Sourcing Memory Foam (or even Serene Foam)

Hi datrumole,

Itā€™s worth mentioning that foam costs in the industry, in general, are steadily increasing and make buying larger stocks of material increasingly difficult thus many retailers/manufacturers are scaling down and carrying just the ā€œbasic necessitiesā€ avoiding keeping a more diverse inventory of specialty foams and products in their inventory. Some foams and products, you could find two months ago are not available any longer or are replaced by different types, specifications, or offered at steeper prices.
This said as you go through narrowing down a vendor, Iā€™d keep in mind that you may need higher density memory foam depending on your BMI, mattress thickness, and the foamā€™s application within a finished mattress (top comfort and cradling, or additional sink and comfort under an existing top layer of preference, etc)

You are correct that Foam By Mail is also known as Foam Factory see the recent posts 8-10 here.: Memory Foam Mattress Toppers | Foam Factory, Inc. they have 3, 4, and 5 lbs/culft Memory Foam selection and I could also find them on the CertiPUR certified list of participating companies.

As you are aiming for 2" in thickness I would not trust anything for which you do not know the foam density.

Good find! Both on quality and value. Iā€™d stick with them if you are in the normal BMI ranges for the reasons I mentioned at the beginning of my response.

Another supplier Foam Source in Boulder CO has Memory Foam available. I called and spoke with Rhonda (the owner) about their Custom Foam orders. The existing MF at the moment they have only 3.5 lbs/cuft. She explained that what they have in stock changes over time and they offer different densities at different times. I asked why they have only one type of Memory Foam available for their custom foam ordering listing. She mentioned that the steep increase in price makes it prohibitive to order stock to keep on hand for eventual consumer purchase. I am guessing that this is the case with many other foam retailers/mattress manufacturers that sell DIY components.

Good quality but Serene is one of the new generation high-performance polyurethane foams produced by Carpenter (see other foams Carpenter offers here. Serene does not have any of the viscous properties of memory foam (it is not a memory foam and It is also not a latex foam). Carpenter introduced Serene in 2015 and re-launched it in 2016. It is generally a higher density (2.5 lbs as an example) and it is CertiPUR-US certified. This generally would be a good quality and durable plush material. However, it is not technically a high-resilience foam, as that would require a 2.5 density or above, along with a compression modulus of 2.4 or above.

While not a trusted member, Foam Order also has a variety of memory foam densities and thicknesses available. You may want to call and ask them where are sourcing their foam from to make sure that the foam did not stay in transit or storage for longer than normal periods of time.
Foamite in Canada also has 45 grades of foam that you may want to have a look at. (see attachment)

In terms of other producers and foam suppliers, you can always look into some directory listings to identify a few and email or make a few phone calls to try to find out who they supply to and follow it up from there.
ā€¢ CertiPUR has a list of certified Foam Producers that you can look through.
ā€¢ IQS Directory (industrial Quick search of manufacturer directory) provides an extensive list of foam fabricating companies and suppliers. ~ https://www.iqsdirectory.com directory
ā€¢ Foam Fabricating

Wisconsin Foam Products is also a top producer of flexible foam solutions for the bedding industry among many others. .
FXIā€™s Memory Foams and PU foams certainly skyrocketed with a substantial ripple effect among their manufacturer customer base but you can try to see if theyā€™d give you a few companies that they supply with memory foam.

Let us know if you find additional sources worth mentioning
Phoenix

2 Likes