Something Similar to the Pure Echo

Is there a mattress that is similar to the Pure Echo by My Green Mattress, but less expensive and less firm? My youngest daughter has this mattress due to her multiple food allergies and chemical sensitivities and I’d like to find something similar for my teenage daughter and step-daughter, but can’t seem to find anything in our budget ($500 for a full size mattress). My older children are definitely not as “sensitive” to things as my youngest, so the mattress does not have to be completely organic, but I am avoiding any latex whatsoever and anything entirely made of foam - I’m just starting to fear a quality mattress like this does not exist in this price range. Thanks!

Hi lax2luv,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The Pure Echo (as you may have already found) is quite a good value for a quality non-foam mattress. Regarding firmness, you’ll tend to find most non-foam mattresses to be on the firm side, especially as the fibers compress over time and some people do add wool toppers to achieve a bit more plushness without the aid of foams. Post #3 here has some of the better sources for these I’m aware of.

I do get asked this question once in a while, here is a very incomplete list with some examples of some manufacturers that make mattresses similar to what you are looking for (innerspring/natural fibers with no foam) to give you some ideas and a sense of the wide variety of designs and pricing available. Some of these include latex which you may want to exclude but you can look on their sites to see what they have available.

www.mygreenmattress.com (a member of this site)

https://www.gardnermattress.com/ (a member of this site)

https://www.vivetique.com/ see here as well daxstores.com

https://www.purerest.com/

Lifekind® Certified Organic and Naturally Safer® and their sister company www.omimattress.com/

https://royalpedic.com/default.asp

www.sleeptek.ca/ see here thenaturalsleepstore.com/products/sueno-...spring-mattress.html for an example

www.chbeckley.com/

landandsky.com/index.asp see here for examples thenaturalbedstore.com/organic-mattress.asp

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: daxstores.com |Archived Footprint 2: thenaturalsleepstore.com/products/sueno-...spring-mattress.html |Archived Footprint 3: landandsky.com/index.as | Archived Footprint 4: thenaturalbedstore.com/organic-mattress.asp

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the reply and wealth of information! I have ventured over to mattresses.net during my research and am now looking at their DIY mattresses. I’m interested in the pocket coil base and, although it’s not available in full (or even twin XL - boo), my husband and I are also planning to replace our king mattress. I was thinking I could perhaps get the pocket coil base for us with a bamboo or cotton cover and find some sort of foam topper elsewhere (I am only finding latex toppers on mattresses.net). I just wonder about a different manufacturer’s sizes matching up with the base and case. Is this a viable option? Would foam “work” for a “hybrid” mattress like this instead of latex? Thanks again!

Hi lax2luv,

You’re very welcome.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components that are purchased from one or several different sources then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen). If you want some guidelines on addressing the different quality of componentry, the durability guideline here offers up some good information.

If you’re looking for different options for componentry for a DIY mattress, you may wish to consider the members listed in the component post here, and mattresses.net is one of our site members on that list, which means that I think highly of them.

Mattress sizes are standardized in the industry (+/- 1" or so), so you shouldn’t have any issues with that. You may wish to speak with any mattress cover manufacturer you are considering and ask if they manufacture their covers to fit “snug” or “loose”.

You could use polyfoam, memory foam, latex, microcoils, or natural fibers on top of a pocketed spring unit. It would all depend upon your personal preferences in materials and comfort.

I look forward to learning about your progress, decision and any specifications if you decide to “tackle” a DIY project.

Phoenix

So I’ve scrapped the DIY idea… :silly: Are there any posts about any of the pocket coil mattresses from Dreamfoam Bedding? I haven’t been able to find much about these so far and cannot locate anything about them on their web site either (I found them on Amazon).

Hi lax2luv,

I think you’re referring to the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex/pocket coil here which has 2" of Talalay latex and some polyfoam in the comfort layers, but I’m not sure of the specifics of all the layers and components. If you’re considering this item, I would phone Dreamfoam directly and make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components.

Post #2 here also lists some more of the site members who offer latex and spring mattresses.

Phoenix

Well, I ended up with something completely different than the Pure Echo. :stuck_out_tongue: My oldest daughter saw the Arctic Dreams and talked me into it, so we just purchased two of them from Dreamfoam Bedding! I read A LOT (probably too much - haha) after she became “set” on a foam mattress (my step-daughter happily went along with it) and am glad to have finally pulled the trigger on these. Regarding my hesitations with foam, here is what personally swayed me to purchase it (in case it helps anyone else):

Reading about the CertiPUR certification
Buying an American-made product
Reading articles on “green washing”
Looking into the Intellibed specs (this is a mattress that a lot of “natural” bloggers push and it contains foam)
Realizing we have a couch in our home that has foam cushions and it has never caused my youngest problems
Email correspondence (Chuck emailed me back about a question within minutes - this was very impressive compared to other customer service I have received)

Thanks again for all of the information, Phoenix! Now on to figure out what we want in our king. :slight_smile:

Hi lax2luv,

Congratulations on your new mattresses! :cheer: The Arctic Dreams certainly represents one of the better lower-priced values in the industry.

As you’re aware, Dreamfoam is a member here and I think highly of them and Chuck. I’m glad he was able to answer your questions quickly.

I’ll be interested in learning about your opinion about these mattresses after your family has had a chance to use them for a while. And of course any questions don’t the road about your personal mattress.

Phoenix

I do have one other question that I can’t seem to find the answer to. On the mattresses where you put “cautions” for higher weight ranges, does this apply to the total weight on the mattress or is it just per person? My husband’s weight is in the lower 200s, I am around 150 and we frequently have my youngest, who is around 40 pounds, in bed with us, so with a combined weight of around 400 pounds on our mattress, should we try to steer clear of these? My husband is tall and I am on the taller side of average, so our BMIs are in the “healthy” range, so I am a little confused. Thanks!

Hi lax2luv,

Sorry for any confusion. Those “guidelines” are per person, not a total weight. Obviously this would be within reason – if you had two people around 200 pounds and three St. Bernards on the mattress, that would be a cause for concern! A 40 lb child, not so much.

The cautions I provide are general in nature and of course your use patterns will have a large impact upon durability as well.

Good question!

Phoenix

Well, our mattresses were delivered yesterday afternoon (coincidentally all on the same day) and we had our first night of sleep on them last night! My husband and I ended up with an Alexander Hybrid from Nest Bedding. I was amazed at the way these mattresses came out of the boxes! And, especially, that I couldn’t detect any smells! I consider my sense of smell heightened/sensitive and, really, unless I put my nose right on the mattresses, I couldn’t smell a thing (which is crazy to me because I swear I remember the Pure Echo having a smell when it was delivered). There were a few stray threads on all three mattresses that I clipped off, but other than that, no complaints so far! My back pain yesterday was a ten out of ten after putting together a headboard (which also arrived yesterday - of course) and moving around six mattresses (the new ones and the old ones), so I didn’t have high hopes for this morning, but I woke up with back pain of probably only a five out of ten (which is incredible for me given how I felt the night before - I’d say an average morning is for me is an eight out of ten). I still have a little hip pain that I always have, but I’m not expecting this mattress to “cure” me. :slight_smile: I’m pretty impressed after just one night. My fifteen-year-old daughter rated the Arctic Dreams a one hundred out of ten, so she’s thrilled! I can’t comment on that one much, but I did lay on it and it felt very comfortable. And just for reference, we’re all coming off of basic, no-frills innerspring mattresses, so that may make us a little easier to please at this point (plus my husband and step-daughter can pretty much sleep anywhere). :silly: I can’t thank you enough, Phoenix! I’ll update if anything changes, but at this point, we’re all happy (and me, personally, even more so that I never had to set foot in a mattress store and I feel like I purchased “quality” mattresses - I prefer to shop online if I can)!

Hi lax2luv,

Thank you for the update, and congratulations on your new mattresses! :cheer: You certainly did make some good quality/value choices.

I’m glad you’re all enjoying everything so far, and I do look forward to any future updates once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon everything for a while longer.

Phoenix