Spindle vs Tuft & Needle

Hi all! We are looking to purchase a new mattress, to replace our very old pillow top spring mattress. We are considering a latex mattress from Spindle, as well as the Tuft & Needle ten. The Spindle is at the top of our budget, while the T&N is an easy price point for us. Does anyone have recommendations either way?

Hi Awatts, the Spindle has the option to select different firmness while the T&N 10 only comes in one firmness (I believe they describe as a medium-firm). Both are different types of mattresses, the Spindle as you mentioned is latex while the T&N is made of poly foam. They would tend to feel differently. As far as the T&N (or any other firmness description given by a mattress company) it’s pretty vague what medium or medium firm means. One person may find it too firm while another finds it more medium or even medium soft.

You mentioned your old mattress being a pillow top innerspring. If you haven’t tried either poly foam or latex in person it may be worth a trip to a local mattress store to determine what sort of ‘feel’ you like (being the two you’re considering are quite different). I personally haven’t run across any all poly foam mattresses in a mattress store, it may be harder to find. Hard for someone else to suggest what type of feel you’d prefer and that probably tops the list of priorities.

Both have good options reducing purchase risk (and buyer’s remorse). The T&N has a 30 day trial (60 day trial for being a member here) so if you were to order it, you’d have a good chance to try it and if it didn’t suit you it could be returned. I’m not sure about returns with Spindle, but they have a 1yr time period for comfort exchanges ($150 flat fee includes shipping) so if it wasn’t quite right you could exchange layers for softer or firmer. Both companies are members of this site and offer member discounts which is a perk. Both also use better quality materials (~2lb density poly foam for T&N, continuous pour dunlop latex for Spindle), but that won’t address how they feel to you personally. Testing out some local options, getting a feel for what provides good support and comfort may narrow down the options for you as to what works and what doesn’t. If you do some local testing and get an idea of what model/models work well for you, then you might be able to use it as a reference point and talk to the companies you’re looking at to better find something that matches or comes close. It may not be a definitive answer like you were hoping for, but I think you’ll be happier and find better success that way. Hopefully it helps you out so you can find something that works best for you.

Hi Awatts,

I think brass has done a great job outlining the pros and cons of the options you are looking at.

Along the same lines … there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but the first priority is always how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and which type of material you prefer.

The Tuft & Needle is an “all or nothing” purchase that will either work for you or it won’t because it only has a single firmness option. If it works well then you would be set and if it doesn’t then you have the chance to return it at no cost to you.

The Spindle has individual component layers that can be rearranged in different ways (or a layer can be exchanged) so in effect it is several mattresses in one and you can use your sleeping experience to find the combination of layers that works best for you. Latex is a very high quality material and is the most durable of all the foam materials.

As brass also mentioned I would also try to do some local testing on latex (particularly Dunlop) so you can get a better sense of how you like the feel of latex in general. Polyfoam is the same material that is used in most sofas so most people would be familiar with how it feels at least in general terms. It’s also the material that is used in the comfort layers of many innerspring mattresses although it comes in many firmness levels. The 1.8 - 2 lb polyfoam that T&N uses is also a good quality material but isn’t as durable as latex.

Just to add one further possibility … the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable here may also be worth considering as well. It uses 2 lb polyfoam and also has 3 component layers and has a cover with a different quilting pattern on each side of the cover so it can be customized in 12 different ways. It is similar to the Spindle in the sense that you can put the layers together in different ways to customize the firmness of your mattress but similar to the Tuft & Needle in that it uses polyfoam instead of latex.

You are looking at some very good final choices but as brass also mentioned they are also very different from each other and your preferences will play a major role in your choice.

Phoenix

Thank you both so much for all of the information! We went to two local mattress stores today, but neither of them had something similar for us to try. I did discover that I prefer a more medium feel, so I think that I am leaning toward the latex mattress. I also really want something that will hold up well for many years. I have always used latex pillows, and I love the feel of them.

Hi Awatts,

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that may be close to you and may give you a chance to test some latex.

Phoenix

Thank you! I’m in Chattanooga, TN.

Hi Awatts,

Post #2 here has the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Chattanooga.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix! We went by one of the stores you suggested this morning. We loved the Pure Latex Bliss mattresses. I liked the firmness of the Nature mattress, or possibly something a little softer. Do you know what firmness level at Spindle would compare?

Hi Awatts,

The ILD’s of different types of latex (Dunlop vs Talalay or even different types of Dunlop) aren’t directly comparable and the design of the Spindle mattresses are also different in terms of layer thicknesses and the cover they use from the PLB mattresses and I also don’t have any personal experience with the Spindle mattresses so I don’t know how they would compare.

Having said that … Neal at Spindle helps his customers with these types of comparisons every day and will know more about their mattresses than anyone else and while none of their mattresses may be an exact match to any of the PLB mattresses because of the differences in material and design … he would be the best source of guidance about which of the firmness options and layer combinations they offer would likely come the closest to any of the PLB mattresses you are considering.

Phoenix