spring or memory foam

Hi,

I am looking to buy a mattress and need advise . I was intially going for a spring matress due to low cost but then saw on internet that they arent comfortable, I saw a trick where people bought spring mattress and topped it with a memory foam topper ( 4 inches ) which provided comfort .If i go for a full memory foam mattress it will be expensive . Other than that I have seen a matress which is spring but it is Euro TOP means it has a comfort layer on top . I do know that spring mattress will wear and tear out in a few years but I dont care as of now since I am an expat and I dont have plans to live here for 10-15 years .

Please advise which one should I go for , there is just a different of 10 dollars here with Euro top .

8" THICK- ORTHOPEDIC- MIRAGE- QUILTED TOP- SPRING MATTRESS QUEEN - 160 CAD

9" THICK- COMFORTABLE SLEEP- FX EURO PILLOW TOP MATTRESS- , QUEEN SIZE - 170 CAD

8" THICK MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS- QUEEN - 265 CAD

Source: https://mysleepfurniture.net

these prices doesnt include tax or delivery charges.

Hi anjan42,

I’m not sure where you are getting your information but most of what you believe just isn’t accurate.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

Every category of mattresses (including innerspring or memory foam mattresses) can include hundreds or even thousands of different mattresses with different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer both above and below it so each category will generally include some mattresses that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) and others that use the same type of materials and are in the same category but have a different design that may be very uncomfortable and may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on even if the actual materials are the same. While testing local mattresses can give you a sense of how you feel about different materials or different types of mattresses in very general terms … the only way to know whether you like a specific mattress or whether it will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or your personal experience.

When you sleep on a mattress the upper layers of foam will compress and deflect more than the deeper layers or components partly because the comfort layers are usually made to be softer than the deeper transition and support layers or components of a mattress (and firmness/softness is also a factor in the durability of a material) and partly because they are closer to the sleeping surface and subject to direct compression without any layers above them absorbing some of the compression forces first. It’s this constant deflection of the materials in the upper layers of the mattress that softens and breaks down the foam and leads to the loss of comfort and support in the mattress. This will also happen more under the heavier parts of the body such as the hips/pelvis than the lighter parts of the body. This is why the quality/durability of the upper layers (the top 3" to 6" of the mattress) are especially important in the durability and useful life of the mattress as a whole because they will usually be the weakest link in the mattress in terms of durability. Innersprings in general are a very durable component and it’s the foam layers above the innerspring (if they are lower quality and less durable materials which is usually the case with major brand mattresses) that will generally be the weakest link in an innerspring mattress.

There is more about many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here.

Although this can be a good strategy if you can test the mattress/topper combination in person before a purchase … you can see my comments about choosing a firmer mattress first with the intention of adding a topper later in post #2 here. In most cases I would avoid this approach because of the uncertainty involved with two purchase choices instead of only one and choosing a topper that would be suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) for a specific person on a specific mattress can sometimes be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place. I would generally focus on choosing a mattress that is likely to be a suitable match without a topper (again unless you can test the combination in person or you are purchasing both online as a set and they both have a good return/exchange policy) and then use the option to add a topper as a “backup” strategy in case your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for rather than a “primary” strategy.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can find out all the information about all the layers and components in each of the mattresses you mentioned (see this article) then I’d be happy to make some comments about the durability of the materials inside them and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern. Without this information it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about any mattress.

If for any reason the retailer you are dealing with is either unable or unwilling to provide you with the information you need to assess the durability and useful life of the mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses then I would avoid the mattress completely because it would be a very high risk purchase.

Since you appear to be in the Toronto or GTA area … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #1 here.

Phoenix

ADMIN NOTE: This was originally a reply to post #2 here but was switched into a new topic of its own.

Hello,

Is there any difference in the price? Which one is cheaper? I am living in Australia and thinking to buy memory foam mattress.

@Phoenix what are you suggesting me to buy pocket spring or memory foam?

Hi zacharybloch,

I switched your post into a new topic of it’s own since you are in a different country than the member that posted the original topic.

It would depend on the specific mattresses you were comparing. Both types of mattresses come in a very wide range of prices and some memory foam mattresses would be more costly than some spring mattresses and vice versa.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

Unfortunately … I don’t have any particular knowledge about the Australian market so I won’t be able to help much in terms of specific retailers or manufacturers I’m aware of there but the steps involved in choosing a mattress would be the same and the mattress materials that are used in Australia would generally be the same as the materials in North America. I would also read post #2 here (except replace “Israel” with “Australia”).

Post #2 here also includes links to most of the forum topics from Australia and post #7 here includes a list of many Australian manufacturers and retailers and a few comments about some of them as well that will hopefully be helpful as well.

Phoenix