Spindle Mattress

Thanks to this site I discovered that Spindle Mattress is only a few miles from my house.

I was able to visit their showroom and gauge the firmness of their mattresses.

Neal answered all my questions. He is knowledgeable and helpful without any sales pressure.

The mattresses seem great, so I am going to order a medium-firm queen.

Hi mcleanm,

As you know I think highly of Neal and Spindle as well and your comments are very similar to many other members here that have been impressed with his knowledge and service as well.

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it as well.

Phoenix

Picking the firmness was the hardest part. I spent a long time with the floor models wondering which would be best.

I finally decided on the medium-firm queen Abscond.

The Abscond has three 3" layers of Mountain top NR latex. The medium-firm has a C4 base layer and two C3 top layers.

Once it’s delivered, I’ll write up my initial impressions.

Hi mcleanm,

That sounds great :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’m designing the slats that will support the mattress.

The width needs to fill the frame, but should the length be slightly longer or shorter than the mattress?

The specs list the mattress as 79.5". Maybe the slats should be 80"?

15 3x4" slats with 2" spacing are 80 1/2".

Any problem using two 30" pieces for some of the slats instead of a full 60"?

Hi mcleanm,

[quote]I’m designing the slats that will support the mattress.

The width needs to fill the frame, but should the length be slightly longer or shorter than the mattress?

The specs list the mattress as 79.5". Maybe the slats should be 80"?[/quote]

As long as the mattress is well supported then 1/2" isn’t going to matter except for aesthetics although it would depend on the type of bedframe you are building as well and whether it has an inset or has a flush surface. If it has an inset of course then it will need to be at least as large as the mattress that is going inside it with a little room for your fingers to make the bed. If too much of the slatted surface is visible underneath the mattress then it may not look as good as having the mattress cover the slats.

You will need a center beam with support to the floor so it really wouldn’t matter because two 30" slats would meet over the center beam anyway.

Phoenix

My mattress shipped today!

Hi mcleanm,

That’s good news … and you won’t have much longer to wait now before you get a chance to sleep on it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Last night was my first night on my new mattress!

The mattress was delivered in three big boxes 28"x24"x20"

The first box weighed 57 lbs and contained the cover and a 3" medium latex layer.
The second weighed 54 lbs box and contained a firm 3" firm latex layer.
The third weighed 43 lbs and contained a 3" medium latex layer.

I was able to carry each box up the stairs alone without any problems.

The boxes where heavy duty and mine arrived undamaged. The box with the topper was very full, so I used extra caution while opening it. Each box was clearly labeled with a sticker indicating its contents. The first box also contained a color printout of the setup instruction. Spindle did a fine job packing and shipping me my mattress.

The tag on the topper says 84% natural latex, 8% Eco wool, and 8% organic cotton. The bottom of the topper is synthetic mesh material. The topper seems high quality. My only concern is the plastic zipper. This seems to be the weakest component in the mattress.

The latex layers were not vacuum packed. They were folded in half and put into the box in an S shape. Each was wrapped in heavy plastic. They had stickers indicating the top of the layer. Mine had no rubber odor at all. I could detect a faint almost sweet vanilla like smell for a moment after opening the plastic, but it soon dissipated. The latex was beautiful. I saw none of the discoloration or imperfections typical of natural latex.

I was surprised how hard it was to setup the layers. I had trouble positioning the first layer. When I shook the latex the whole bed moved. When I finished the mattress wasn’t perfectly square. I may try restacking it in a few days when I can get some help.

The spindle mattress is bigger than the mattress it replaced. The old mattress seemed to be a couple inches shy of a full queen (cost cutting?), but the spindle is a full 60x79.5. I was afraid the spindle would thinner than it’s predecessor, which claimed to be 11" , but the spindle is actually thicker. I think the old mattress “exaggerated” it’s specs.

The Spindle feels very comfortable. The first nights sleep was great, and it has good edge support. I will know more in a few days as everything loosens up, but so far it’s exceeded expectations.

Hi mcleanm,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

After sleeping on the mattress for a few days, I’m starting to wish I’d went with a softer top layer.

I sleep on my side. I haven’t had any arm numbness, but I feel something deep in my lower back when I take a deep belly breath.

I’ll give it a couple of weeks before I make any changes.

Hi Mcleanm,

As you know you have lots of time to exchange a layer if you need to make any changes to your mattress but as you mentioned I would give it at least a few weeks before making any changes so that the mattress has a chance to break in a little and your body has a chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface.

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Just over two weeks, and the mattress is getting more comfortable. My lower back feels fine. However I do get a knot between my shoulders. It feels like my normal posture is hunched forward, but the new mattress is forcing me straight, and it fatigues my upper back. Is that possible? I actually think it might be good for me. I feel like I’m standing up straighter.

Hi mceanm,

Yes … this is very possible. You can see a discussion about this in post #2 here and in post #2 here and there are some more detailed comments in post #45 here that may be helpful as well.

If it’s only been two weeks and if your body is “used to” a sleeping posture that is not in good alignment then the adjustment period can take longer than it normally would and it’s not unusual that there would be some discomfort during this time.

It’s also possible that it could be a pillow issue.

Phoenix

I did order a couple of adjustable shredded latex pillows. I’ve used latex pillows for years, but didn’t realize shredded latex pillows existed until I saw them at the Spindle showroom.

I am tossing and turning much less. I used to thrash all night and tear the sheets off the bed, but now I feel like I lay down and wake up in the same position.

It’s been one month.

I fall asleep quickly and don’t toss and turn, but I’m still waking up stiff.

I may need a softer layer, but I’m going to wait a bit longer before deciding.

Hi mcleanm,

Thanks for the update.

Has your experience changed at all (either for the worse or better) over the course of the month?

Is your experience still changing or does it seem to have stabilized?

It may also be worth trying (from top to bottom) a C3/C4/C3 to see how your experience changes (for better or worse) with a little firmer support layers (this may be useful as a pointer).

It may also be worthwhile to try just the latex layers without the quilted cover on top (just your sheet and mattress protector) so you can test the effect of sleeping more directly on the latex which may allow it to contour a little more to your body shape and may feel a little softer.

Phoenix

Trying the firmer configuration is a good idea.

I do think it’s getting slightly better.

I think my back is twisting rather than sinking too deep. What causes torsion?

Hi mcleanm,

People may “twist” out of alignment for different reasons but one of the most common would be the body trying to “twist” away from a pressure point so for example it could be from pressure in the hips where you turn the lower part of your body to change the surface area and relieve the pressure or the same thing with the upper part of your body as a way to compensate for pressure under the shoulders.

It could also come from the body trying to “stretch” a muscle or a joint that has stiffened up over the course of the night or as a way to compensate for a pre-existing condition as well.

One way or another … it’s the result of the body trying to compensate for something that it is experiencing.

Phoenix