Split Latex Mattress?

I am looking at ordering a 9" California King size latex mattress from SleepEZ and I see one of the options is a Cal King Split. Is it safe to assume that means I would get 6 pieces of latex and could configure them any way I wanted to? How hard is it to unzip the cover and move the layers around and get them to lay properly?

Thanks!

Hi frisbeewife,

Yes there would be 6 pieces of latex in the mattress (3 on each side). There is more about split layering in post #2 here.

Handling latex can be somewhat tricky because it’s so elastic and “floppy” and can be bunched inside the cover and will also tend to “stick” to the layer below it. The trick is to lift the layers and wave or flick them into position and avoid pulling or tugging which can rip the latex and can leave it sitting unevenly in the cover. There are some videos in post #12 here that will give you a good sense of what’s involved in assembling a component latex mattress and once you get the hang of it it’s much easier and relatively simple.

Phoenix

We have a SleepEZ Queen Split. Swapping layers isn’t difficult if you follow the instructions.

The fun part that comes with buying a new bed is being able to arrange your own personal comfort level. You won’t regret it.

One more question - if DH and I both have the same sleep requirements, is there any disadvantage to ordering single layers instead of split layers? The cost difference isn’t really that much for the split layers, compared to the overall cost of the mattress and foundation. It seems like the split layers would be easier to handle (especially since we plan to move in the next 6 months) and would be lighter when it comes to lifting the corners to tuck in sheets, blankets, etc. Am I missing some advantage the single layer would have over the split layers other than the cost differential?

Thanks again for all the great advice! I almost miss the good ol’ days where your choices were springs or waterbeds - it was so much less confusing :slight_smile:

[Just kidding - an informed consumer is a good consumer…]

Hi frisbeewife,

The SleepEZ split layering is the same cost as a solid layer so cost differential wouldn’t be a factor. As you mentioned there really isn’t a down side to split layering and it will allow each of you to configure each side differently if your experience indicates that your ideal layering turns out to be different and it is also easier to handle and move split layers than solid layers. It really wouldn’t make any difference in lifting the corners of the mattress to tuck in the sheets though because a split layer weighs the same as a solid layer.

Some people are worried about feeling the split between the layers in the middle of the mattress but with a suitable tight fitting quilted cover such as SleepEZ uses and if the layers are assembled correctly and evenly and both sides are the same combination of layers then you wouldn’t feel a difference in firmness between the sides where each side comes together and you also won’t feel the split.

Phoenix

I called SleepEZ and asked the question “How often do you get complaints about the split in the middle” and the answer I got agreed with Phoenix… They claimed it was no concern since the latex “grabs” onto itself and does not slip around.