Spindle Review

My mattress journey started while I was in college (2009). I knew my first big purchase once I landed my first job, was to buy a quality mattress. The search started when I was trying to find a way to compare mattresses between retail stores. This led me to a mattress blog, where an owner would answer questions on a weekly basis. Then I found a forum, which was pretty active until being pretty much taken over. And finally I came here and learned a lot along the way (mostly lurking).

Going in, I knew I could sleep on pretty much anything. Temperature plays more of a factor (I ruled out memory foam. Was intrigued by a latex/innerspring mix). I had a full mattress which was going on 10 years (something like Simmons BackCare Entre). The mattress had started sagging in the middle around year 8 even with rotations/flipping. At other times, through travels, I have slept on just box springs/hardwood floors/cots no problem. I attempted to pull a sleepover for some sports tickets, which took place in a parking garage. This was the only time I have been unable to get comfortable sleep.

When I started researching, SleepEZ and Flobeds were the major players which kept coming up. I was also interested in White Lotus home, since it was a local company. These were a little out of my price range, so I kept saving/looking. I figured this would be an in between bed. I was switching locations and moving to the NYC area. I knew bedrooms would be smaller, so even though I wanted my next bed to be a queen, I knew not to buy until I knew my space. Ended up buying a full to save room and money (I don’t want to go all out, until I potentially have a serious girlfriend, since I figure their comfort will be tougher than mine).

Then the next round rolled out with Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam/Spindle among others. Ikea had a few options too. When I went to buy my bed frame, I was able to try a latex mattress for the first time. I tried a few different models at Ikea and only liked the two more expensive choices (at this point, they were on closeout and slightly lower than the other offerings).

April 2014
I decided to go with a Spindle Abscond - Custom Synthetic blend (it looks like they no longer offer the synthetic option). I talked with Neal over the phone and we agreed on layers (I would have liked to go with the natural option, but the budget didn’t allow it at the time). Neal sent an email when they were getting the order ready and realized they were out of the synthetic blend firm. He offered a free upgrade to the 100% natural for the firm layers, and recommended to go with the medium for a similar feel. I really appreciated this step, and was happy not settling for Ikea. I no longer remember which exact layers I went with, but have not had any issues.

I chose to go with the Ikea Nyvoll (no longer offered) for the slanted headboard. I like the Muji offering, but with shipping, was a little out of my price range. I bought the Luroy slats and the midbeam, and have not had any issues.

The bed arrived as three boxes, which were easy to bring up to my second floor apartment. I opened them and let the pieces air out, although I did not notice any smell. Later I had some family helping me move, who were also able to help put the latex pieces together in the mattress case. They got a kick out of assembly the mattress and seeing exactly what goes in.

M, 5’7" 180 lbs. Sleep hot. Still toss a little bit (sometimes pillows end up on the floor).

In terms of the full bed:

I have Hotel Collection Primaloft Density Firm and Soft pillows. Some nights I like to sleep on my side and sometimes on my stomach. Some nights I will start with one and wake up with the other. I also have a Natura Wool Filled pillow, which is a good compromise between both. Although sometimes I will wake up with my head on my arm (which has fallen asleep) and all the pillows out of the way. But with this, I still feel fully rested.

I chose to go with a St. Dormier Wool mattress protector and it has held up well.

For sheets I have one set of Frette Percale (after I stayed at a hotel with them, before getting my mattress, and had one of my best nights sleep). And I have a set of Linen Sheets. I use the percale in the summer and the linen in the winter (a little surprised the linen sleeps as warm as it does. I have the down blanket for three seasons, and a down comforter for winter. I usually prefer to sleep around 67-70. But in the summer I usually have the AC set to 75. In the winter I rely on radiator heat, and don’t always have control.

I still occasionally wake up sweating a little, but it is better than it used to be. One of my issues is that I like to sleep with a little bit of weight. I have tried sleeping with just a top sheet or light cotton blanket, but could never get comfortable. I have found the down blanket to be just enough.

Overall, I am happy with my setup and it has held up well. The only issue has been trying to move the mattress by myself. I would like to turn my bed against the other wall, but it is a bit floppy.

Hi 77Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to come back over a year later and share such detailed comments and feedback about your mattress … I appreciate it.

As you know you made a great quality/value choice (even without the upgrade) … and belated congratulations on your mattress :slight_smile:

You’re right that Spindle discontinued their synthetic latex option just after you made your purchase (see their post here)

If you just need to move the bed once then you can always disassemble the mattress by rolling up each layer and tying them loosely while you roll up the other layers and then reassembling your mattress on top of your bedframe after you’ve moved it (although it would be easier with two people).

Phoenix

Thanks. I returned since my brother mentioned needing a new mattress. He was looking at some of the Black Friday “Specials” at Sears and US Mattress among others. I wanted to see what the current landscape was. I remembered that Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam were sister companies. Interesting to see how Brooklyn Bedding has simplified their offerings.

I figured now was a good time to post a review, because while initial item reviews are good., you also want to see if they can stand the test of time. Although I am aware that just over a year is still an introductory time for a mattress.

Hi 77Pat,

Hopefully you warned him that the better manufacturers and retailers don’t generally “negotiate” (see post #6 here) or have “fake sales” with large discounts based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here). While they may have sales with smaller discounts … I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have “major holiday sales” as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses don’t need to negotiate or have “fake sales” with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very reasonable.

You can see some comments about the changes they made to the Brooklyn Bedding site in this post.

Phoenix

Is the quality of Spindle’s natural latex as good as their discontinued synthetic latex blend?

Hi KimRet,

The testing that was done by Mountaintop Foam which makes both of them indicates that they are very comparable in terms of durability but the natural latex would have different properties than the synthetic and would be more resilient, denser, and would be more “supportive” because it has a higher compression modulus (the rate that a foam material becomes firmer as you compress it more deeply). The natural latex would also be more desirable for those that prefer more natural materials in their mattress but it’s essentially a budget and preference choice.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=59282]Hi 77Pat,

Hopefully you warned him that the better manufacturers and retailers don’t generally “negotiate” (see post #6 here) or have “fake sales” with large discounts based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here). While they may have sales with smaller discounts … I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have “major holiday sales” as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses don’t need to negotiate or have “fake sales” with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very reasonable.Phoenix[/quote]

He isn’t really interested in the reasoning, just the suggestions. I have tried explaining. I understand about the sales tactics, which is why I put Specials in quotes.