Spindle vs. Ikea

Greetings!

I’ve done some decent research and have pretty much decided on a Spindle latex mattress. I love the quality of their materials, made in the USA, an all natural/no off gassing product and Neal and Kim have been very helpful in answering questions. Seems like a great mattress.

But before I pulled the trigger, I decided to just look at the IKEA Morgongava latex mattress - it is 85%natural/15% synthetic with cotton and wool. Pretty closer to Spindle but a about $400-500 cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone had any feedback or experience on either of these and if the Ikea mattress is pretty clean choice or if Spindle is worth the extra $ etc…Am wondering if I should pay the extra for the Spindle or if I should try an Ikea Morgongava.

Thanks!

Hi eeks,

[quote]But before I pulled the trigger, I decided to just look at the IKEA Morgongava latex mattress - it is 85%natural/15% synthetic with cotton and wool. Pretty closer to Spindle but a about $400-500 cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone had any feedback or experience on either of these and if the Ikea mattress is pretty clean choice or if Spindle is worth the extra $ etc…Am wondering if I should pay the extra for the Spindle or if I should try an Ikea Morgongava.[/quote]

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP (or is a reasonable approximation of another mattress) … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The Morgongava is a two sided mattresses that uses high quality materials (85% natural latex made by Mountaintop Foam with a wool quilted cotton cover) so there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress in terms of durability. There are also some comments about it in this topic and this topic and this topic and a forum search on Morgongava (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about it as well. There are also a few people that have mentioned that it had a strong smell (see posts #14, 18, 21, and 22 in this topic but this doesn’t seem to be consistent from mattress to mattress.

It uses “mostly natural” (85% natural and 15% synthetic) continuous pour dunlop latex while Spindle uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop which is a more costly material. Spindle also contains 9" of latex while the Morgongava uses @6" of latex so the Spindle uses about 50% more latex which would also be more costly.

A forum search on Spindle (you can just click the link) will also bring up much more information and feedback about them from other forum members as well. As you probably know they are one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, transparency, and knowledge.

Most importantly … Spindle is a component mattress which means that you can customize the firmness of the comfort and support layers before a purchase and if your original choice isn’t suitable for you you can also rearrange the layers or replace individual layers to change the comfort and/or support of the mattress. This means that it would be suitable for a much wider range of people than a mattress that only has a single firmness choice.

The Morgongava is an “all or nothing” mattress that for most people would be on the thinner/firmer end of the range and if it wasn’t a suitable choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) then the only options you would have to “fine tune” the mattress would be to purchase an additional topper or of course you could also exchange it for another mattress but this is the only “mostly natural” latex mattress that they carry so they may not have another mattress that you would be interested in.

One of the additional advantages of a component mattress with individual layers and a zip cover is that if the softer comfort layers soften or break down before the deeper layers in a mattress (which is most likely) or if your needs and preferences change down the road you can replace individual layers instead of having to replace the complete mattress.

While only you can decide which one is the “best value” for you (regardless of whether it would be the best value for someone else that has different needs and preferences or criteria than you do) … once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix - thank you so much for your reply! I had computer problems and couldnt log in all week.

This is very helpful. I think I’m going to stick with Spindle. My only decision now is their medium or firm. I tend to like firm but dont want too firm. I’m just going back and forth because I dont want something too squishy because I’m afraid my back will hurt over time. Such a hard decision! I guess I can’t go wrong because they have the comfort exchange.

Thanks again!!

Hi eeks,

Your best source of guidance about the initial combination of layers that has the best chance of success will be a more detailed conversation with Spindle.

Just for reference … they offer a “comfort adjustment” that allows you to purchase a new layer that is either firmer or softer at a very low wholesale cost (see here) and you keep your old layer … not an actual “exchange” where you return your old layer.
ADMIN NOTE: Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Spindle Mattress

Phoenix

I plan on taking a ride to the Spindle store sometime this week, or next.
This site has been a great help in my quest to find the best mattress.
I look forward to meeting Neal, and actually getting to try out his mattresses in his showroom.
I never tried a latex mattress, only traditional spring.
I live in NY, but I think the 4 hour ride is worth it.
I will let the forum know what happens, and post my results when I get back.

Hi ookiedukes,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so your posts don’t get mixed in with the comments in another member’s topic.

As you know I think very highly of Neal and Spindle mattress and they are one of the members here which means that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. You are certainly heading in a great direction :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix