Spindle Mattress - too cheap?

I’m shopping for a king mattress and have decided to try latex. Buying a mattress through the internet is a nerve wracking experience and I’ve been doing a good deal of reading and learning.

I’m settling in on the Spindle mattress but am concerned that the price is just too good. Their king is $1,700 which is significantly lower than kings at other internet-based sellers with good reputations and similar products.

For example, Bed-in-a-Box offers a 10" king that appears to use the same “patented continuous pour latex from a Pennsylvania company” as Spindle but it costs $3,000. Seeping Organic’s 10" king is $2,450. Savvy Rest, $3,800.

Those are some wildly different prices for what appear to be very similar products. I would like to go with the Spindle, not only for the price but because they seem to be a good company but I am concerned that their low price is just too good to be true.

Can anyone share their experience with Spindle? Thank you.

Hi RaymondC,

You’ve probably read these already but just in case you haven’t … two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

[quote]I’m settling in on the Spindle mattress but am concerned that the price is just too good. Their king is $1,700 which is significantly lower than kings at other internet-based sellers with good reputations and similar products.

For example, Bed-in-a-Box offers a 10" king that appears to use the same “patented continuous pour latex from a Pennsylvania company” as Spindle but it costs $3,000. Seeping Organic’s 10" king is $2,450. Savvy Rest, $3,800.[/quote]

As you probably know I think highly of Neal and Spindle and they are one of the members here which means that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

They use the same type and blend of latex as Bedinabox made by the same manufacturer and have a similar design and are an “apples to apples” comparison so perhaps a better question would be why is Bedinabox so costly. In terms of quality and durability they would be the same. Spindle also uses two 3" layers under their top 3" comfort layer instead of a single 6" layer so they also have more options to rearrange the layers to fine tune the comfort and support of the mattress both before and after a purchase should that be necessary.

Savvy Rest provides the option to choose either 100% natural Dunlop that is certified organic or 100% natural Talalay while Sleeping organic provides the option to choose 100% natural Dunlop (either certified organic for an additional charge or without the organic certification) or 100% natural Talalay so once again they would be an “apples to apples” comparison and a better question would probably be why is Savvy Rest so costly.

Each of them also have different return/exchange policies as well which may also be an important part of your personal value equation.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but all the mattresses you are considering use high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them.

A forum search on Spindle (you can just click the link) will bring up hundreds of posts with more comments and feedback about them.

Phoenix

I just wanted to stop by and say that I ended up buying the king mattress and foundation from Spindle Mattress. I’ve had it for about three months and I absolutely love it. Thank you Phoenix for the advice and the discount.

Hi RaymondC,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s also great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you!

Phoenix

Just a quick update…one year later and my Spindle latex mattress is still ridiculously comfortable. Hope this helps someone on the fence.

Hi RaymondC,

Nice to hear from you again!

Thanks for taking the time to report back on your Spindle mattress, I’m glad you’re still enjoying it, and I appreciate you taking the time to report back.

Phoenix