Stackable Latex designs - do they shift around?

I read a reviewer talking about the SleepEZ saying every 2 weeks the layers shift around uneven and he has to open and rearrange. Maybe he is sleeping right in the middle of the two? I got that impression a bit from his review. We should be sleeping on our assigned sides…

They are heavy with much surface area contact. Latex against latex is about like having them glued together due to the weight and friction. I’d venture to say that that reviewer is having some extraordinary adventures on that mattress! :silly:

Hi jaybackintheday,

Like Abraxas (now Mark in Texas), I also think the review you are looking at is an anomaly out of all the many thousands of component latex mattresses that have been sold over the years by SleepEz and other manufacturers that also make component latex mattresses (see post #2 here). It may also have a different “agenda” than just sharing their experience (some companies will post misleading information about their competitors mattresses).

You can read more in post #15 here and the post it links to about loose latex layers and shifting.

Phoenix

We got a Sleep EZ mattress and have not had any problems with the layers shifting around.

Thanks - yea I can picture how they would stick together naturally very well. Not too concerned about it and moving forward with the purchase

Thanks!

Also, do you feel the 4 layers of latex 12" vs the 3 layers 9" would be more than needed for someone 260ish or would the 4 layers be a real advantage? I can picture how thickness up to a certain point may actually increase a hammock effect maybe? I notice on the foam sweet foam they say:

We assemble mattresses using the Mini-Stack System. We sell them with 2, 3, or 4 layers of 3″ Latex. Occasionally, someone submits an order for a 5 layer mattress. The 12″ offers the most options and the most comfort. To borrow a quote from one of our customers, “you should buy as thick as you can afford.” We would agree. Many people visit our showroom intending to buy a 9″, but end up buying a 12″ because of the extra comfort it provides.

Bottom Line: If you weigh over 260 pounds, go to bed in pain every night, or would like the most comfort available in a mattress, we recommend the 12″ mattress. If you don’t want to spend the extra money on that 4th layer, we recommend the 9″. It is a great mattress and likely more comfortable than what you are currently sleeping on. We recommend the 6″ mattress if headroom above the bed is an issue (sailboat, camper, bottom bunk, etc.) or if you are on a tight budget. If you want to give it your best shot, the 12″ is probably the way to go. With any of the 3 choices, you will get a very good Latex Mattress with a 30 Year Warranty.

Hi jackbackintheday,

Whether it creates a hammock effect would depend on the specifics of the layers (thickness is one of several factors along with ILD, compression modulus, point elasticity, and others that can affect softness, pressure relief, and alignment, and how far you sink into a mattress with different parts of your body). There is more information in post #14 here about the effects of thickness. At 260 lbs you are likely in a range where an extra layer and greater thickness than the more “standard” 8" to 9" would be more noticeable and may be a preference or allow for a design that is more customizable (if there are more component layers) or more suitable for you in terms of PPP but like everything else connected to mattresses it would depend on the specifics of the design and on the sensitivity and preferences of the person.

Phoenix