Spink & Edgar Mattress Angora 9000

My wife and I have been on the hunt for a mattress for a few months. Thanks to this website, we’re hopefully headed in the right direction with much more knowledge than the average consumer:0) We were down in Boulder, CO last night and were trying out some mattresses at “Foam Source” They carry both Dunlop and Tallalay latex. I want to love the latex bed and we were actually considering buying from Spindle, but wanted to find what firmness would be best. I am 6’ 2" about 195 and I tried most combinations of latex. The Dunlop was a little too firm no matter what the configuration?? The Tallalay was nice, I could get 90% there but something was just not quite right?? I want to love it after reading all the reviews, but for me it just feels o.k.???

We stopped in at Urban Mattress in Boulder while we were there and Tried the Dunlapillio Ambiance which we liked, but it seems like 1 layer of latex with a bunch of polyfoam?? If you know anything about this mattress that would be helpful?? We also tried ViSpring, holy cow this was the 1st time I laid in a bed and felt like I was in heavan, not one point on my body was not in complete bliss!! That being said we don’t have $10,000 to spend:0(.

The sales guy said try this “Spink in Edgar” it felt just like the ViSpring. To be honest I could tell no difference?? The model we looked at was the Angora 9000

Natural and Chemical Free Fire Barrier
3 All natural filling material pads of Angora, Alpaca, Yorkshire Wool, Egyptian cotton, hemp and flax
4 Layers of HD micro coils (8,320)
7'' Comfort Core Innerspring with Quantum Edge Perimeter (1,076)
1 All natural hemp insulator pad
Total coil count: 9,396 coils
20 Year Non-Prorated Warranty

Now this mattress with a base is still $4000 which is more than we wanted to spend, but the comfort and feel was second to none. Issue is I can find no info on this product since it started being imported into the US. I know it has been around for along time overseas, just want to make sure there hasn’t been a ton of changes for the US market?? Is there any other beds similar to the ViSpring and Spink and Edgar that I should be looking at??

Thanks, Bryce

Hi Bryce720,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad the information here has been helpful. :slight_smile:

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

Each person is unique and can have very different preferences. While it’s certainly a very high quality and durable materials, like all materials … some people love latex and some people don’t like it nearly as much. When you spend some time testing mattresses it’s not unusual at all that what you “want to like” based on what you’ve read can be very different from what you actually like in “real life”.

You can read a little more about the Dunlopillo Ambiance in this topic and I would be very cautious with any mattress that has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality and less durable materials or “unknown quality/density” materials in the upper layers of the mattress that would likely be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability. A forum search on “Ambiance” will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

Vi-Spring is certainly an exceptionally high quality hand built and tufted mattress that uses high quality materials and components (pocket coils and natural fibers) but as you probably know it’s in a much more premium budget range than many other mattresses that also use natural materials. There is more about Vi Spring and other “ultra premium” mattresses in post #2 here and post #2 here and post #2 here may also be of interest as well but I would be very careful to differentiate how you feel “about” a Vi Spring and how you feel “on” a Vi Spring. There are certainly cases where a mattress in this budget range may be “worth it” for a particular person that isn’t price sensitive and that has specific criteria that aren’t available in lower budget ranges but this would be unusual and in general I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences), just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

[quote]The sales guy said try this “Spink in Edgar” it felt just like the ViSpring. To be honest I could tell no difference?? The model we looked at was the Angora 9000

Natural and Chemical Free Fire Barrier
3 All natural filling material pads of Angora, Alpaca, Yorkshire Wool, Egyptian cotton, hemp and flax
4 Layers of HD micro coils (8,320)
7’’ Comfort Core Innerspring with Quantum Edge Perimeter (1,076)
1 All natural hemp insulator pad
Total coil count: 9,396 coils
20 Year Non-Prorated Warranty[/quote]

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will feel for someone else or whether it would be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP … the natural fibers and the microcoils and the Comfort Core pocket coils are all good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress. There is more about microcoils that are used in comfort layers in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here.

The basic materials would be the same so there would be no issues with the quality of the materials but the models would probably be somewhat different in each country. You would need to know the more detailed specifics of the mattress and each of the layers and components inside it such as the type and blend of all the fiber layers and the gsm (grams per square meter) for each layer and the specifics of the wire gauge and coil count for the pocket coil and each of the microcoil layers to know whether it’s identical to any of the UK models but this information wouldn’t tell you anything about whether a mattress would be a suitable choice for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

While the Vi Spring and Spinks & Edgar mattresses you are looking at are certainly high quality choices … the quality of a mattress and the suitability of a mattress are completely different issues. I’m not so sure I would limit your search to mattresses that are in the same general category (innersprings and thicker layers of natural fibers in the case of the Vi Spring and innerspring with microcoils and natural fibers as well) since there may be other types of mattresses that are just as comfortable, just as durable, and that may be just as suitable in terms of PPP that are in other mattress categories and in lower budget ranges as well.

There are also some other innerspring/natural fiber mattresses in post #4 here but you would need to check their websites or call them to see if any of them have any dealers that are close to you.

While there are many innerspring mattresses that use microcoils as one of the components in the mattress (in combination with various types of foam or fiber layers) … off the top of my head the only other one that is somewhat widely available that uses multiple layers of microcoils would be some of the Berkeley Ergonomics models.

Once again though … the only way to know how any of them would compare for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP would be based on your own testing or personal experience since every mattress category will have a very wide range of different mattresses and some of them may be a great “match” for you and some of them may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for all the helpful info. I did a ton of reading and checked out the manufacturers you listed. I really like the My Green Mattress, “Natural Escape”. Please see specs below.

NATURAL QUILTED COVER

All Natural Joma wool and soft organic cotton fabric quilted cover.
100% NATURAL LATEX
Three inches of 100% natural latex allows for comfortable restorative sleep.
INNERSPRING
968 pocketed coil spring system with a firmer seating edge
Mattress finishes at 11" in height

The latex used is Dunlop, I could really only find reviews on the Pure Echo. Most good then a ton of people said it was super firm, similar to sleeping on the floor with a blanket or 2 under you. The “natural escape” is supposed to medium to medium firm.

I did get a chance to lay on the Green Sleeps “natures nest” I loved this matters, though the price is much, much higher than the Natural Escape. Would these mattresses be similar? Thanks so much for all your help:0)

Bryce

Hi Bryce720,

The Natural Escape uses very high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

As you know … My Green Mattress is also one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency so the Natural Escape would be a great quality/value choice that would be well worth considering.

It’s also a different mattress with a different design than either the Pure Echo or the Green Sleep Nature’s Rest or any of the other mattresses you mentioned earlier in this topic so the only way to know how it would compare to any of the other mattresses you were considering in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP would be based on your own personal experience and comparisons.

I would also keep in mind that there are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include My Green Mattress) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Because your own personal experience is the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … the exchange/return policy (and any costs involved) can also be a more important part of the “value” of an online purchase just in case (and in spite of the “best judgement” of everyone involved) the choice you make doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the fast reply. I talked to Tim at My Green Mattress. 1st and foremost he is a very nice, informative gentleman. Never got frustrated or upset with all of my questions. I have made up my mind 99% and will shoot him a call back Monday if we decided to go with that mattress. So the mattress uses pocketed coils, 3" of Dunlop which is on the firmer side. I am thinking of having him add 3/4 of wool on top of the latex to give the bed not so much of a latex feel, if that makes sense. Or we could add a 1" piece of Tallalay on top of the dunlop instead of the wool?? Wanted to see what your thoughts were on adding the wool. He said we could also go with a Tallalay latex if the I think the dunlop will be too firm?? Of course the cost of the mattress would be higher. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Bryce720,

The Natural Escape already includes a wool quilted cover and adding more wool probably won’t have as significant an effect on the firmness of the mattress as adding another inch of softer latex (either Talalay or Dunlop) or using a softer latex comfort layer (again either Talalay or Dunlop).

I would keep in mind that both Talalay and Dunlop come in a wide range of firmness levels (ILD’s) so either one can feel firmer than the other one depending on the specific firmness of the layer. If they are both “rated” as the same ILD then for most people Talalay would probably feel softer than the Dunlop. Talalay will also have a different and more resilient “feel” than Dunlop. There is more about some of the general differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but the choice between them would be a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and the only reliable way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own personal experience.

I haven’t slept on any of their mattresses so I don’t know any of them would feel for me but even if I had what works well for me or different combinations of materials and components that I would tend to prefer and my own personal experience on a mattress or what I would consider to be soft or firm may be very different from your own. Again … they will be your best source of guidance and will know more about their own mattresses and how any of the custom options that you are considering may feel for someone else based on their years of direct experience and on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you than anyone else (including me).

Phoenix