Split head king latex question

So we began our bed search online doing research and thanks to this site i was able to resolve alot of what i thought i wanted vs what i really was looking for, so thank you for that.

We decided we wanted all latex due to the size difference between my wife and I (sheā€™s 5ā€™6 130 and im 5ā€™9 250) we also knew we wanted to customize the two sides. We set out on trying to test a few options locally and while our options were limited we accomplished our goal.

Fox Mattress - nice people but they glue the layers and wont do it any other way so because ive had major weight swings in the past and am currently working on a downward trend this was not an option for us as id want to be able to switch up the layers or possibly replace the layers down the road.

Relax in comfort - they are a savvy rest - comfortaire - reverie mattress and adjustable dealer. So we tested the reverie with the dream cells and although it felt pretty good it didnā€™t compare to the savvy rest. This is where it gets more difficult as my original plan was to test the savvy rest to find the layer combo and then order from one of the preferred online dealers - either ez or fsf, however at this store they (according to them) exclusively offer the savvy rest in a split top or flex top design so only the top 1/3 is split allowing for an adjustable bed with independent movement of the top. Now up until experiencing this we were never considering the adjustable because my wife and I are very different in our sleeping positions and thus would never likely find a happy medium and we were not willing to do a true split as the dividing line would in our opinion create a romantic divide as well. So long story short if we decide we want to move to the adjustable its making all other options out of the question. My biggest question is are there any pitfalls to this design other than the more expensive split top fitted sheets? Last in the demo they were raising the bottom independently as well but thatā€™s not split it related a ramp effect on the mattress which wasnā€™t bothersome in the testing but again i do wonder what that would do long term. I donā€™t know if you can link the adjustables for only the bottom half to work in unison vs top half independent. This version with only the top third sperate was what was so appealing.

Other question is do any of the custom makers offer this split head configuration, I donā€™t see it listed on sleep ez or fsf

Hi Mrhdvrod,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad the information on the site was useful for you.

Congratulations on your weight loss, and continued success. One of the advantages of a component mattress system is the ability to be able to customize the product for certain conditions, such as weight loss. Fox Mattress is a member here, which means I think highly of them, but unfortunately they didnā€™t feature the componentry you desired.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can ā€œmatchā€ or ā€œapproximateā€ another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€ so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isnā€™t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses. If you do end up trying to approximate your Savvy Rest configurations, a phone call with either SleepEZ or Foam Sweet Foam (both members here of the site) will be your best choice of action to attempt to recreate what you selected in your Savvy Rest configuration, as they are experienced with that line and how it compares to their own.

While having two separate twin extra long mattresses can result in a bit of a divide in the center, two twin extra long latex mattresses next to each other will provide less of a ā€œdividing lineā€ than two innerspring mattresses, as the latex is more flexible and itā€™s cut at a 90 degree angle, allowing for less of a radius where the two mattresses meet. Were you able to try two twin extra long latex mattresses side by side in either of the showrooms you visited to see if you didnā€™t like it?

I couldnā€™t find any information about this split upper third configuration for the Savvy Rest on The Relax in Comfort web site. Savvy Rest doesnā€™t offer such a configuration on their own web site, so perhaps Relax in Comfort is having a custom casing made by the vendor Savvy Rest uses, or perhaps theyā€™re using the split encasement that they use for their ComfortAire mattresses. Did they tell you is the casing is the same GOTS certified one that Savvy Rest has made for them? If youā€™re able to find out this information or post any links it would be interesting to see and learn about.

This split configuration has been used recently by a few air bed manufacturers, but it is not something commonly offered elsewhere. Things change in the industry quickly with new innovations, and itā€™s not something that Iā€™d be able to keep up to date with all of the new offerings from every manufacturer. That task would unfortunately be an impossibility for me or anyone else. :slight_smile: You are correct in that you would need to find specialized mattress pads and fitted sheets, so that is a bit of a downside.

Iā€™m not exactly certain as to what youā€™re describing for the ā€œramp effectā€ of the bottom part of the adjustable bed bases. Ideally youā€™d want the bottom part of the power bases linked so that they move in unison, and then of course the upper sections would be moving independently. This would be another question for Relax in Comfort, as when most adjustable bed bases are pairs, both the bottom and head move in unison, and I didnā€™t find any information regarding this on their web site. Perhaps theyā€™re using adjustable bed bases for use with their ComfortAire upper split products that are specifically programmed to pair on the bottom of the bases (which is what youā€™d want). As a consumer, Iā€™d want to be completely familiar with the entire range of motion of the power foundations and how they are coordinated with each other.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out if youā€™re able to discover any of the information weā€™ve discussed here from Relax in Comfort.

Phoenix

A little more information, savvy rest makes the special gots certified case for them, and ships them with the customers configuration. The bases they use are leggett and platt, seems similar to the scape + but it has black fabric but also doesnā€™t have the features of the p line for LP. They also sell bases and beds from reverie, which they also have the split top king reverie bed with the dream cells, that one you can see on reveries site as well.

When I say ramp Iā€™m describing that although the top is split the bottom is not and when demoing the savvy and reverie they would show adjusting just one side of the bottom as well even though thatā€™s not split (at least not on the mattress case, which threw me off. I did ask and they commented that it would be fine, but Iā€™m not so sure about that. I looked on Leggett and Plattā€™s website and canā€™t see anything thatā€™s says I can keep the two top sides independent but link the bottom only. I could also go with one of the reverie adjustable s but same issue I canā€™t see where the two sides can be linked but not if you can link just the bottom and not the top.

Ias I said the only downside to all of this is we are actually very interested in this split top design but to save a few dollars I was originally thinking FSF or EZ but as I said it doesnā€™t appear anyone else makes these cases for a latex bed

Hi Mrhdvrod,

Thank you for the clarification and additional information ā€“ I appreciate it.

You are correct that it is not a normal feature to link two twin extra long base units and only have the foot section linked and allow the head section to move independently. I would have the same concern as you about coordinating the foot section adjustments of both bases in order to not place undue stress upon the cover holding the latex together (although the Savvy Rest covers are quite strong).

Being Sunday, I havenā€™t been able to get some replies regarding some of your other questions about the covers, so I hope to have a bit more information in a day or two, and once I do Iā€™ll certainly post back here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Iā€™m hoping if this is my only option to get this split top configuration that savvy will have the same 20% off Black Friday sale I see they had in 2014, that will at least get me a little closer price wise to where Iā€™d like to be.

Hi Mrhdvrod,

Foam order does offer customer sized covers. Iā€™m not sure if they have the ticking style that you desire, but a phone call to them might be helpful if you see something you desire.

DIY Natural Bedding does offer custom sized covers. You may wish to phone them to see if they have the material you desire and can create your specific shape with the split in the upper third.

Latex Mattress Factory offers custom covers as well.

Those are a few you can look at (if you havenā€™t already) and see if they offer a cover you like and then you can phone them to see if they can make the custom cover with the split you desire. Iā€™m still working on gathering information from a few more companies.

Phoenix

Hi Mrhdvrod,

I just figured out your screen name ā€“ I hope youā€™re still able to get some good riding in this time of year.

Iā€™ve gone through my resources and I think your original thoughts might be correct that the Savvy Rest cover might be your only option for what you desire. I havenā€™t been able to find anyone else stocking an item like this, and my best guesses turned up negative. Aside from some phone calls you might wish to make to the links I provided earlier to see if they are able/willing to produce this special split cover, my only other thought would be contact Select Comfort or ComfortAire to see if they would sell you a cover separately and if the thickness was conducive to your project.

Please keep me updated on your progress.

Phoenix

I moved to Florida from Michigan so I could ride year round, and pretty much do except for a few weeks in may and September during love bug season (I donā€™t need the extra protein!) of course I no longer ride a Vrod, I know ride a Rushmore edition ultra classic limited, itā€™s a little more plush :wink:

Well the wife and I discussed it and while the split top is interesting the reality is we went into this to get a more comfortable mattress and not an adjustable and mattress and frankly even with 50 month 0% interest 10k is more than I want to spend right now. Soooooooo we are going to go with sleep ez instead. Taking a the similar build we tested on the savvy except the savvy was a serenity with a harmony topper and now we are going to go 13" on the Ez keeping all layers in 1 container.

Hi Mrhdvrod,

Well, that Rushmore is certainly beautiful and looks more comfortable than the V-Rod. I know what you mean about the bugs! But the trade-off for more riding time in Florida versus Michigan is probably worth it. :wink:

Iā€™m glad you took the time to analyze things as part of your personal value equation to help guide you through your decision making process. Sometimes itā€™s as simple as a pros/cons list on a legal pad.

Congratulations on your new mattress! As you know, SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, especially as to how they compare to brands like Savvy Rest, so I hope the configuration youā€™ve chosen will be an acceptable approximation.

Iā€™ll look forward to your comments about your new mattress once youā€™ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while. Hopefully it will provide some nice comfort after a nice long ride.

Phoenix