St Dormeir vs Cozypure cotton knit with/without wool puddle pad vs smartsilk protectors

Hi All,
I’m trying to decide what protector /pad to use on our latex bed. It’s a 2+3+6 talalay with a cotton cover with wool. The ild’s are 19, 24, 38 approximately. I don’t want waterproof and I don’t want to change the feel too much but I would like to find that balance of protection and feel. Im tempted to just put the Cozypure cotton knit on and call it a day but after reading how much moisture we lose at night I’m second guessing it because Im a very hot sleeper. So I was thinking of adding a layer of wool. I like the idea of separate layers but I’m thinking that might be stiffer than the St Dormeir. The Cozypure cotton knit would be stretchier than the dormeir and the puddle pad would only be roughly 1/8" thick ( I don’t know the weight) but without comparing them it’s hard to say. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
BTW. Has anyone used the smartsilk protector? It has a water resistant membrane and I’ve heard the silk does a great job regulating temp. The only drawback I’ve found without actually feeling it is that the cover is woven cotton not knit.

Hi Rosellie,

You’ve probably read this already but post #89 here has some general information about the different types of mattress protectors that can help you decide on the pros and cons of each of them and the tradeoffs that are involved with each of the different types.

Hopefully some of the members here that have had some personal experience with more than one of them will see your post and share their comments about how they compare.

The Smartsilk is a mattress pad and would be a little thicker and less "stretchy than some other protectors which means that it could have more of an effect on the mattress than mattress protectors that are more stretchy or thinner.

A forum search on smartsilk (you can just click the link) will bring up the forum posts that mention it and some comments about silk in general and there are some brier comments about silk mattress pads in post #10 here as well but unfortunately none of the members that either purchased it or were considering it came back to share their experience.

There are also some comments about a different silk mattress pad in this topic that may also be helpful.

I didn’t realize that the smartsilk mattress pad had a semi breathable/water resistant membrane (it only says that it contains “Water repellent non-woven materials”) but if it does it would reduce the breathability of the mattress pad to some degree. I talked with Costco and they emailed the manufacturer to ask what the non woven material was and they will email me as soon as they get a reply.

Phoenix

I talked with customer service at smartsilk. They could not tell me how the membrane was made. Only that it’s non-woven and water resistant not waterproof. She also said the cover does not stretch. I ordered one from costco just to see.

Hi Roselli,

The good news about buying from Costco is they have a great return policy so if you don’t like the Smartsilk mattress pad then you can return it for a refund.

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback about it when you receive it.

If it has an actual membrane then it would be similar in terms of performance to other semi breathable water resistant membranes that are used in other mattress protectors. Most of them are made from polurethane but there are also other types as well that work on similar principles.

There is some more technical information about different types of membranes in some of the links in post #2 here but knowing the actual manufacturing details of the membrane would be less important than how it works “as a whole” on your mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix