So Which Organic Mattress Should I Purchase?

I have researched organic mattresses for almost a year now after I bought a Beautyrest that made me sick. There is nothing that seems to point to one Manufacturer as being the “best” when it comes to organic mattresses. I read that some of these manufactures that claim to have “organic mattresses” really don’t have such a product. I’ve read that wool alone won’t pass the open flame test so fire retardant is still used. I read that latex foam will sag after a couple of years. I have read that coil springs create a harmful electromagnetic field. I got stoked about Intellibed until I started watching a couple of videos and realized the guy was mostly full of BS and then read the review by Phoenix which further cemented my negative feelings towards Intellibed. I live in Las Vegas so I don’t want a bed that is too hot. I’m 6 feet 240 pounds and I sleep on my side and belly most of the time. I currently sleep on an old inner-spring mattress with a 3 inch Latex topper (from Arizona Premium Mattress Company) on it. The topper made it tolerable and it is the guest room bed. But the topper won’t fit in the cover they sent me and it has seemed to sag a bit. I have been to Foam Sweet Foam in Anahiem CA and I liked their beds but they do smell. I was thinking about visiting the Essentia store in Berkeley CA next month but I read that their beds aren’t good for someone at my weight. The trouble with Laytex is its very heavy. It just doesn’t seem that there is an organic mattress manufacturer that is “the one” to go with. They all seem to have strengths and weaknesses. I’ve been to the Ergo Bedroom here in Vegas and tried out Savvy Rest, Naturepedic, Natura and Carpe Diem. I liked the Savvy Rest the best out of those beds but it was $5000. I really just want a non-toxic organic bed that I can get a good night’s sleep on and not worry about allergic reactions but it’s been really difficult to choose which one to get especially when they are so expensive and there are so many choices. I’m getting tired of not having a bed but I just haven’t gotten “warm fuzzies” that a certain manufacturer is definitely the way to go yet. I have a hard time believing what mattress sales people tell me.

I could have sworn I wrote this. I went through almost the same exact thing you did. Got rid of my 12+ year old mattress and purchased a Beauty Rest. After the 3rd night, I had to move the mattress out of the house cause it too made me sick. And this was a “certipurUS” mattress. It didn’t smell up the entire room, but the “off-gassing” did leach through a bed spread, bed sheet, and 2 comforters. The smell was like musty mold / burning oil / cat urine.

Long story short, after 3 failures, I went with a Prescription Organic Cotton Mattress from Royal-Pedics. It was one of the “cheaper” line. I wanted their pillowtop organic mattress but that was 10k!

I just got the mattress and it was delivered covered in a blanket instead of plastics. It didn’t have any chemical smell to it. Just natural cotton smell.

I haven’t slept on it yet since I’m waiting for some bed frames.

The mattress itself, looks plain. No Organic Cotton worded stitching on the cover of the mattress like Sattva and the “Organic Mattress” I purchased locally. The cotton cover is like an off-white color. Honestly, this version doesn’t look fancy at all. Looked cheap imo. But hey, it’s gonna be covered up anyways so looks shouldn’t matter. It’s the “can I sleep on this” that’s most important.

There is a warning label saying it hasn’t been tested for fire safety and it says “Blended Organic Cotton batting”.

I should have it ready by the end of the week. Will post updates then.

If you’re in SoCal, you can maybe try Latexpedics in Garden Grove?

or check out Royalpedics. They have several organic mattress. Including all Cotton, or one with Wool. Their wool is also untreated.

And yes, the one I purchased will not pass an open flame test. Which is why it required a prescription.

Hi bbunney13,

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how green is green enough for me” or even “how organic is organic enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I would completely agree that there is no such thing as the “best” mattress (organic or any other type) … there is only a mattress that is “best for you” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you regardless of whether the same mattress would be “best” for anyone else.

There is more information in post #2 here and the post it links to about organic certifications and materials.

You have been reading some misinformation here that isn’t accurate at all because wool by itself can certainly pass the fire regulations without adding anything to it (see post #2 here).

This is also misinformation. Latex in general is the most durable foam material used in the industry.

There are certainly some people that believe this and while I have seen these types of comments about innersprings being a “safety” issue because of electromagnetic fields … I have never seen any specific evidence that this is the case other than some very non specific anecdotal stories that don’t provide any evidence that would relate to innersprings or metal frames. I would personally be more cautious with “active” electromagnetic fields (such as living close to high tension wires, holding a cell phone too close to your head, or sleeping near active electrical fields or wiring as examples) … but I personally wouldn’t have any issues with sleeping on an innerspring in terns of safety.

There is some information and guidelines in post #3 here and the posts it links to that will be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges.

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). Needless to say I would be very cautious here.

Hopefully you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial as well which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice for you … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Las Vegas area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

The tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Many of them make latex and latex hybrid mattresses (including several that make component latex mattresses that are very similar to Savvy Rest) that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that are in much lower budget ranges.

Phoenix

I’m new to this site and I am extremely overwhelmed by how confusing the mattress industry is. I’ve come across so much green washing and biased websites that I don’t know what to believe anymore. Before I found your site I thought I had some viable options one being Essentia. As I continue to research I have found that company to be deceitful . I’m on the hunt for a quality mattress that doesn’t compromise the safety of my family meaning a mattress with limited or no off gassing/VOCs/ petrochemicals…etc, etc. I would prefer a natural latex mattress that’s made with integrity and with natural pure products(does that even exists). Can you please point me to the right direction of where I could find something along those lines without being an imposter of “green” “0rganic” mattresses. I live in Southern California and I’m open to reputable online vendors and places in SoCal I can visit as well. Any feedback and recommendations would be great.
Best Regards,
Enriqueta Cervantes

Hi Quetac84,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it doesn’t get mixed in with another members questions.

The best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic informtion, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” or “how green is green enough for me” or even “how organic is organic enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

I’m not sure where you are in the Southern California area but the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here and the list for San Diego is in post #2 here.

The tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Many of them make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex and have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you Incognito for your experience and for who to look at in SoCal. I’ll be interested to see how you like the mattress you just purchased. I don’t care if the mattress looks fancy or not either. I’m just interested in getting a toxic free good night’s sleep.

Thank you sooooo much Phoenix for all of the information!!! I have read the mattress shopping tutorial but it was last year when I read it. I will read it again and read the posts you have so nicely provided links too. Thanks again!!

Hi bbunney13,

I noticed that you also mentioned Anaheim, CA and Berkeley, CA in your post so just in case you haven’t seen them yet the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here and in the San Fransisco/Berkeley/Oakland area are listed in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix