Specific Memory Foam Rec's Requested - Need mattress (and help) asap!!

Hello TMU-ers,

First - great forum, Phoenix your info has been super helpful so far.

I am in the market for a memory foam mattress to replace a severely bowed coil pillow top and hopefully relieve some serious back pain I have. I think my mattress is a huge contributor to my back issues and want a new mattress asap

Of the “big brands” I found three that I like and am trying to use those to determine the best fit for me. Those models are;

-iComfort insight
-Tempurpedic Cloud supreme breeze (though, judge a smidge soft)
-Tempurpedic Countour Supreme (maybe a hair too firm)

Im a back sleeper mostly, but a little give for the occasional side sleep would be the sweet spot.

Ideally, I would be right around $1k for the mattress. I had been eyeing a Restava as they had very competitive prices - but given the surge of recent bad experiences I am now back to square one. Im located in Atlanta, but had been leaning towards the online buy. I really appreciate the help

Hi kws87,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones. As you can see in the guidelines here … I would generally avoid the major brand mattresses you are looking at or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of the materials inside them although I know you were probably just using them as a reference point.

The tutorial post also includes this link to a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of and many of these sell mattresses that use the Tempurpedic models (or some other major brand memory foam mattresses) as a reference point for how they feel and perform. There is also more about “matching” one mattress to another one in post #9 here that may be helpful when you are making comparisons.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Atlanta area are listed in post #2 here.

I also wish that Restava would get back to me with their updated information about the materials in their mattresses (which they haven’t yet) but for the moment I would put them on hold until their updated information is available and you can make more meaningful comparisons between them and other mattresses.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the tips. I was definitely just using the big names as a basis for comparison Your reference material and "how-to"s helped me to narrow down my criteria before and during the testing - especially your PPP’s. Other than the thickness and general layering of foams I don’t know those name brands specs - i.e. types of foam in what order.

I found your older post regarding the online retailers, some of both those who are members here and other names (post #12 in “memory foam mattress help”) I guess my two burning questions are -

1. What online brand is closest to Restava prices, relative to the quality of material
  2. Does anyone have information regarding the specific layers in the beds mentioned, as they could apply to the way online retailers represent their products. Thanks again!

Hi kws87,

This is a reference post which is always kept up to date as new information comes to light. It was last updated on July 9th, 2014.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time to go through all their websites and make price or “value” comparisons (and price is only one part of the “value” of a mattress … see post #13 here) and this is the part of your research that you will need to do on your own.

All of the online retailers and manufacturers in the list are completely transparent about all the materials in their mattresses (which is one of the reasons I included them) and will provide you with any of the information you need when you talk with them about any of their mattresses.

Phoenix

My apologies - Q2 was not worded well

I meant to ask the aprox. attributes of my three reference beds - other than general descriptors they didnt have much to say on specs

Also, anyone that had similar needs I would love to hear what you ended up with!

Current possibilities for me are - sleepwarehouse queen (probably calling them to determine best choice)

• SleepWarehouse
    -Christeli Madeline
    -NovosBed Sonata
    -Rocky Mountain Sundance
    -MyLuxuryMattress Invigor

Thanks!

Hi kws87,

In terms of the attributes you can feel you would be the best judge about what each one feels like to you in terms of PPP (People with different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences and sensitivities can have a very different experience on the same mattress and would describe it very differently) but in terms of the quality/density of the materials the specs of the two Tempurpedic mattresses you are using as a reference are …

Tempur Cloud Supreme Breeze:

Quilt
Tempur-Breeze & Microsuede
100% Polyester

Comfort Layers
2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer 4.1 LB
2" TEMPUR Support Layer 5.3 LB

Support System
Dual Airflow System
3.5" Airflow Base layer 2.2lb
3.5" Airflow Base layer 2.2lb

Contour Supreme:

Quilt
Easy Refresh Stretch Knit Cover
Smart Climate System, moisture-wicking,
Cool to the touch

Comfort Layers
1" TEMPUR Comfort layer 5.3LB
2.4" TEMPUR Support layer 5.3LB

Support System
3" Poly foam Base 2.0LB
5.1" Poly foam Base 2.0LB

The base layers may not be correct because there is also some evidence that they are now using lower density polyfoam (possibly 1.5 lb density) in their base layers.

iComfort Insight Everfeel:

Unfortunately Serta doesn’t disclose the information you would need to make an informed choice about their mattresses (see this article) but I believe that the base layer is 6" of 1.5 lb polyfoam and the comfort layers most likely include 2 3/4" of 4 lb gel memory foam. This would be one of the firmer iComfort mattresses.

[quote]Current possibilities for me are - sleepwarehouse queen (probably calling them to determine best choice)

• SleepWarehouse
    -Christeli Madeline
    -NovosBed Sonata
    -Rocky Mountain Sundance
    -MyLuxuryMattress Invigor[/quote]

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences on a mattress as a guideline or reference for your own (see post #13 here) and I would make sure you talk with all of these in person so you can “talk through” your choices with them. A more detailed conversation on the phone will be the best source of guidance about what each of their mattresses may feel like for you since they have more knowledge and experience with their mattresses and a wider range of feedback from customers that may be similar to you to draw from than anyone else. If after a conversation you aren’t confident about your choice or how closely it matches your reference mattresses then the return or exchange policies and the costs involved would likely become a more important part of your personal value equation so that you can assess a mattress based on your own personal sleeping experience and if it doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped you still have the option to exchange or return the mattress after a purchase.

Having said that … hopefully some of the members here that have ordered any of these mattresses will see your post and share their feedback but in the meantime a forum search on each of them with a search range of “any date” (you can just click the links)…

Sleepwarehouse

Christeli Madeline

Novosbed Sonata

Rocky Mountain Sundance

MyLuxuryMattress Invigor

… will bring up all the forum posts that mention each of them.

Phoenix

^ Supremely Helpful , thank you.