Softer on top or softer on bottom

I have a memory foam bed that is entirely too firm, and like most other foam beds, sleeps too hot. I’ve been considering two potential options: getting a 3" soft latex topper from sleep on latex, or getting a 6" pocketed coil base from Legget and Platt. The mattress is made up of layers, and I could potentially remove the bottom most layer if I went the pocketed coils.
Does anyone have opinions on this? Am I being foolish?

Many foam mattresses have their layers glued together, and if yours does you may not be able to separate the layers without tearing or otherwise damaging them.

Hi Skymo.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are certainly not alone sleeping hot on a memory foam mattress. It looks like you are also sinking down over the course of the night and bottoming out onto the firmer layer bellow. Option #2 - reworking your mattress would be a bit of an adventure and I am not sure if any of the components would be worth salvaging only to be left with the same “hot sleeping surface”. IMO it would also not be cost-effective by the time you are done with this experiment and needing to buy extra components necessary to fix all its flaws.

Option #1 you mentioned, provided that your memory foam layer is still in good shape and it did not develop impressions, would have much better odds of success to add some comfort and get some distance between you and the less breathable, “too firm” memory foam underneath. If you are in the tearing and fixing you could even remove the entire memory foam layer but I’d do more experimenting before going that route.

If you chose to go option #2- coil route, keep in mind that a coil support layer is too further away from you and may not contribute enough the temperature regulating properties of the overall mattress. The memory foam layers that are closer to the top sleeping surface will have the greatest impact upon comfort and sleeping temperature (including any mattress pad, sheets, and linen). I am not sure if you came across some of our posts that discuss temperature regulations issues, but you can read more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here more about tracking mattress temperature regulation issues potential causes ~ Post #2 here (at leastpost #29 about temperature regulation and mattress microclimate to the degree possible for a specific mattress) and the posts it links to that may be helpful. You may also be interested in the information in . As Sweet Dreams mentioned, if that’s still something you’re interested in doing, you may wish to have a peek inside your mattress and see if the layers are glued together.

As far as your topper option #1… Latex is the most breathable foam material and a good choice for those who tend to" sleep hot" but the ticking/quilting materials, mattress protector, and sheets and bedding can also have a big effect on temperature regulation in a mattress as well. It’s a good quick fix to a firmer mattress.

As you’re probably already aware, Sleep on Latex is a Trusted Member on our site, and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the best in the industry. They offer a high-quality product and are also knowledgeable and transparent and I’m sure they’d be happy to answer any questions you have about their toppers!

Keep us posted and let us know if you have additional questions.

Phoenix