Spinning Head

Okay…having spent hour upon hour reading various reviews of various mattresses, trying to wade my way through your how to choose guide, looking at multiple mattresses making multiple claims for this, that, and everything else, my head is spinning :sick: ! We’ve eliminated tempurpedic and sleep # and have almost settled on a Saatva. But…my head continues to spin. My wife and I are elderly, overweight, and have back problems. My wife needs to sleep with her head elevated slightly more than 2 pillows worth of height. We need firm but not too firm–not a board, in other words. We only have major brand retailers in our area and don’t have the energy to endure their sales pitches and other b.s. Saatva seems good. And yes, we’ve read a bunch of posts here about them. Is there something in their price range which is as good or preferably better that you could suggest? One of the issues we take into consideration is return policy. Saatva’s seems very good if we choose the wrong comfort level or size. Many places won’t even let you return once the plastic covering is off the mattress. So…please help my head to stop spinning…if you can. :slight_smile:

Hi JMichael,

It’s always a good idea to do at least some local testing (even if you are considering an online purchase) so you can have a better sense of the types of mattresses and materials that you tend to prefer. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

You can see some of my thoughts about Saatva in post #1 here. While they are a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream mattresses … the tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that I would also include in your research and would be well worth considering in terms of their quality/value if you are looking at an online purchase.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=44562]Hi JMichael,

It’s always a good idea to do at least some local testing (even if you are considering an online purchase) so you can have a better sense of the types of mattresses and materials that you tend to prefer. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

You can see some of my thoughts about Saatva in post #1 here. While they are a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream mattresses … the tutorial post includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that I would also include in your research and would be well worth considering in terms of their quality/value if you are looking at an online purchase.

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, Phoenix! Our zip code is 21784. I’ve seen the list and looked at a couple of the members. The ones we saw only sold latex mattresses and my wife doesn’t really want one of those. I’ll look again and see if there’s anything else that looks good. In the meantime, I’ll also await your reply. Thanks again!

One other thing–in your thread about Saatva mattresses you say, “… but it’s also fair to say that there are other similar mattresses in a comparable or better quality/value range that would also be well worth considering.” Can you say which ones you were referring to?

Hi JMichael,

Different members sell different mattresses that range from latex, memory foam, and innersprings along with various hybrids depending on which ones you are looking at but it would be a good idea to do some local testing to get a better sense of the types of mattresses and materials you tend to prefer.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around your area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in the Baltimore list in post #2 here and in the Leesburg/Frederick list in post #2 here (with some overlap between them).

Phoenix