Spinal Care Bedding

I’ve been going through the arduous process of finding a new mattress. I really like the feel of the latex mattresses and feel very close to buying one. However, I recently tried out a mattress from Spinal Care Bedding at The Organic Mattress Stop in Studio City. It has a latex top and pocketed coils. I really enjoyed the feel of it, and it was far less expensive than the latex mattresses I’ve been looking at. I would like to get thoughts on the construction of this mattress. I wrote to Spinal Care Bedding, and they responded with, “The Gloria plush you inquired about is one of our softer models and is constructed using an 810, 13 gauge pocketed coil with 3” high density foam encased walls as the core. The top consists of 3" convoluted Talalay latex and an organic fabric finish." What do you think?

And by the way, I just came across this site. Really awesome! You’re a great help!

Hi Jomaco,

You can see the quality/durability guidelines I would suggest using in post #4 here to make sure there are no weak links in a mattress. In the case of this mattress I would want to know the blend of the Talalay latex (100% natural or blended but this is more for comparative reasons that quality/durability reasons) and the density of the polyfoam encased walls (1.8 lb or higher polyfoam is a good idea if you sit on the edge of your mattress). I would also want to make sure that the thickness of the layers and components added up to the thickness of the mattressto confirm that the information you received were all the layers in the mattress (including any quilting materials in the cover). If your mattress only includes the Talalay latex and the pocket coils and the polyfoam edge support is a suitable density then there would be no weak links in your mattress in terms of durability and it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

I asked them details regarding the mattress. This was their response, “The Talalay is a natural blend, the foam walls are 1.8 density and there is a foam layer under the latex of the same density of about 2” which is the top of the foam encased box. The glue used is water-based Simalfa. The fire barrier quilted in the fabric is non-toxic Whispershield." I should add that the store is selling the mattress for about $915. Thoughts?

Hi Jomaco,

Thanks for the additional information and confirming that there are no “weak links” in the mattress.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but since there are no lower quality and less durable materials or “weak links” in the mattress, if it compares well to your other finalists in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price) then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you for your thoughts. The mattress I’m comparing it to, I also find quite comfortable. It is an all natural Talalay latex mattress. One inch layer on each side and a 6 inch core. And it has a closed cotton cover with a layer of wool on each side. That one is about 1600 dollars with some pillows, mattress protector, sheets, and delivery. Which mattress is the better value?

Hi Jomaco,

The value of a mattress purchase is relative to all the criteria that are part of a mattress purchase that are most important to you. Which one is the best “value” for you is something only you can decide and may be different from which mattress is the best value for someone else.

When you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing, your conversations with each of them, your confidence about the suitability of each one, the prices, the exchange or return options you have after a purchase, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix