Stearns & Foster Golden Elegance Alternative

So after a ton of mattress shopping the mattress I like the best is the Stearns and Foster Golden Elegance (CA King) in their middle firmness version (e.g. not the plush and not thefirm). I am 6’1, 230lbs - and a relatively muscular guy and just seem to naturally prefer the feel of a good pocket coil mattress. I tend to sleep on my stomach but that’s not a definite as I will move about from time to time as I sleep or lay in bed reading/working on my back. After the pocket coils I find the gel hybrids the next most comfortable and enjoy the idea of a cooler bed, though I’m not altogether convinced the gel really accomplishes as much as they’d like you to believe what with the use of sheets, etc. . As for the Stearns and Foster Golden Elegance I’m given to understand that the foam layer of the mattress is the weak link and the brand name price means I’ll be spending much more than I should.

I live in Los Angeles and am looking for alternatives/superior mattresses at a better price. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi sacredrage,

You’re certainly correct on both counts.

While the Golden Elegance uses some good quality materials in the mattress including 3" of natural latex (I’m not sure if this is 100% natural or a blend), horsehair, a very good quality coil, and wool and cashmere in the cover (although the cashmere may be a very low percentage) … it also has either 3" (see here) or 4" (see here) of supersoft and hypersoft polyfoam in the top layers which have an undisclosed density/quality (likely in the midrange of foam quality) and would be enough for me to pass it by even if it was in a budget range that was half the price. The polyfoam would have much too high a risk of premature softening and breakdown and the loss of comfort and support that goes with it and it’s hard to justify its use in layers this thick in a mattress that is well over $3000 (queen mattress only). You are basically sleeping on 3" - 4" of polyfoam of questionable quality.

You can read a little more about the factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here and there is more about the different types of gel foams and how they can affect sleeping temperature in post #9 here. In most cases the claims for the cooling effect of gel memory foam is more than the reality although they do have some temporary effect on temperature which can vary depending on the percentage of gel in the material.

In case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your mattress research is the tutorial post here and when you get to step 3 and are ready to test mattresses some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Would you be willing to pretend that I am as dumb as I probably really am and just make a specific mattress/company recommendation for me given my interest in the Stearns and Foster? LIke, literally, which mattress should I get? Or, given the exact stearns and foster mattress,what changes should I make so I can just go to a custom builder and say, “Make the GE but change this, this,and this.”

Hi sacredrage,

Unfortunately there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences and there is no formula that exists that would allow anyone to choose a mattress for someone else out of all the thousands of mattresses that are available on the market (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Each mattress is unique and unless you use the exact same layers and components and construction methods in two mattresses they won’t be exactly the same (there is more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here).

The best I can do and the goal of the site is to help people with “how” to choose and to help them eliminate the worst possibilities so they can focus on the better ones. Following the steps in the tutorial post is the best way I know to help each person decide which retailer or manufacturer is worth visiting and which mattress is best for them based on their own individual criteria and preferences.

Phoenix

You want to do exactly what i want to do, go to a custom made bed maker and make an awesome mattress complete with the latex, wool, horse hair or whatever. sigh.

Have you looked into Carpe Diem mattresses? They do high end beds with the comfort layers of cotton, wool, latex on their springs. Only problem is they do it in pillow top form, and i’ve tried Hastens beds, which use that form and they were horrible compared to other luxury brands i’ve tested. But from the little i’ve read online these feel more comfy. I believe they start at the price of the Golden Elegance, and they have none of the “super soft foam” that is, from what i understand, the weak link in the GE. Wool, cotton and horse hair all settle and get firm, so no idea how long mattresses like this and ViSpring’s actually keep their integrity.

But i am no expert, worth a look and then feedback from Pheonix.

That being said, lower your expectations as far as longevity imo if you plan on buying a typical bed design (springs plus comfort layers), b/c nothing that feels like that GE will not have those foam layers and I have yet to find a spring bed with these HD foam that i guess keeps it’s integrety. The other bed that i’ve tried that feels as amazing as the GE but without the weak soft foam is Vi Spring beds, but they start at around $7k. They have no latex (soft and bouncy but lasts) but also no foam. But they will also harden because while their comfort layers (wool, fleece, horse hair) don’t break down, those settle and firm. There is no bed that feels like the GE that will not harden or get dips. Maybe that’s just my opinion but in my search once you start looking for that feeling of what beds we have become used to with the foam, you are doomed. lol.

Maybe try look at all custom bed maker within 100 miles from you, try find one(s) that have enough types of comfort layer material that they don’t have to use a lot of weak foam, then and then test out their beds, btwn the 2 of you you might be able to come up with a bed that works for you but still has inside of it what you want. There’s a guy, James in Jamestown (upstate ny) that does beds that is at the top of my list to look into when i get the funds together, maybe look into him. He has better foam then GE but i have no idea if he has all the other lux stuff or how his quilting/tufting is. You’re lucky to live in an area with a lot of options.

Until then try out the most expensive latex and/or latex plus springs bed you can, but even the $3k ones ive’ tried, they don’t feel like the GE. See if you can find a Bliss mattress near you, ppl seem to find them quite lush/lux. (ppl might say, it has nothng to do with the price but trying the most expensive ones might give you at least an idea of the best that’s possible)

oh, and look into Verlo. I actually can’t say much about them except i was on their site recently and had quite a bit of interest in their estate and elegant mattress collections. Haven’t written them yet to find out more about what’s in their mattress other than the springs and latex.

Can’t say i’m not looking at a Naturepedic Quartet, Evolve or Concerto mattress either.

As for bed makers that might be able to give you a good or similar experience,

It’s the crappy low quality foam in the GE you want to eliminate, and replace it with better foam and/or more of premium materials.

Top Layer:
New Zealand Wool Cover
FlameGuard Fiber
1" Hypersoft ®
.5 oz fiber b[/b]
1" Hypersoft ®

Comfort - Padding Layers
2" HD SuperSoft Foam
Versare
White Cashmere & Wool
3" Natural Latex (ILD depends on the model)
Horse Hair

and a few custom makers probably have the rest plus better foam.

check this guy out, he has quite a number of things you would find in a high end mattress, Springs w/ Latex + Wool + Cotton but has 2.6lb foam, which is good in small amounts i think. He’s in CT but maybe there’s someone similar near LA. that has all 5. http://media.wix.com/ugd/007f20_ae41d48462c1ed13837f3eb6da3d35be.pdf

I want to say it’s about the same price as the GE. No horse hair which i understand is kinda spongy and nice and often used in super high end mattresses (The GE, most ViSprings, etc) i feel like it’s harder to find…

I don’t know what’s up with this guy, but that tufting looks kinda scrumptious. i love silk and cashmere covers. So try find someone who has high end covers like the GE, they make a difference.
http://www.custommade.com/by/Create-A-Mattress/

and here’s one of Verlo’s but i know nothing more about them than the site but their premium line looks interesting

I’ll have to take a look at these guys in jersey in a few years, they have springs, poly (prob some good densities) latex, cotton and horsehair. I’d be suprised if they didn’t have wool, but i don’t see it mentioned. So If you visit the east coast sometimes… http://www.mycustombedding.com/

But makers can change a few things around without just replacing foam to give you a similar feel. Read up on what it is that those comfort layers you like do for the feel of the mattress and that might help in your search.