Soft, Medium or Firm

I need a Twin mattress and decided to go with Brooklyn Bedding. My five year old weighs 50 lbs and is 43 inches in height. Should I go with a soft, medium or firm?

The bed I purchased specifies the intended mattress dimensions as 37.5 - 38.5 W. I see that the Brooklyn Bedding Twin mattress is 39 inches wide. Would it work?

Also should I get a soft, medium or firm mattress for a guest bedroom?

Check out Az premium mattress company for their special kids bed. Its all latex, and cheaper than the BB twin I believe.
Ken is great to work with (first hand experience with my mattress purchase) and he can answer any questions you have on firmness for your situation.

Just a suggestion for another option.

[quote=“ejcrossl” post=52967]Check out Az premium mattress company for their special kids bed. Its all latex, and cheaper than the BB twin I believe.
Ken is great to work with (first hand experience with my mattress purchase) and he can answer any questions you have on firmness for your situation.

Just a suggestion for another option.[/quote]

Thanks for the pointer ejcrossl! I will consider this option. Any idea what is involved in laminating the pieces cut off from a bigger mattress. Would it hold on as the kid grows and gains weight?

Hi leol,

Post #2 here and the topics it links to also has much more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which also include more information about many good options for children which may also be worth considering.

I would avoid soft for a child and medium would be a more “average” choice for a child as well as a guest bedroom.

A mattress is soft enough that it can “squish” a little bit even if it’s 39" wide it would probably be fine although if it sits too deeply inside the bedframe rather than more on top of the bedframe then it may be a little more difficult to tuck the sheets underneath it.

You can see a description of how they manufacture the mattress here. Blended Talalay latex is among the most durable of all the foam materials so it would certainly be a very durable choice that would last for many years.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Any of the mattress underground members offer a 100% natural dunlop latex mattress with a trial period and free return if in the event I don’t like it?

Hi leol,

The optional online step in the tutorial includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online that I believe all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. They include many different types of mattresses and many of them make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including 100% natural Dunlop mattresses) that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would all be well worth considering.

Many of them are also component latex mattresses that allow you to customize the firmness or support of the mattress after a purchase by rearranging or exchanging individual layers so a return would be much less likely and many of them also have good return/refund options as well although there is normally a relatively small cost involved. Don’t forget that any return and exchange policies are built into the cost of a mattress and the large majority of people who don’t return a mattress are the ones who pay for the small minority that do. I don’t know all the details of each of the return policies off the top of my head but they are listed on their websites.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would also make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Phoenix