Spindle Mattresses

Greetings, thank you Phoenix for all of your helpful information. I do have one more question however, as I stated earlier, I am looking for a low-profile mattress and I have checked out the 7 inch mattress from Spindle. I have spoken to Neil and he was quite informative to talk to. My only question is that their mattress is considerably less expensive then similar mattresses that I have found elsewhere (like 1/2 to 2/3 the price). Is everyone else overcharging for the mattresses, or am I am I missing something about the mattresses that Spindle sells compared to the others? Thank you once again.

Hi HudaThunkit,

You may be looking at their synthetic Dunlop latex that uses a continuous pour process and is made by Mountaintop Foam which is a less costly version of latex compared to Talalay or 100% natural Dunlop. You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here.

If you go to the Spindle site and click on either the Blue Shoal (which has 6" of latex) or the Abscond (which has 9" of latex) and choose the size you are looking at from the menu then you can choose either synthetic or 100% natural and you will see the price change to get a better sense of the relative difference in cost between their synthetic and 100% natural Dunlop . They also use polyfoam in their quilting which is a lower cost material than the wool that some other manufacturers use. (Note: Spindle is now only using 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop in their mattresses and have changed to a wool quilting as well)

Regardless of this … like the other members of this site … they offer some very good quality/value in any of the options they have available.

Phoenix

Thank you, but I was looking at their 7 inch model with 100% natural Dunlop latex and comparing it to similar models elsewhere. The only significant difference that I see with their model compared to others is that they use the polyfoam in their quilting instead of the wool. Other than that I see no significant difference between their mattress and other mattresses that cost nearly twice as much. Can you explain to me what I may be gaining or losing by having the cover filled with poly foam instead of with wool? Would it be good or bad to add a cover such as this https://www.flobeds.com/products/2140ST on top ? Thank you once again

Hi HudaThunkit,

Their 100% natural Dunlop uses a continuous pour process but otherwise would be roughly comparable to other types of 100% natural Dunlop that is made in a mold.

How they compare would depend on which mattress you are comparing them to but the main differences would probably be the “feel” (not the quality) of their Dunlop, the firmness levels and layer options that are available, along with the cover materials (which can be a significant part of the cost of a mattress) and of course any of the other criteria of your personal value equation that are important to you. In terms of quality and durability their Dunlop would be closely comparable to other mattresses that used 6" of 100% natural molded Dunlop. They are certainly a good quality/value option. Mountaintop Foam also makes the Dunlop latex that is used in Ikea mattresses (such as the Edsele here which uses a slightly different blend with 85% natural rubber).

You can read more about the effects of different quilting materials and the pros and cons of a quilted vs an unquilted cover in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you once again. I must say that as a person who is in a wheelchair and who cannot get out to the stores to try out any recommendations or to try anything on line before receiving it, this entire process is a pain in the ass. Not that I can sleep on every or anything, but I’m simply looking for a high-quality, comfortable, firm latex mattress at a reasonable price that doesn’t break the bank. I don’t mind paying some more if I’m getting more but it’s very difficult to tell when you can’t see it and you are relying on others to help you decide. As you know, sometimes you get what you pay for, Other times you don’t. It seems at the moment that the options boil down to Spindle,com, Mattress247.com, Mattresses.net, or kttenterprises.com + a cover.

Thoughts? ty

Hi HudaThunkit,

[quote] As you know, sometimes you get what you pay for, Other times you don’t. It seems at the moment that the options boil down to Spindle,com, Mattress247.com, Mattresses.net, or kttenterprises.com + a cover.

Thoughts? ty [/quote]

If you are focusing on latex … then here are the things that I would consider to be important if I was in your position.

1. If you haven’t had the chance to test a variety of latex mattresses you may discover you don’t like latex at all so I would make sure there is a good return policy just in case.

2. I would make sure that you have a more detailed conversation with any online retailer or manufacturer you are considering so that you can provide them with more detailed information about your criteria, budget, circumstances, body type, and preferences so you can take advantage of their experience and knowledge about the options and features that each of them offer to help you decide which ones have the features and options that are important to you and are the best match for your personal value equation. Without personal testing your detailed conversations will be one of the most important parts of the process … and your confidence that you are making the choice that is “best for you”.

3. I would tend to focus on either 100% natural Dunlop or blended Talalay which are both good quality and durable materials that are in the “middle” budget range for latex. Synthetic blends with Dunlop are less costly but may not be as durable with higher weights (I don’t know your body type) and 100% natural Talalay may be a good choice in firmer layers (it can be less durable than a blend in softer ILD’s) but it’s more costly. Organic Dunlop is also a high quality material but you will pay a premium for the organic certification and the material itself isn’t significantly different in terms of feel and performance from 100% natural Dunlop. You can get some sense of the difference between the “feel” of Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

4. I would make sure that there is a good layer exchange policy so that if you like the overall feel of latex but either the comfort layers or the support layers need to be firmer or softer based on your sleeping experience that you have the chance to exchange a layer at a reasonable cost without having to return the whole mattress and start all over again. This way you can use your actual sleeping experience as part of the process in lieu of testing the mattress in a store.

5. Outside of the sources you are currently considering I would focus on the manufacturers or retailers in post #21 here which sell latex mattresses that have the options you are looking for and are inside your budget range. They all have different options, benefits, and features which you may find more or less important but they are all good quality and value choices.

Most importantly I would remember that no matter what the quality or value of a mattress based on its “commodity value” or the cost of the raw materials that are used inside it or the cost per “inch of latex” that the design of the mattress as a whole and it’s suitability for your body type and sleeping style is the most important part of its value. I would think in terms of a mattress that is “best for you” rather than trying to find the “best” mattress which can be an exercise in frustration because it doesn’t exist. If a mattress isn’t a good match for you and you can’t sleep comfortably on it then it would have little value to you regardless of how anyone else may feel about it. When you look back on a mattress purchase a decade or more down the road you will remember much more about how well you slept on it and how long it lasted you than you will about relatively small differences in price.

Phoenix

thank you once again and I appreciate your time and patience with me and my questions. Its not that I am necessarily resigned to latex however I purchased a 10 inch Enso Dreamweaver memory foam mattress. II actually do not mind sleeping on it. However the problems that I do have is that it is slightly too tall for me ato get onto, as I slide across from my wheelchair on to my bed, and spasms sometimes hold me towards the edge of my bed. I also don’t like how this mattress sinks in and does not come back like latex does.that’s why I’m looking for a 7 inch quality durable mattress the likes of which I understand that latex can afford. I would get a coil mattress or something much firmer, however I also need the mattress to bend when I put the head of my bed up. I am about six foot tall and I am Sam and only way perhaps 140 to 150 pounds.I have read a lot about the different types of latex and the differences between them, including how they are made and the characteristics. I haven’t even received a few samples to feel the differences. there are only about a half a dozen options out there for such a mattress unless I piece it together, and I have been doing my best to weed through them and figure it out, especially without having transportation and being able to go to the stores and try anything out or anything that I purchase online before getting it.you can understand better now why I ask you about the wrappings that go around these mattresses now since you know much better than ideal considering that it is easier to compare the latex inside of themby reading about them than the covers, if that makes any sense. Once again thank you very much

Hi HudaThunkit,

I’m not sure if you were asking a question in your last post but these are exactly the types of things I would include in your phone conversations with each manufacturer you are considering (after making sure from their site that they make a mattress that is the thickness and in the budget range you are looking for).

Hopefully the general information about covers and quilting I linked in my last reply gave you the information you wanted about how covers and quilting layers can affect the feel of the mattress but each manufacturer will know their materials and components better than anyone else and when you talk with them they will be able to provide more specific information about the “feel” of their specific cover and quilting and how it affects the overall feel and performance of their mattresses.

Phoenix