Something for Phoenix to see..

I’m a backer of another project on Indiegogo, so I get their emails from time to time and this showed up today… not sure if you saw it:

Hi yuppicide,

I’ve seen the Purple mattress it but it hasn’t been mentioned on the forum up till now.

They are using a layer of buckling column gel which is a good quality and durable material but they don’t provide any other information about the other layers in the mattress so I would avoid it until the complete specs are known (see this article).

There is more about buckling column gel in this article and in post #2 here and the posts it links to and a forum search on “buckling column gel” (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

Thanks for mentioning it on the forum :).

Phoenix

ADDED: I took a little closer look at their site and they do in fact list the specs of their other foam layers (to their credit). The buckling column gel is 2" thick and then there is a 3.25" layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam under the buckling column gel (this may be 3.5" thick because they list two different thicknesses in their FAQ and the description for each size) and a 4" 2.0 lb polyfoam base layer which are both good quality materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress although I would add a caution for those that are in higher weight ranges (mid 200’s or higher) because of the 1.8 lb polyfoam comfort layer.

Phoenix,
…so what manufacturer uses at least 2.0 density foam above an inner spring? (since I weigh in the low mid 200’s (235). :slight_smile:

Hi BobinCA,

Unfortunately I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local or online lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

If you are considering online options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be worth considering.

Latex in general is a more durable material than 1.8 lb polyfoam and it would certainly be a suitable choice for a hybrid mattress in your weight range that may be worth considering. There are many people who prefer latex/innerspring hybrids (see post #13 here) over other types of mattresses or combinations of materials and outside of any local options that may be available in your area … some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and the post it links to but if you wish to test any of them in person rather than ordering online you would need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have a dealer close to you.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix