St. Dormeir vs Organic Stretch Knit Cotton Mattress Protector

I’m buying the Berkeley Ergonomics Mediterranean 3 firm mattress and have narrowed down my choice of mattress protector to either the St. Dormeir (100% natural wool) or an organic stretch knit Oeko-Tex certified cotton mattress protector that the store where I’m buying my mattress sells, so I assume this mattress protector is also from Berkeley Ergonomics since on the store’s website it says it’s the same cotton that covers their mattresses. The St. Dormeir is on sale for $127 and the organic stretch-knit cotton protector is being sold for $169. What are the pros/cons to both? Why would I want water-resistance from the wool? Is that just for people who sweat a lot? Anyone have any experiences with either or both?

Hi mapadoobu,

Post #89 here about the pros and cons of different types of protectors should help :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I did read that post. Is it safe to say then that the organic stretch knit cotton is more breathable than the St. Dormeir and does that lead to better temperature regulation? And I’m also assuming by reading the post that the stretch knit cotton would be most “comfortable”. And could you tell me how big of a deal having water resistance vs. not having any water resistance is? I’m imagining that water resistance is for people who sweat a lot and for the rare chance that you spill something on the mattress?

Hi mapadoobu,

The cotton stretch would be a little more conforming like a thick jersey sheet so it would have a little less effect on the mattress but it would be less water resistant and more along the lines of protecting the mattress from “normal” perspiration and body oils. It would probably have a nicer “surface feel” as well (again more like a sheet).

The wool would have a bit more effect on the feel of the mattress because it’s a little less stretchy and conforming and is water resistant (not waterproof).

Both are very breathable but the wool has the ability to hold higher levels of moisture than cotton without feeling damp so in terms of temperature regulation the wool would have the advantage (the cotton cover would wick the moisture into the wool which would store it inside the fiber and release it slowly into the atmosphere).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Do you think it would be redundant to get the St. Dormeir since the BE mattress already has a wool encased by cotton zippered cover over the mattress.

The organic stretch knit cotton mattress protector/cover that the dealer says is one made by Berkeley so I’m wondering whether it’s true that if one sticks with products made from the company who made the mattress since they probably knows what feels best?

Hi mapadoobu,

No … the protector can be removed and cleaned much more easily than the cover.

I don’t know if they make their protectors themselves but either way they would certainly be knowledgeable about how their products interacted with their own mattresses and the pros and cons of each and in my experience they choose the products they carry carefully. I think highly of the knowledge level of the people I have talked with at Berkeley Ergonomics retailers and in general I would trust the suggestions they offer. I don’t know if a product would necessarily be “better” just because it’s sold by the same retailer as a mattress but if you are dealing with knowledgeable people my own thoughts are that choosing a suitable protector and buying it from them is probably worth the time and effort it would take to find a comparable product that may be slightly better “value” in an “apples to apples” comparison but then I also “value” this kind of knowledge and service highly and don’t begrudge paying paying slightly more for it (if that is even the case) in exchange for the research time, effort, and frustration it may involve in finding something else that was comparable. Others of course may think differently and may choose to take the time to do the research to see what else was available that was functionally the same that could save them a few dollars.

Phoenix