sleeping most nights on our reclining couch because the stupid bed makes my hips hurt so bad I can hardly walk in the morning. It’s been over 8 years now, I think, and I have been looking for a good topper to put on it but have yet to find anything I like and if I do they do not come in twin XL. The mattress is still in shape and we do not see any break down of the material, after all it’s flexible rock of a bed!

So now I convinced my husband to buy me a new mattress for my side of the split king to be placed on the adjustable frame. We go check out the Sleep Number bed, go through all the testing and trying out their beds. I had my aha moment when I laid down with it on 100 and the salesperson starts lowering the number and the pain in my lower back disappears! Then I knew I wanted a pillowtop, and fell in love with the i10, my cloud! But talk about sticker price shock!! That was double what we had planned to spend. So we walked away needing to budget and save for it…then I started investigating them online and all this negative reviews started popping up!! now what am going to do!? Start searching online and I come across Intellibed which sounded very interesting gel material but wasn’t thrilled with going back to a metal coil mattress, so I thought I would get a topper from them. And with all these different materials available now I was just too confused and I hate the off gassing too. I thought gel topper was the safest way to go, I start looking for reviews on it and they too were not very positive…something about the gel breaking down and creating a hammock effect. Been there done that! Which brought me to this sight.

Saying that I am overwhelmed by all the info is putting it mildly, especially after all my previous searching. Granted it is all great info, I am just at the point I can not keep it all straight! I really wish there was one place where I can actually see all the companies you recommend, I am more of a visual learner, but there is nothing I am interested in near me at all! Southern California here.
I noticed that under Select Foam that their is a Select Air website that caught my interest, but know nothing of them and couldn’t really find reviews. And Cozy Pure topper has caught my interest too, I would love to combine their wooluptuous with the lanoodle! LOL only because I am afraid of purchasing a mattress with out trying it!

I would really appreciate it if I could be pointed towards or materials narrowed down as to which would be a better fit for me. Sorry for the long post!

Thank you in advance!

Hi Saucedo,

The first thing I would suggest is to read post #1 here which along with the information it links to help you eliminate the worst choices ane help you focus on the better ones. This can greatly increase your odds of finding a mattress that is “perfect” for you.

The goal to cut through the confusion is to connect with experts who already know and are willing to share what you would otherwise have to learn (which can be overwhelming as you know) and will help you find a mattress that is suitable for your needs and preferences with the best possible quality and value. These are generally smaller independent or local manufacturers that are sold either factory direct or through better sleep shops around the country.

If you let me know the city or zip where you live I can let you know about any of the better options I’m aware of in your area. Who you work with when you are starting out can be more important than trying to figure out what type of mattress to buy,

I would also suggest reading this article before you seriously consider an airbed.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response, I will try again in the morning with fresh eyes! Lol as for my location I would prefer to not give exact location publicly but I am located between Inland Impire and San Gabriel area.

“I would also suggest reading this article before you seriously consider an airbed.”

I did not find an article with the air mattress as the topic

Hi Saucedo,

Oops … I linked you to a previous link I had copied in another reply. The airbed article is this one and I’ve corrected the link in the previous post as well. My apologies.

The better options I’m aware of in the Greater Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here. It may also be worth reading post #2 here.

You have some very good options available to you.

Phoenix