Split Queen Size Mattress

Hi Phoenix,
My name is Jay R.
I have been following The Mattress Underground for about a month and have really enjoyed reading the threads. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a purchase but have a few unanswered questions that do not seem to addressed in any of the threads on your site.
I am hoping that you will be able to direct me in the right direction.
My wife and I, are have significant weight differences and believe we would need split comfort levels to accommodate our comfort levels. We live in South East Florida and have been unable to find a dealer that can build what we think or believe we need.

We are both side sleepers.
I have arthritis in the hip I sleep on.
My wife is 56 years old 5’5" 235 lbs.
I am 60 years old 5’8" 175 lbs.

We are considering purchasing a split comfort Queen from one or your below vendor recommendations.

1. Would a split comfort level mattress create a ridge between the two of us? Meaning when we are lying in bed would one of us be lower than the other creating a separation of the two sides or ridge between the two of us?

2. Are you able to recommend between layers one and two on each side being Talalay layers or layer one Talalay and layer two Dunlop?

3. Based on my description of both sleepers do you think my basic configuration regarding comfort levels are on track or would you recommend a different firmness combination?

4. Last but not least since I have room for either a California King or Eastern King would that help alleviate my possible separation concern?

Flexus Comfort
Each layer is a 3 inches plus the Cover
Side 1 from the Top Down Side 2 from the Top Down
Soft 100% Natural Talalay Medium 100% Natural Talalay
Medium 100% Natural Dunlop Firm 100% Natural Dunlop
Firm 100% Natural Dunlop X Firm 100% Natural Dunlop
X Firm 100% Natural Dunlop X Firm 100% Natural Dunlop

Sleep EZ Organic Latex Mattress 13000
Each layer is a 3 inches plus the Cover
Side 1 from the Top Down Side 2 from the Top Down
Soft 100% Natural Talalay Medium 100% Natural Talalay
Medium 100% Natural Talalay Firm 100% Natural Talalay
Firm 100% Natural Dunlop X Firm 100% Natural Dunlop
X Firm 100% Natural Dunlop X Firm 100% Natural Dunlop

Thanks in advance,
Jay R.

Hi jayize,

I noticed that you registered with your email as your username which means that automated spambots will be able to harvest your email and add you to their spam lists. If you’d like I can remove the @ and the domain after it and change your username to just jayize (or any username you wish).

The first part of post #2 here has more about different methods that can be used to accommodate couples with different needs and preferences or body types.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

There will be a difference in firmness between the two sides of course and people that have different weights will always sink in more or less deeply than a partner that has a different weight or sleeping position on any mattress (whether it is split or not) but with a side by side split mattress that has a suitable tight fitting quilted cover there won’t be a ridge or a split between the sides. There is more about the pros and cons of split layering in post #2 here.

The choice between Dunlop and Talalay is always a preference choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the differences betweenTalalay and Dunlop latex in post #7 here.

I don’t make specific recommendations for mattresses or layering (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences and which of the firmness and layering options they have available will have the best chance of success than anyone else.

Phoenix

Yes, Please change my user name

Yes, please change my user name to “jayize”

Hi jayize,

Done :slight_smile:

Phoenix