Specs for PureLatexBliss and Savvy Rest toppers?

Anyone know the ILDs on the PLB and Savvy Rest soft toppers? Tried them in a store and hoping to use them as a sort of reference point for what feels comfortable. Thanks!

Hi Bazinga,

The specs for the Pure Latex Bliss Ultimate collection are listed in post #2 here.

The specs for Savvy Rest are a little more uncertain because they don’t provide exact specs but their general range are in post #2 here (although they may be slightly different since they have changed their Talalay supplier since that time).

I would also keep in mind that the type and blend and thickness of the latex layers and the specifics of the cover and quilting materials can also affect the feel and performance of a mattress and how soft or firm it feels so going by ILD alone may not be a completely reliable way to “match” one mattress to another one although it can give you a general reference point.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick response! Definitely know what you mean re: the cover materials. I noticed this in my Perfect Pillow Pursuit. I have tried PLB mattresses, and the mattresses at this store, and also toppers from PLB and SR, and EverEden (now defunct?). I wonder sure I preferred a firm mattress and despised “soft/plush” mattresses, but realized it was actually pillow tops I disliked. The firm mattress with soft topper was a great combo for me. I ordered a 3" soft and 2" med dunlop to perk up our current mattress until we have the money to by the core. I am worried that the soft dunlop will not be as comfortable as the soft talalay toppers were. Our local chain closeout/liquidation stores just recently received huge lots of Latex International pillows, and I love the airy “angel food cake” feel of them. Oh well. If the dunlop turns out to be too firm/dense, I will have to get a talalay topper and use the dunlop as part of the core. Any thoughts on covers - PLB type vs quilted more plush? I feel like the quilted wool/cotton ones would distort the actual feeling of the latex too much. I like feeling the softness envelope me, rather than sleeping on 3/4 inch of cushioning with a flexible mattress underneath… if that makes sense. I still felt like the PLB cover was too thick on top, though. Any suggestions for a more stretchy one-layer (but still adequately protective) cover? And flame retardant free? Thanks again for the feedback!

Hi Bazinga,

EverEden is one of the Jeffco Fibers brand names and is still listed on their site and sold by a number of retailers. [EDIT: 5/19/17. EverEden is no longer listed or being offered by Jeffco.]

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is a preference choice and some people will prefer one and some will prefer the other. There is more about the differences between them in post #7 here. Both of them come in a wide range of firmness levels although Talalay will tend to feel softer for most people than Dunlop in the same thickness and ILD.

There is more about the pros and cons of wool quilted covers vs knit covers that are more stretchy in post #6 here but this would also be a preference choice. Some people prefer the temperature regulation and less resilient surface feel of the wool quilting while others prefer the feel of stretch knit covers that has less effect on the resilience and contouring of the latex underneath them. The PLB mattresses have quite a thick fire barrier component that fits over the latex like a fitted sheet so it would tend to be less flexible and have a bigger effect on the “feel” of a mattress than other stretch knit covers that have a thinner and more stretchy fire barrier.

The component list here that I linked in a previous reply includes a list of the better options for zip covers I’m aware of and post #4 here includes the ones that aren’t quilted and are more stretchy.

As far as I know all of them have an inherent flame retardant layers (vs fire retardant chemicals that are added to the fibers after they are manufactured) but they would likely be thinner and have less effect on the latex than the fire retardant sock in the PLB mattresses but you can confirm that with each supplier since they would be more familiar with the specifics of the covers they sell than I am.

Phoenix

I agree with Phoenix, what you’re feeling is the FR barrier that PLB uses. It is like a dense mattress pad fitted over the mattress. The actual cover itself is very comfortable and doesn’t take away at all from the feel of the latex. It’s a 450-485 gram weight viscose/rayon/spandex blend. Of course, the PLB toppers have no such FR barrier.